Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Scared of losing your key fob?

  1. #1
    Registered User Mark H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    178

    Scared of losing your key fob?

    Ever since I got my new R1200GS with Keyless Ride I've been concerned about losing my fob.
    These things cost a fortune to replace and they only give you one when you buy a new bike. Yes I know the little indicator on the instrumentation on the bike illuminates if the bike is running and the fob isn't in range but other than that - you are on your own - so what can you do to protect them?

    Well you could get one of these. And let me say, I have no connection to this company or the product.

    The TrackR Bravo - LINK

    ... is a very cool little tracking device (similar to the Tile - LINK) but I like this one a little more, with the main advantage being it has a replaceable battery.

    It let's you locate your key/fob (or anything, even the dog) if you misplace them using your smart-phone, or for that matter your phone via the device, and it also let's you know if you are moving more than a certain distance away from the item using "separation alerts".
    You can even attach one to your bike and locate the bike - BUT - this uses the "crowd GPS" network which may not be as developed or as wide spread as it needs to be to find a device outside of your network range.

    Very cool little bit of tech.
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

  2. #2
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    Ever since I got my new R1200GS with Keyless Ride I've been concerned about losing my fob.
    Yes I know the little indicator on the instrumentation on the bike illuminates if the bike is running and the fob isn't in range
    I missed that bit of information in the manual. Now I know why I had a yellow triangle on the bikes the other day. The bikes were idling in the garage for a couple minutes while I was checking the Clearwater lights and when I stood back I noticed a yellow triangle on each bike. When I walked up to the bikes the yellow triangles shut off before I could see what is was.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  3. #3
    Registered User Mark H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    178
    I don't remember seeing the triangle, but it does show a little "key" shaped icon.

    These BMW guys think of everything
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

  4. #4
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    4,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    I don't remember seeing the triangle, but it does show a little "key" shaped icon.

    These BMW guys think of everything
    In the RS manual, page 26, it shows a yellow triangle and a key with a ? when the key is out of range.

    It's a good feature for me. Two times in the last week after leaving the shop and stopping on the way home for fuel, I reached into my pocket to make sure I had the key before shutting off the bike.
    I have CRS, can't remember ****, and could not remember if the service manger handed me the key before I left the shop.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  5. #5
    Answers in search of question.

    Technology in search of a reason.

    Good luck!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  6. #6
    Registered User Mark H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    178
    We all fall into one of five categories -

    Innovators Innovators are willing to take risks, have the highest social status, have financial liquidity, are social and have closest contact to scientific sources and interaction with other innovators. Their risk tolerance allows them to adopt technologies that may ultimately fail. Financial resources help absorb these failures.

    Early adopters These individuals have the highest degree of opinion leadership among the adopter categories. Early adopters have a higher social status, financial liquidity, advanced education and are more socially forward than late adopters. They are more discreet in adoption choices than innovators. They use judicious choice of adoption to help them maintain a central communication position.

    Early Majority They adopt an innovation after a varying degree of time that is significantly longer than the innovators and early adopters. Early Majority have above average social status, contact with early adopters and seldom hold positions of opinion leadership in a system.

    Late Majority They adopt an innovation after the average participant. These individuals approach an innovation with a high degree of skepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Late Majority are typically skeptical about an innovation, have below average social status, little financial liquidity, in contact with others in late majority and early majority and little opinion leadership.

    Laggards They are the last to adopt an innovation. Unlike some of the previous categories, individuals in this category show little to no opinion leadership. These individuals typically have an aversion to change-agents. Laggards typically tend to be focused on "traditions", lowest social status, lowest financial liquidity, oldest among adopters, and in contact with only family and close friends.
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    We all fall into one of five categories -

    Innovators Innovators are willing to take risks, have the highest social status, have financial liquidity, are social and have closest contact to scientific sources and interaction with other innovators. Their risk tolerance allows them to adopt technologies that may ultimately fail. Financial resources help absorb these failures.

    Early adopters These individuals have the highest degree of opinion leadership among the adopter categories. Early adopters have a higher social status, financial liquidity, advanced education and are more socially forward than late adopters. They are more discreet in adoption choices than innovators. They use judicious choice of adoption to help them maintain a central communication position.

    Early Majority They adopt an innovation after a varying degree of time that is significantly longer than the innovators and early adopters. Early Majority have above average social status, contact with early adopters and seldom hold positions of opinion leadership in a system.

    Late Majority They adopt an innovation after the average participant. These individuals approach an innovation with a high degree of skepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Late Majority are typically skeptical about an innovation, have below average social status, little financial liquidity, in contact with others in late majority and early majority and little opinion leadership.

    Laggards They are the last to adopt an innovation. Unlike some of the previous categories, individuals in this category show little to no opinion leadership. These individuals typically have an aversion to change-agents. Laggards typically tend to be focused on "traditions", lowest social status, lowest financial liquidity, oldest among adopters, and in contact with only family and close friends.
    Then there are Luddites. I meet them everyday.

  8. #8
    Retired from riding rad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    Posts
    1,064
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    We all fall into one of five categories -

    Innovators Innovators are willing to take risks, have the highest social status, have financial liquidity, are social and have closest contact to scientific sources and interaction with other innovators. Their risk tolerance allows them to adopt technologies that may ultimately fail. Financial resources help absorb these failures.

    Early adopters These individuals have the highest degree of opinion leadership among the adopter categories. Early adopters have a higher social status, financial liquidity, advanced education and are more socially forward than late adopters. They are more discreet in adoption choices than innovators. They use judicious choice of adoption to help them maintain a central communication position.

    Early Majority They adopt an innovation after a varying degree of time that is significantly longer than the innovators and early adopters. Early Majority have above average social status, contact with early adopters and seldom hold positions of opinion leadership in a system.

    Late Majority They adopt an innovation after the average participant. These individuals approach an innovation with a high degree of skepticism and after the majority of society has adopted the innovation. Late Majority are typically skeptical about an innovation, have below average social status, little financial liquidity, in contact with others in late majority and early majority and little opinion leadership.

    Laggards They are the last to adopt an innovation. Unlike some of the previous categories, individuals in this category show little to no opinion leadership. These individuals typically have an aversion to change-agents. Laggards typically tend to be focused on "traditions", lowest social status, lowest financial liquidity, oldest among adopters, and in contact with only family and close friends.



    What a load of crap.

  9. #9
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    What a load of crap.
    Agree. Psychobabble that seems somewhat self serving, shallow and aimed at developing a profile of the "insignificant other". Maybe an 'inability to delay gratification' fits in here somewhere Gotta love the Psych 101 students though. - Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  10. #10
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    5,843
    How is it that a discussion about Key Fobs turns into this!

    Can we not turn this to a positive?

    Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  11. #11
    Registered User tourunigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    How is it that a discussion about Key Fobs turns into this!

    Can we not turn this to a positive?

    Voni
    Of course you're correct. Maybe I 'fired off' a tad too quick sideways. .....back to the Fob discussion....
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

  12. #12
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    5,843
    Thank you.

    There is always the option of deleting your own post.

    I've done that myself

    Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

  13. #13
    Registered User Mark H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    178
    My sincerest apologies if my post was in any way taken as insulting or just unnecessary crap.
    Certainly not my intention and I'll watch my replies in future.
    Mark Hubble
    2015 - R1200GS Black Storm Metallic
    Sydney, AUSTRALIA

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
    My sincerest apologies if my post was in any way taken as insulting or just unnecessary crap.
    Certainly not my intention and I'll watch my replies in future.
    Not to change the subject again, but I find forum discussions often mimic conversations in real life with real people. Everyone I know meanders around the topic often branching into subjects so unrelated as to be the stuff of comedy. A discussion on key fobs could end up being about life on other planets. Anyway, I like these fobs and in fact, I have a home automation system with a proximity sensor that opens the garage door when I'm pulling up to the house and turns on the lights if it's dark out. I can make it beep if I can't find it in the house or within a few hundred feet of the house. It won't find it at long distances unless I happen to have left/lost my cell phone near the keys, but that's a pretty useless function as you can find your phone without a fob. I wonder if Martians use keys? I'll escort myself out now.

  15. #15
    rabid reader dbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    2,266
    Rudyinla, you've got my kind of thought processes.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •