• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My DIY Throttle Body Sync

bullfighter

It's always fun to be a MacGyver, so I thought I would share pics of my latest project: a home-made manometer for DIY balancing of throttle bodies.

Baby's running MUCH smoother now, especially in the 3-4,000 rpm range! :bliss

Attachments

• mano1.jpg
    mano1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 515
  • mano2.jpg
    mano2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 501
Nice :thumb
We used to use a similar contraption on the 4 cyl Hondas back in the day.
OM

Ot

This is off topic but nice R. I have an 04 just like it. Not many out there with that color combination.

Sync Thing

It's always fun to be a MacGyver, so I thought I would share pics of my latest project: a home-made manometer for DIY balancing of throttle bodies.

Baby's running MUCH smoother now, especially in the 3-4,000 rpm range! :bliss

Be carful if you use mineral oil in that they may think it's a medical device and hit you with the medical device tax!

I used one of these for years on my airhead but it way too sensitive/jumpy for the oilhead so had to buy a real one one.

Okay bullfighter, how about a materials list?

Cannot make out what the clips holding the tube next to the yard stick are in the picture or what the anti-kink radius piece is at the bottom.

And what was the liquid? ATF?

Need to run down to the hardware store now it looks like.

Many Thanks

GD

I used one of these for years on my airhead but it way too sensitive/jumpy for the oilhead so had to buy a real one one.

I used one for years on my R1100RSL, as a final fine-tune after getting a rough balance with mercury stix. Since you are working one side against the other, all differences are magnified by 2 so yes, it can seem jumpy or sensitive. That can be fixed by adding a small restrictor in each line, like a fitting with a smaller hole.

Best,
DG

Okay bullfighter, how about a materials list?

Cannot make out what the clips holding the tube next to the yard stick are in the picture or what the anti-kink radius piece is at the bottom.

And what was the liquid? ATF?

Need to run down to the hardware store now it looks like.

Many Thanks

GD
I don't recall the diameter of the tubing, but I bought 15 feet of it at the local DIY Center (used to be "Do-It Center"). I looked at a few YouTube videos for inspiration, they said to make sure the length of the tubing is equal on both sides from the radius out.
The clips are leftover cable clips I had for running cable up a wall.
For the anti-kink at the bottom, I used a plastic cap from a jar of vitamins (super high-tech, I know!)
And yes, the liquid is ATF (which is vegetable-based oil, so not subject to medical equipment tax, LOL!)
And to top it off, I screwed a couple of eyelets into the top of the 2x4 to hold the tubes when not in use.

20171113_174714.jpg20171113_174729.jpg20171113_174756.jpg

I don't recall the diameter of the tubing, but I bought 15 feet of it at the local DIY Center (used to be "Do-It Center"). I looked at a few YouTube videos for inspiration, they said to make sure the length of the tubing is equal on both sides from the radius out.
The clips are leftover cable clips I had for running cable up a wall.
For the anti-kink at the bottom, I used a plastic cap from a jar of vitamins (super high-tech, I know!)
And yes, the liquid is ATF (which is vegetable-based oil, so not subject to medical equipment tax, LOL!)
And to top it off, I screwed a couple of eyelets into the top of the 2x4 to hold the tubes when not in use.

Perfect. The close up picture was what I needed. Thanks.

The tubing is all I need to pick up. Have everything else already.

I will be fashioning one very soon.

GD

My Version

I thought I'd post my version of this instrument.
Can easily checked to see if the gauges 'match' ( accuracy not important if they concur with each other. ), doesn't use any liquid, can be damped easily enough and is robust, although its a bit more work to build.

Also one has to source econo gauges out of 80's Ford Falcons..... Not too much of an ask in Australia( see them on Ebay a bit ), but maybe harder in other parts.
I think VB/ VC Commodores use something similar.

The valves are the 'needle' type so they can be throttled.
Steve
Carb Balancer (1).jpg

Carb Balancer (3).jpg

Can easily checked to see if the gauges 'match' ( accuracy not important if they concur with each other. ), doesn't use any liquid, can be damped easily enough and is robust, although its a bit more work to build.

Also one has to source econo gauges out of 80's Ford Falcons..... Not too much of an ask in Australia( see them on Ebay a bit ), but maybe harder in other parts.

Steve

View attachment 65128

Are you a plumber by any chance? That's a lot of fittings ya got there! :brow

Steve
View attachment 65129

View attachment 65128

...you could also add "takes up a LOT less space in the garage" :whistle.

VERY nicely done! :thumb

Late '60s Plymouth Barracudas had something similar.

Back