Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: Tire Repair and Air Pump

  1. #1

    Tire Repair and Air Pump

    Any recommendations ?

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,891
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
    https://bestrestproducts.com
    Have a look at their site for your self.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary



    Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
    The SAE connector that you might use for a battery tender works great.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 11-10-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add info
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Registered User gsinnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    302
    Have had great luck with Nealy Repair kits. The guys on the BMWST site turned me on to the Nealy kits. That is ALL they make!!

    http://www.tirerepairkit.com/FAQ.htm

    I carry a Slime inflator. Probably not the fastest or best but they are cheap and will only use in an emergency.


    http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...rue#Post975679
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

  4. #4
    Fastman Fastman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The best one is from-
    https://bestrestproducts.com
    Have a look at their site for your self.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary



    Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
    The SAE connector that you might use for a battery tender works great.
    Another vote for the Best Rest Cycle Pump. It (and a plug) saved my bacon when I punctured a tire in a dry creek bed in a very rural area. Great service from them too. I shipped my pressure gauge to them because it was reading ~3 psi high. For $10 (including return shipping) he ended replaced the guts because of a bit of corrosion.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

  5. #5
    BMW Motorcycle Owners rdalland's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    of America
    Posts
    1,291
    I did very well for a couple of decades with a patch kit and the OEM pump under the seat of my /5.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

    Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - BMWMOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

  6. #6
    This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

    Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.18.54 PM.jpg

  7. #7
    FUKENGRUVEN SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    THE BIG SKY
    Posts
    6,391
    Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Guadalajara, México
    Posts
    103
    I just returned from a 4000 km trip. I had a tire with a slow leak and used a Slime pump several times. Once when it lost pressure after sitting for 5 days, a second time when I drained the air while trying to add air in a gas station with a defective air hose. The compressor was not running and I mistook the sound of air leaking out for the hose putting in air. I had to use the pump to get enough air to get to another station.

    The pump model I have seems to top out at about 2.5 bars (36 psi). It won't go up to the pressures I wanted, 2.9 bars or 42 psi or even more when adding air to a hot tire. But it puts enough air in to get to some place with more pressure.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

  9. #9
    Registered User LFarling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    197
    Best Rest pump for at least 10 years now. It has saved me and others a few times. I also use their plug kit with the mushrooms. I ran a plugged tire for 7000 miles with no issues using that kit. Only thing is you need to add a pair of plyers to the kit to pull and seat the mushroom all the way.

    Not cheap but I use those 2 things and Patricia and I each have one of their tire gauge also.

    I had a issue with one it was not reading correctly and they replaced it no issue, with no hassles.

    You get what you pay for on these mini pumps and I get 42 PSI on my rear tire with it no issues.

    I do use my Optimate battery charger connection off the battery as mentioned above.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Belton Tx
    Posts
    676
    I had a Slime pump that would produce only 30 psi when new and no pressure a year or so later. I replaced it with a Harbor freight one with good results(so far).
    Ron

    91 K75RT ABS

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305
    I have and like http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html if you want to do the cheap but they work just fine pick up the $15 one and take it out of the plastic (watch out for fan and it does get hot).

    Jay

  12. #12
    Registered User greenwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    4,944

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.
    Walmart sticky strings (plugs) and a Best Rest Pump.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

  13. #13
    Registered User littlebriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Harbor Beach, Michigan
    Posts
    36
    I would stay away from the Stop&Go mushroom type plugs. I had a bad experience with them this summer on a long trip. First of all the hole that's needed for the plug is bigger than a regular rope style plug. Secondly, the plug disintegrated and started leaking after about 100 miles. I was able to very easily push the plug into the tire. I then plugged with a rope and it held fine until I could get to a dealer to replace the tire. Oh, by the way, the pump that came with the kit crapped out after 2 uses.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

  14. #14
    Registered User marcopolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alexandria Virginia/Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

    Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.18.54 PM.jpg
    Ditto, although I have the Moto Pumps version. Both are identical. It was designed by a member of ADVRider, but he partnered with another company to have it produced (that company sells it as DynaPlug). I had-- and still have -- a Best Rest Cycle Pump, but I like the Moto Pumps inflator better, mainly because of the built-in tire pressure gauge, and the screw-on connection. I use a T-handle, and sticky ropes that I bought from an auto parts store. I also had a Stop 'n Go kit with mushroom plugs, and tried to fix a puncture a few months ago. They did not work, and a buddy fixed it with his rope plugs. I now carry those on the bike.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
    https://bestrestproducts.com
    Have a look at their site for your self.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary



    Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
    The SAE connector that you might use for a battery tender works great.
    ++1 on this, pump has been used many times, thankfully never had to use repair kit

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Pump
    By bluehole in forum Airheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
  2. Fuel Pump Body Repair or Replacement.
    By kayseventyfive in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2008, 10:48 PM
  3. Tire Pump
    By apopj in forum Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM
  4. tire pump
    By crazydrummerdude in forum Airheads
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 04:57 PM
  5. BMW tire pump
    By donkey doctor in forum Gear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •