• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Considering Switching from GSA to RT

pnhmpm

I am considering switching from a 2009 GSA to an R1200RT.

I have two bikes selected at this point. A 2012 Camhead and a 2014 Wethead. The mileage is 10K less on the camhead. The accessories are the same on both bikes. The wethead is 3K more. My last RT was a 2009 model.

I am leaning towards the low miles and the 2012. I am interested in any opinions.

I am considering switching from a 2009 GSA to an R1200RT.

I have two bikes selected at this point. A 2012 Camhead and a 2014 Wethead. The mileage is 10K less on the camhead. The accessories are the same on both bikes. The wethead is 3K more. My last RT was a 2009 model.

I am leaning towards the low miles and the 2012. I am interested in any opinions.

i cant say enough good about my 13RT with 93000+ miles.....GREAT very comfortable touring bike, routinely do 600 mile daily stints....stock saddle and windscreen too...:thumb

I sold my 2015 GSA after doing Key West to Prudhoe Bay. It was bought with that ride in mind. I went back to my old standard, R1200RT, and bought a 2013 Anniversary Edition with only 7K miles on it last year. It's a much more civilized ride! Quieter, better equipped for highway miles, and did I mention quieter, much quieter. Stock seat, stock windshield (although I retained my 2005 Ztecknic aftermarket....for ADV rides, Lexan vs. plexiglass). It came equipped with the OEM Sirius radio/audio and WIFI and crash bars fore and aft. It has one less critical system...no water cooling! And, it's the end of the line.

RT v GS comparison

My riding buddy has a 16RT and I've got 17GS. We have noticed that his RT gets about 5% better gas mileage, presumably because it is more streamlined. And little things like having your hands much better protected from the weather on the RT are nice. But, too delicate for me. All those plastic pieces are expensive,; I've tipped my GS over a couple times without any damage whatsoever.

I had a 08 RT. It was a good bike. I later switched to a '17 GS. In some ways I miss the RT. They are sleek. The GS is a more general purpose bike. You can take both on B roads but rocks can chip and mar the paint and damage tupperware.

If you're already an RT guy and the GSA isn't tickling your fancy. Why bother? Some people are happy with the switch to a GS, some never consider it. If you're doing mile crunching black top, the RT. Any road in your path, A and B roads? The GSA.

The RT is going to be lighter than the GSA.
The RT likely has an edge on wind protection.
RT has more painted surfaces to mar in a tip over. If you get a ding on a GS it's more a badge of honor instead of a cringe.
Does the RT have a radio? Well, that's kinda nice. Mine didn't. Coming from an UltraClassic I missed it, but not badly.
GS's have a wider selection of farkle.
A GS with no A is kinda close in weight.
RT generally have heated seats. Not so on the GS.
The RT are a little lower in seat height.
The LC clutch appears to be easier to service when that time comes or if you keep it long enough.
LC's are a little noisier and there's no body work to mask some of those weird sounds. They do have a weird ball bearing in a blender sound at times. (Not near as bad as a F800 twin.) Cooler weather seems to be better at masking it.
I think the gearing is a little different, the RT will seem smoother at 80mph than a GS.
The LC will likely do better in a warmer climate keeping the engine cooler in traffic.

I was close to flipping back to the RT. My GS (no a) is a later model with ride modes and "cornering ABS" and the idea of utility was a little more on my mind.

Either bike is a good choice.

Back