Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Giant Equifax data breach- 143 million people could be affected

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Exclamation Giant Equifax data breach- 143 million people could be affected

Well, as if anyone needs anything else to be concerned about, one of the largest personal information data miners/credit resources has been hacked.
    From CNN-
    Equifax says a giant cybersecurity breach compromised the personal information of as many as 143 million Americans almost half the country.
    Cyber criminals have accessed sensitive information -- including names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and the numbers of some driver's licenses.
    Additionally, Equifax said that credit card numbers for about 209,000 U.S. customers were exposed, as was "personal identifying information" on roughly 182,000 U.S. customers involved in credit report disputes. Residents in the U.K. and Canada were also impacted.
    The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said. The company said it discovered the hack on July 29.
    The data breach is one of the worst ever, by its reach and by the kind of information exposed to the public.

The article is here- http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/07/tech...ach/index.html

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Time it took to inform the public: 40 days
    Time it took for executives to sell $1.8 million in stock: 3 days
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Fortes fortuna iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Time it took to inform the public: 40 days
    Time it took for executives to sell $1.8 million in stock: 3 days

Three Equifax executives insulated themselves from that downturn by selling shares worth a combined $1.8 million just a few days after the company discovered it had been hacked, according to documents filed with securities regulators.
    The sales, executed on August 1 and August 2, were made by: John Gamble, Equifax's chief financial officer; Rodolfo Ploder, Equifax's president of workforce solutions; and Joseph Loughran, Equifax's president of U.S. information solutions. Bloomberg News first reported the divestitures.

Glad that corporate integrity remains at the forefront.

I'm sure it was just a coincidence...
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289

Quote Originally Posted by 129654 View Post
    Three Equifax executives insulated themselves from that downturn by selling shares worth a combined $1.8 million just a few days after the company discovered it had been hacked, according to documents filed with securities regulators.
    The sales, executed on August 1 and August 2, were made by: John Gamble, Equifax's chief financial officer; Rodolfo Ploder, Equifax's president of workforce solutions; and Joseph Loughran, Equifax's president of U.S. information solutions. Bloomberg News first reported the divestitures.

Glad that corporate integrity remains at the forefront.
    Don't worry, it's only your retirement portfolio that's dependent on the actions of Wall Street.........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

As I watch this unfold, it seems that there is the offer of a "free" year of credit watch offered by Equifax. It seems that by signing up for this you exempt yourself from inclusion in a/the class action suit........not that I'm a big fan of a CALS. This does seem to suggest that the announcement delay has a bit of "ducks in a row" stink to it

Anybody ever try a credit monitoring program?
    Does it work?
    Are you happy with it?
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

My local news provided a website that you can use to check if you're vulnerable. It's an https secure site and you have to enter the last 6 of your SSN.

https://equifaxsecurity2017.com

Click on the potential impact link.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    My local news provided a website that you can use to check if you're vulnerable. It's an https secure site and you have to enter the last 6 of your SSN.

https://equifaxsecurity2017.com

Click on the potential impact link.
    Saw that.....I'm usually reluctant to feed the dog that (may have) bit me. Seems like the info has been released and trust has been diminished.
    Sorta like the Gillette Razor ad I just saw on how they were putting money back in the pockets of Americans by reducing prices.......Read- Damn internet and Harry's, The Dollar Shave Club and the like.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yeah, I didn't think I had done business with them and I suppose I could wait until/if I get a letter in the mail. But I don't think there's much harm...knock wood!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think I had done business with them and I suppose I could wait until/if I get a letter in the mail. But I don't think there's much harm...knock wood!
    I don't think many have done business with them- on a direct basis Kurt. They are a financial data mining service that collects financial records through information collected via "what we do with your information" fine print stuffers from your credit card/bank/DMV and related sources. This information then becomes the (one of) sources used by a financial institution when applying for credit. The FI pays a fee to a company such as this to access the "centralized" records mined from your credit history. Even the insurance companies use this information in determining a persons "insurability" and the cost of premiums charged.
    I've mentioned before, George Orwell was an optimist
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post

Anybody ever try a credit monitoring program?
    Does it work?
    Are you happy with it?
    OM
    Gary, et al - As part of the vast Federal workforce my information including SSAN, DOB, etc. was released by a data breach at the US Office of Personnel Management. I think this happened about three years ago. The USOPM contracted with "MyIDCare" to keep an eye on credit information for the 22,000,000 victims of this data breach. I signed up for the free service, but took no other action.

