• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Repair and Air Pump

Welcome to the forum!
I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
https://bestrestproducts.com
Have a look at their site for your self.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
The SAE connector that you might use for a battery tender works great.

Last edited:
The best one is from-
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
Another vote for the Best Rest Cycle Pump. It (and a plug) saved my bacon when I punctured a tire in a dry creek bed in a very rural area. Great service from them too. I shipped my pressure gauge to them because it was reading ~3 psi high. For $10 (including return shipping) he ended replaced the guts because of a bit of corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I did very well for a couple of decades with a patch kit and the OEM pump under the seat of my /5.

This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.18.54 PM.jpg

Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.

I just returned from a 4000 km trip. I had a tire with a slow leak and used a Slime pump several times. Once when it lost pressure after sitting for 5 days, a second time when I drained the air while trying to add air in a gas station with a defective air hose. The compressor was not running and I mistook the sound of air leaking out for the hose putting in air. I had to use the pump to get enough air to get to another station.

The pump model I have seems to top out at about 2.5 bars (36 psi). It won't go up to the pressures I wanted, 2.9 bars or 42 psi or even more when adding air to a hot tire. But it puts enough air in to get to some place with more pressure.

I had a Slime pump that would produce only 30 psi when new and no pressure a year or so later. I replaced it with a Harbor freight one with good results(so far).

Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.

Walmart sticky strings (plugs) and a Best Rest Pump. :thumb

I would stay away from the Stop&Go mushroom type plugs. I had a bad experience with them this summer on a long trip. First of all the hole that's needed for the plug is bigger than a regular rope style plug. Secondly, the plug disintegrated and started leaking after about 100 miles. I was able to very easily push the plug into the tire. I then plugged with a rope and it held fine until I could get to a dealer to replace the tire. Oh, by the way, the pump that came with the kit crapped out after 2 uses.

This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

View attachment 64955

Ditto, although I have the Moto Pumps version. Both are identical. It was designed by a member of ADVRider, but he partnered with another company to have it produced (that company sells it as DynaPlug). I had-- and still have -- a Best Rest Cycle Pump, but I like the Moto Pumps inflator better, mainly because of the built-in tire pressure gauge, and the screw-on connection. I use a T-handle, and sticky ropes that I bought from an auto parts store. I also had a Stop 'n Go kit with mushroom plugs, and tried to fix a puncture a few months ago. They did not work, and a buddy fixed it with his rope plugs. I now carry those on the bike.

Welcome to the forum!
I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

++1 on this, pump has been used many times, thankfully never had to use repair kit

What ever pump you decide to carry check it once in awhile to make sure it functions. My Best Rest switch failed somewhere
alone the way and only by chance did I find this out. I bypassed switch and have never have needed the pump since.
Tyre repair kits are like fire extinguishers, you may never use it but if the need arises you certainly want it to work.
Nealy says their ropes are good for 10 years... how old are yours???

What ever pump you decide to carry check it once in awhile to make sure it functions. My Best Rest switch failed somewhere
alone the way and only by chance did I find this out. I bypassed switch and have never have needed the pump since.
Tyre repair kits are like fire extinguishers, you may never use it but if the need arises you certainly want it to work.
Nealy says their ropes are good for 10 years... how old are yours???

Call them, they will repair or replace, great customer service

In the specifics of tire plugging, I have the regular and truck size kit from Safety Seal-

SSKAP1-291x300.jpg

https://nslsales.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2

Many regular repairs including "you can't patch that hole" repairs :deal

OM

Two things come to mind with this thread
My buddy picked up his new RT last year, riding home less than 10 miles from dealer on new bike picked up a piece of rebar in rear tire, dash warning went from yellow to red in 30 seconds, scratch one new PR4
Other is platinum membership with MOA, extended towing and free tire replacement

Howdy,
Aerostich compact pump and Dyna Plugs. The thing I like about the Dyna Plugs is there's no concern about them drying out or getting funky as the adhesive ages. Yes, I'm lazy and could check and replace the adhesive style as needed but I'm old.
Later,
Norm

Dynaplug new Micro Pro Model - Recommended

Recently purchased and highly recommend Dynaplug's new Micro Pro model. I replaced a BestRest inflator that I used for several years, and still works (and is excellent also - just larger). The advantage of the Micro Pro is that it is tiny, and comes in a small zippered case with enough add'l room to store a tubeless tire repair kit (I also carry the Dynaplug version) and a small set of pliers (recommend KNIPEX 87 01 125 Cobra pliers though they are expensive) and a pencil-type gauge, and multi-tool. Net is, this entire kit fits in my riding coat pocket. This is useful if you are riding a bike without panniers / storage.

The BestRest inflator is faster at inflating, from my experience (actually compared them in the garage filling tires from 20 -> 42 lbs) than the Dynaplug Micro Pro, but not much (took an add'l minute or so).

$59 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ult...pID=41Vm-QCIKhL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Also worth noting the BMW MOA membership tire insurance program, which I have also used and recommend.

Back