Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: radar/laser detectors

radar/laser detectors

I'm looking to get a detector and would appreciate any input/guidance from the club. Friedle, don't bother responding because you're a nit wit.

Valentine 1
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

For radar, +1 on Valentine One.

For laser, donít bother as the narrow focus of laser equipment means that when your detector goes off youíve already been targeted and your velocity recorded. There just isnít the ďscatterĒ to work with like there is with radar.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Nitwit

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    I'm looking to get a detector and would appreciate any input/guidance from the club. Friedle, don't bother responding because you're a nit wit.
    President Friedle I like the sound of that

radar/laser detectors

Buy once, cry once ... Valentine 1. Mine is in a tankbag, so I donít bother with laser detection. As GTRider points out, when it goes off, itís too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Krmugin
    I have the Radenso motorcycle detector (no longer sold new.) I had to put it on a home made mount. I'm happier with the mount , than I am with the detector. I've got a Marc Parnes warning light that helps tons. I can't see the readout in the dayight, and can't hear the sounds over my earplugs.

The V1 has a loyal following, and I have no experience with them either way.

I'd be hard pressed to not find a detector with bluetooth connectivity, so that you could pair the detector to a headset. The Sena bluetooth adapter thingy doesn't work well for me, due to fairly constant riding and parking.

Good lock to you.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Motorcycle Radar Detector

I have an Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 and have had no issues. The nice thing about this device is that it is simple, has large illuminated buttons that can easily be activated with gloves on, is waterproof, has a visual and auditory warning, and can be secured with a top quality, vibration-free mount. I'm sure it's range and performance are not what the best automotive radar detectors offer (I have a Passport Max 2 for car use) but I can't think of a situation where you need two or three miles range. I'm very happy with it.

Kent

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Yeah, Valentine 1
    Sure itís expensive but the first ďsaveĒ and itís free.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

radar/laser5 detector

Quote Originally Posted by FELAW View Post
    either slow down so you don't need one....or get a badge, so you don't need one.

Friedle
    couldn't resist giving good obvious advice to the oblivious
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    I have an Adaptiv Technologies TPX 2.0 and have had no issues. The nice thing about this device is that it is simple, has large illuminated buttons that can easily be activated with gloves on, is waterproof, has a visual and auditory warning, and can be secured with a top quality, vibration-free mount. I'm sure it's range and performance are not what the best automotive radar detectors offer (I have a Passport Max 2 for car use) but I can't think of a situation where you need two or three miles range. I'm very happy with it.

Kent
    I too have an Adaptiv Technologies detector. It is on a shelf in my storage room. It is a good detector. But: 1) I don't do Bluetooth - no such headset. 2) I don't do wired helmet speaker. 3) It is not loud. 4) So I can't hear it. 5) I look down the road, not at my radar detector. 6) I can hear my Valentine 1 even at 80 mph. 7) So I run with my Valentine 1.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    either slow down so you don't need one....or get a badge, so you don't need one.

Friedle
    couldn't resist giving good obvious advice to the oblivious
    Or in the alternative, get a bike that can exceed even the west Texas speed limit.

I have a passport 8500ci on my 15RT, basically a hidden unit, modified by mark Parns so that volume control, controls brightness of LEDs mounted on top of glare shield, gets your attention very quickly
    Best part itís invisible to wood be thieves

https://www.rdforum.org/index.php

This is the place to get the latest on radar detectors.

Uniden R1/R3 seems to be the latest and greatest the last time I looked.

Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    I have a passport 8500ci on my 15RT, basically a hidden unit, modified by mark Parns so that volume control, controls brightness of LEDs mounted on top of glare shield, gets your attention very quickly
    Best part itís invisible to wood be thieves
    Is it invisible to the person with the flashing lights when they ask you do you know how fast you were going?

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Is it invisible to the person with the flashing lights when they ask you do you know how fast you were going?
    Yes
    Detector is located on top of front fender, placed back away,brains of thing are under right speaker, rear detector under top case, controller on lower part of left speaker, leds on top of center glare shield. With helmet sitting on handlebars Iíve been told invisible 👍