Thread: '15 RT battery replacement

'15 RT battery replacement

I'm a bit frustrated, as I'm attempting to replace the OEM battery on my RT, and the battery mounting plate won't come loose.
    Usually I can find a YouTube video on anything imaginable, but I'm having no luck with this one. My battery isn't dead yet, but the starter is definitely running slower.
    If anyone has actually performed this feat of strength and dexterity, please share the secret moves. I'm about to make a club ride (Southern California BMW Riders Club) from SoCal to Pinnacles National Park for a few days of camping, with my wife riding pillion, and a cold weather battery failure would not impress her.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 165937 View Post
    I'm a bit frustrated, as I'm attempting to replace the OEM battery on my RT, and the battery mounting plate won't come loose.
    Usually I can find a YouTube video on anything imaginable, but I'm having no luck with this one. My battery isn't dead yet, but the starter is definitely running slower.
    If anyone has actually performed this feat of strength and dexterity, please share the secret moves. I'm about to make a club ride (Southern California BMW Riders Club) from SoCal to Pinnacles National Park for a few days of camping, with my wife riding pillion, and a cold weather battery failure would not impress her.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    I'd take it to the dealer the battery has a 2 year warranty, hope you are still in that period.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by 165937 View Post
    Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    What is a "battery mounting plate"?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    I'd take it to the dealer the battery has a 2 year warranty, hope you are still in that period.

Jay
    No, bought it in April of '15.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    What is a "battery mounting plate"?
    Battery Removal.pdf

Well, I got the battery clip off and installed the new battery, thanks to a FaceTime consult with Chris Roady, who owns the same bike. It turns out that there is an undocumented pin in the bottom of the retention plate that needs to be released.
    Last edited by 165937; 11-10-2017 at 04:59 AM.