Fast-forward three years, and my wake-up call came not from the credit-monitoring program, but from the arrival of a brand-new Verizon Apple iPhone 7 (I did not order) which was slyly sent not to my home address, but to a FedEx Office location. 24 hours later the credit monitoring program sent me an email telling me that Verizon had made a credit inquiry, and that I had a new account there. My attempts to speak with a person at "MyIDCare" resulted in advice that wait-time to speak to an "agent" was an hour and forty-five minutes. I left a message and received a VM two days later. Nice, eh?

I took action immediately after the Verizon inquiry. I froze my accounts at all three credit bureaus which cost me a total of $15. This keeps anyone from opening an account using my ID information, as I understand it.

I was able to independently contact Verizon's Fraud operation, and they were very helpful. I hope the person who caused this problem for me will be caught, but I'm not optimistic due to the plethora of cases. That said, one of my former colleagues is head of Verizon's operation so maybe it will happen.

Enough out of me...
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Gary, et al - As part of the vast Federal workforce my information including SSAN, DOB, etc. was released by a data breach at the US Office of Personnel Management. I think this happened about three years ago. The USOPM contracted with "MyIDCare" to keep an eye on credit information for the 22,000,000 victims of this data breach. I signed up for the free service, but took no other action.

Fast-forward three years, and my wake-up call came not from the credit-monitoring program, but from the arrival of a brand-new Verizon Apple iPhone 7 (I did not order) which was slyly sent not to my home address, but to a FedEx Office location. 24 hours later the credit monitoring program sent me an email telling me that Verizon had made a credit inquiry, and that I had a new account there. My attempts to speak with a person at "MyIDCare" resulted in advice that wait-time to speak to an "agent" was an hour and forty-five minutes. I left a message and received a VM two days later. Nice, eh?

I took action immediately after the Verizon inquiry. I froze my accounts at all three credit bureaus which cost me a total of $15. This keeps anyone from opening an account using my ID information, as I understand it.

I was able to independently contact Verizon's Fraud operation, and they were very helpful. I hope the person who caused this problem for me will be caught, but I'm not optimistic due to the plethora of cases. That said, one of my former colleagues is head of Verizon's operation so maybe it will happen.

Enough out of me...
    Thanks John, good stuff
    A hint of what works and what may not work.....personal experiences are always helpful.
    It's also good for the Members to realize that it's the algorithm that detects the fraud and hopefully gets a committed employee to notice and start the protection/inquiry.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

FWIW, in reading about this on some of the financial websites it is looking like the safest bet is to NOT take the free monitoring offered through Equifax, but to sign up with a paid credit monitoring service. Following that, one should freeze their credit on all three of the major credit reporting services.

What a fine mess... and there is no excuse for this. Secure and isolated systems can be built, but businesses are reluctant to foot the bill for appropriate security constructs and methodologies. Equifax deserves every lawsuit that is filed against them over this.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post

Enough out of me...
    Wells Fargo created that account for you.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Saw that.....I'm usually reluctant to feed the dog that (may have) bit me. Seems like the info has been released and trust has been diminished.
    Sorta like the Gillette Razor ad I just saw on how they were putting money back in the pockets of Americans by reducing prices.......Read- Damn internet and Harry's, The Dollar Shave Club and the like.
    OM

"Saw that.....I'm usually reluctant to feed the dog that (may have) bit me. Seems like the info has been released and trust has been diminished."

That's my thought as well. Why put out anymore information?....well too them anyway.

I talked to my bank & credit card company. They said that they are aware , and basically no need to worry . The C/C company added an additional security code while we spoke.

I'll call investments tomorrow......Not much else we can do?...
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster