• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Des Moines Beer Garden

IMHO a crappy selection of beers , when bud or bud light are your 2 best choices, at least I will save money in the beer tent.

I agree somewhat. I will be all over the stout. But I do have to admit that Bud Light and Natural light - both almost beer, or beer water - are the two leading selling beers in the US. Great Britian and Germany are laughing, but those almost beers seem to be what US beer drinkers want.

Last edited:
I say this half laughing... we're getting close to a "what brand oil thread"! But it's likely true; the typical BMW rider is NOT likely the Budweiser Beer person.

So where's the Michelobe Ultra and Coor's Light?

Guessing if it's perfect weather and/or hot enough... we'll all be happy with something that's available.

"And there's always the gate out." (Something I may have heard a beer chair state once upon a time)

"travel'n" john

Beer Selections

MAD DOG here.

OK, I'm going to wade into the "beer" swamp here, and give you a peek behind the curtain. {Love to mix metaphors}

A primary consideration is cost. I saw first hand what happened at Salt Lake, as I was working ICE. The BG died, due to a much higher price than our members were used to.

Our compromise is Bud/Bud Lite for one ticket { $1.50}, and two tickets for the craft beers. I too would like nothing better than 8 taps of super craft beers, but you will NEVER see $3.00 for 14 ounces again. The Bud subsidizes the Crafts. We have labored to keep costs down.

Also, it is a price point decision. Whether I think that the Buds are good, bad, crappy, or indifferent, be aware of this. Of the last two rallies, we have consumed 125 1/2 kegs of beer, fully SIXTY of them were split between Bud and Bud Lite. The other ~60ish were between the 4 craft beers.

Also, it's kind of funny, but when you do a per capita consumption, rally after rally shows right around 3 beers per attendee. I too drink at my tent, and at AIRHEAD CENTRAL.

BTW, I take no personal offense at the comments, and I do this because I enjoy it.

MAD DOG
2018 BMWMOA Beer Garden Chair , Des Moines , Iowa:drink

IMHO a crappy selection of beers , when bud or bud light are your 2 best choices, at least I will save money in the beer tent.

While I personally agree with you, as Mad dog said gotta go with the money. I often frequent a craft beer place with 42 craft beers on tap nothing except craft beers. Most commonly requested what do you have that is like Bud lite or what do you have that is like lite?
Most people like commercially available lite beer.
Gator

Beer

I thought about post for a long time before I hit send I knew the reason for the choices, but we found out good stuff ( $1.50 for a beer great price) I still think you should have gotten Natty lite and given us something to complain about! :drink:)

Beer

I thought about post for a long time before I hit send I knew the reason for the choices, but we found out good stuff ( $1.50 for a beer great price) I still think you should have gotten Natty lite and given us something to complain about! :drink:)

Now that was funny, as I was told in no uncertain terms to stay away from Hamm's and Natty lite!

Look me up when you show up. I wear my trademark engineer's cap. Be nice to meet you.

M.Dog:drink

Now that was funny, as I was told in no uncertain terms to stay away from Hamm's and Natty lite!

Look me up when you show up. I wear my trademark engineer's cap. Be nice to meet you.

M.Dog:drink

Weren't you wearing a Kilt at the Billings Pub Crawl?

Serving Wednesday Night

See you all there. I'll be working the BG Wednesday night for all you other volunteers.

I am really bummed that I am sitting here in Seattle with a broken ankle and cannot attend the Rally this year. I was looking forward to the pub crawl and pouring at the beer garden.
At least I had a great tour in Europe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobs isn’t Canadian. He’s a crazy Berwicker (Berwickite? Berwickian?) who lives in the USA. The Half-Moose Whiskapalians do claim him as a member in good standing, however.

I am really bummed that I am sitting here in Seattle with a broken ankle and cannot attend the Rally this year. I was looking forward to the pub crawl and pouring at the beer garden.
At least I had a great tour in Europe!

So what's the problem? You can still crawl and have a great excuse to do so! Leg in a cast shouldn't prevent you from pouring, at least until you pass out! Also ya might get some sympathy beers!

So what's the problem? You can still crawl and have a great excuse to do so! Leg in a cast shouldn't prevent you from pouring, at least until you pass out! Also ya might get some sympathy beers!

I can’t put any weight on the ankle, plus I can only get around on crutches. Tomorrow I see the Doctor to see what they want to do.

I can’t put any weight on the ankle, plus I can only get around on crutches. Tomorrow I see the Doctor to see what they want to do.

I hate it for you sir. Insult to injury not getting to attend. Two years ago I was going to attend my first rally on Hamburg, when I fell off of my helicopter, preflighting it for my students. I broke my right wrist and elbow, three weeks prior to the rally. I had to call a fellow MOA member to ride my bike back from work to home.

Luckily for me, it was a fairly clean break in both places. The casting was minimal, and Rhonda and I were able to drive our 4 wheel Bimmer to the rally; I was determined not to miss that one, as I had missed so many before. (I paid for the Johnstonville TN Rally and ERC training only to become a single dad a month before the rally.)

Take care of yourself, get healed up, hopefully we’ll see you in TN next year.

Home

Hey hey hey!

MAD DOG here!

Just got confirmation that the MOA {and mad dog] will be in control of the biergarten for the 2018 rally!

So...get your schedules out, and plan to help out at the happiest place at the rally.

I'M BACK!!! tHE BEER MUST FLOW!!!

MAD dOG:drink 2018 Beer Garden Chair

Just want all of my friends to know that I am home safely, this Friday. And thank you all so much for helping out in the beer garden.

MAD DOG
2018 Des Moines Beer Garden Chair:drink

I was in a hall with picnic tables and some nice beers. Kept looking for the "garden" and the sunshine.

Couldn't find the Beer Garden you all have described on this thread.

27 had some nice beers, sunshine, parade of bikes, lots of friendly folks.

Where was the BMWMOA beer garden?

Back