Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire Repair and Air Pump

Tire Repair and Air Pump

Any recommendations ?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
    https://bestrestproducts.com
    Have a look at their site for your self.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary

Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
    The SAE connector that you might use for a battery tender works great.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 11-10-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add info
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Have had great luck with Nealy Repair kits. The guys on the BMWST site turned me on to the Nealy kits. That is ALL they make!!

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/FAQ.htm

I carry a Slime inflator. Probably not the fastest or best but they are cheap and will only use in an emergency.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...rue#Post975679
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2012 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The best one is from-
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary

Edit- if you get a tire inflator, do yourself a favor and connect it or make provisions to connect it directly to the battery.
    Another vote for the Best Rest Cycle Pump. It (and a plug) saved my bacon when I punctured a tire in a dry creek bed in a very rural area. Great service from them too. I shipped my pressure gauge to them because it was reading ~3 psi high. For $10 (including return shipping) he ended replaced the guts because of a bit of corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

I did very well for a couple of decades with a patch kit and the OEM pump under the seat of my /5.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - BMWMOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.18.54 PM.jpg

Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I just returned from a 4000 km trip. I had a tire with a slow leak and used a Slime pump several times. Once when it lost pressure after sitting for 5 days, a second time when I drained the air while trying to add air in a gas station with a defective air hose. The compressor was not running and I mistook the sound of air leaking out for the hose putting in air. I had to use the pump to get enough air to get to another station.

The pump model I have seems to top out at about 2.5 bars (36 psi). It won't go up to the pressures I wanted, 2.9 bars or 42 psi or even more when adding air to a hot tire. But it puts enough air in to get to some place with more pressure.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Best Rest pump for at least 10 years now. It has saved me and others a few times. I also use their plug kit with the mushrooms. I ran a plugged tire for 7000 miles with no issues using that kit. Only thing is you need to add a pair of plyers to the kit to pull and seat the mushroom all the way.

Not cheap but I use those 2 things and Patricia and I each have one of their tire gauge also.

I had a issue with one it was not reading correctly and they replaced it no issue, with no hassles.

You get what you pay for on these mini pumps and I get 42 PSI on my rear tire with it no issues.

I do use my Optimate battery charger connection off the battery as mentioned above.
    2015 R 1200 RT LC
    San Marino Blue
    Dark Side 205/50/ZR17

I had a Slime pump that would produce only 30 psi when new and no pressure a year or so later. I replaced it with a Harbor freight one with good results(so far).
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

I have and like http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ompressor.html if you want to do the cheap but they work just fine pick up the $15 one and take it out of the plastic (watch out for fan and it does get hot).

Jay

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Walmart sticky plugs and a Best Rest pump. I replace the plugs every other year. Cheap and works well. These plugs are very adaptable for tire damage ranging from a nail in the tread to a slash in the sidewall requiring seven plugs. A Slime Pump would probably do just fine for emergency use only. There is no need to spend much for this stuff.
    Walmart sticky strings (plugs) and a Best Rest Pump.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

I would stay away from the Stop&Go mushroom type plugs. I had a bad experience with them this summer on a long trip. First of all the hole that's needed for the plug is bigger than a regular rope style plug. Secondly, the plug disintegrated and started leaking after about 100 miles. I was able to very easily push the plug into the tire. I then plugged with a rope and it held fine until I could get to a dealer to replace the tire. Oh, by the way, the pump that came with the kit crapped out after 2 uses.
    Steve
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    This is a great kit and I've used it twice in the past 2y for roadside repairs. The pump is excellent and has a decent pressure gauge built in, but best of all it's a screw-on connection to your valve stem which I really like. I do recommend picking up the handle option for a few more $$ as it can take a little force to push the rubber snakes in or ream out a hole with some repairs. The pump only needs a 5 or 6 amp power source so any accessory socket will work fine with it. Everything you need will fit in the included case. I think you will need the adaptor from SAE to go into your power socket.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 8.18.54 PM.jpg
    Ditto, although I have the Moto Pumps version. Both are identical. It was designed by a member of ADVRider, but he partnered with another company to have it produced (that company sells it as DynaPlug). I had-- and still have -- a Best Rest Cycle Pump, but I like the Moto Pumps inflator better, mainly because of the built-in tire pressure gauge, and the screw-on connection. I use a T-handle, and sticky ropes that I bought from an auto parts store. I also had a Stop 'n Go kit with mushroom plugs, and tried to fix a puncture a few months ago. They did not work, and a buddy fixed it with his rope plugs. I now carry those on the bike.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    I have a few different ones- kits and pumps. The Slime ones are on the low end and can be picked up most anywhere. The best one is from-
    Enjoy the forum.
    Gary

++1 on this, pump has been used many times, thankfully never had to use repair kit