Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seahawks uniforms

...and none of the millionaire snowflakes seem to have a problem with black on black killing.

Chicago has around 600 murders so far this year...yet none of the NFL apparently has a problem with blacks killing other blacks.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    ...and none of the millionaire snowflakes seem to have a problem with black on black killing.

Chicago has around 600 murders so far this year...yet none of the NFL apparently has a problem with blacks killing other blacks.

Chris
    Bingo.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Kevin, You and I will never agree on this, but I do have to say that what I said was precisely what the originator of the protests said he was protesting. Why others joined in may vary, but that is what the kneeling is/was all about. I don't like it, but dragging veterans (I am one USAF 1966-1972 - I didn't have bone spurs) into the fray is disingenuous at best, and corruptly propagandist at worst.

Lets just agree that respect for the flag and anthem is nice, but per US law, not required. But since I am not a fan of any football tribe it means little to me.
    You're correct in the first paragraph - we don't agree.

But you're also correct in the second paragraph - we do agree that respect for the flag and anthem is "......nice, ....not required."

Respect can never be 'required' - by its very definition, it has to be earned.

My view is that the sacrifice of our military (including your 6 yr. stint (Thank You!) in the USAF {btw, my dad was a USAF Korean War veteran - Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, TX}), without whom there wouldn't even be a United States of America, has paid that debt and enshrined the respect our national symbols deserve.

Granted, they are only symbols of a greater passion. But then again, so is a certain red motorcycle parked in your driveway, is it not?!
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

We have a time honored and constitutionally guaranteed right of free speech. You also have a time honored and constitutionally guaranteed to disagree. I personally am not willing to give that up. Note that is not your right alone, it belongs to ALL of us.

Way to many instances of police planting evidence and shooting suspects that are not armed. Something needs to change and it is not happening. What do you propose they do to change things? Nothing else has worked and this may not either. But trying different things is normally a good idea.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    We have a time honored and constitutionally guaranteed right of free speech. You also have a time honored and constitutionally guaranteed to disagree....
    Yup. That's why I chose to not watch the Seahawks or any other NFL team any more.

Chris

Yup. That's why I chose to not watch the Seahawks or any other NFL team any more.

Chris
    I made that decision ten years ago. I'm glad people are catching up. By the way, paying an office manager (Commissioner) 38 million dollars - and now he wants 49.5 million dollars per year is complete insanity. Not to mention the idiotic salaries they pay players with money siphoned from working slobs, either for high priced tickets or prices paid for over-priced goods because of TV payments covered by ad costs, covered by the prices of goods and services. All so good loyal folks can celebrate with their tribe on Monday morning. Pablum for the masses.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I made that decision ten years ago. I'm glad people are catching up. By the way, paying an office manager (Commissioner) 38 million dollars - and now he wants 49.5 million dollars per year is complete insanity. Not to mention the idiotic salaries they pay players with money siphoned from working slobs, either for high priced tickets or prices paid for over-priced goods because of TV payments covered by ad costs, covered by the prices of goods and services. All so good loyal folks can celebrate with their tribe on Monday morning. Pablum for the masses.
    In my case it was the year of the baseball strike. I ended watching all professional sports, this included Nascar. Life goes on and other interests took over. I do have to admit, going to Wheatland Missouri to watch the boats race, and the antique racing at Barber vintage fest was fun, not big money though. Football is doomed in any case, for injury reasons

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    My view is that the sacrifice of our military (including your 6 yr. stint (Thank You!) in the USAF {btw, my dad was a USAF Korean War veteran - Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, TX}), without whom there wouldn't even be a United States of America, has paid that debt and enshrined the respect our national symbols deserve.
    Kevin,
    Every person that pays their taxes, treats their neighbors with respect and contributes to their community....built this country. Every darn single one of them.......not some subset. The collective whole. Some people die in battle, most live lives of quiet dignity raising families and building communities. Each and everyone is the exact same rank of American........A citizen.

If I wish, I'll salute the flag the same way Abe Lincoln did........He didn't.
    If I wish, I'll stand at attention during the national anthem the same way Teddy Roosevelt....He didn't.

I have no respect for anyone's claim to be a superior American, because of their forefathers and their children.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Got any references?

Even if they didn't stand, salute, kneel or whatever...I still reserve the right to feel offended by multi-millionaire snowflakes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Kevin,
    Every person that pays their taxes, treats their neighbors with respect and contributes to their community....built this country. Every darn single one of them.......not some subset. The collective whole. Some people die in battle, most live lives of quiet dignity raising families and building communities. Each and everyone is the exact same rank of American........A citizen.

If I wish, I'll stand at attention during the national anthem the same way Teddy Roosevelt....He didn't.

I have no respect for anyone's claim to be a superior American, because of their forefathers and their children.
    Well said.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Kevin,

While I don't agree with every nuance or historical footnote of your response, I respect your opinion.

Got any references?

Even if they didn't stand, salute, kneel or whatever...I still reserve the right to feel offended by multi-millionaire snowflakes.

Chris
    The National Anthem was adopted, by law, in 1931. Woodrow Wilson recognized it for his official functions in 1916. Prior to 1931, "Hail Columbia", "America the Beautiful" and "My Country Tis of Thee" were used at the discretion of the powers that be.

The Pledge of Allegiance was officially adopted in 1942. Francis Bellamy wrote it in 1892 to 1) support flag sales thru his employer's magazine and 2) promote general public education as a means of a unified populace. The phrase "Under God" was added in 1954.

Several multi-millionaires offend me. Few, I doubt, give a second thought to the children killing each other across our nation.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I respond to this thread with some trepidation, but here I go. I do not dispute that our nation was built by many who lived lives of hard work, respect for others and sacrifice, nor do I believe any group or class can lay claim to being a superior American or citizen. I do believe it is appropriate for our nation to recognize those who served in our armed forces and sacrificed time with their families, their health and in many cases their lives while doing so. I was fortunate to live, work and fight with some of the finest men and women in our nation during my twenty-five years in the Regular Army. I worked with three Rhodes Scholars and innumerable teenagers straight out of high school. I learned that it is impossible to predict who will exhibit extraordinary loyalty, honor, courage and selfless service by anything other than character; the sort of character that rises to the surface when one is afraid at 3 in the morning and not sure where the threat is. God help us when we run out of the sort of young men and women who are willing serve in such conditions, or when we feel it inappropriate to single them out for the recognition and respect they deserve.

As to showing respect for our national flag and anthem, I can see no relevance to how Lincoln or Roosevelt behaved. Both men behaved as the customs of their time dictated and I believe in this time they would pay the customary respect to the flag and anthem. The custom now is well established and easily understood.

The act of kneeling by the players is intended to bring attention to the injustice of police brutality towards people of color. I agree that such brutality takes place, but I do not agree that the players are doing anything to help change the problem. There is a time and place for everything and a venue that presents itself as for families is not the place. On the list of problems requiring attention in our urban minority communities police shootings and unwarranted police violence do not rise to the top of the list. Certainly inner-racial murders, illegal drugs, lack of education, lack of jobs, astronomical numbers of children born out marriage or a stable relationship, gangs and single moms raising children are all issues causing more pain and suffering and warrant more attention. There are statistics that indicate that police shootings are distributed among the races as can be predicted by who is committing the crimes. Lies, damn lies and statistics, I know, but my point is that I would be more sympathetic to the players cause if they were attacking the real issues in their communities that are killing the young.

So why are so many of us upset by what we consider the disrespect being shown by the players? As with most public issues the position of both sides gets boiled down to platitudes. One such example in this case is that the protesters are showing disrespect for veterans. The reasoning is that they are failing to show the customary respect for our national flag and anthem and by extension showing the same disrespect for the veterans who made all that the flag and anthem purport to represent possible. You may not agree with this line of reasoning, but many do, and I think it is sound. Iím a vet and on a personal level I donít give a hoot what these knuckleheads think or do. I am, however pissed by their behavior. They have dragged the people who like to watch the games with their families and children into a political maelstrom. One can deride and belittle those who like to spectate at sports, but it is viewed by many as a way to share a common experience with friends, family and especially children and to create a bond. Call it pabulum if you so desire, but I see nothing wrong with it, and the protesting players have diminished the experience. Were these same players to protest on their own time it would seem much more credible to me. My ardor for pro football faded long ago. In my case it was due to the thuggish behavior of players both on and off the field. What is worse is that the protests are doing nothing to change anything for the better. It has become a pissing contest in which no one will make a positive change, no one will win and the country will have yet another divisive issue.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thank you, Kevin.

Chris