• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

09 K1300 GT safety switch

It is true no one said it does not exist.

The post above regarding a non existent tip over sensor made me doubt the techs at the dealer. No one knows everything and I get that. I had to find multiple sources to come to my conclusion. The techs know I was doubting them at the dealer but they stayed professional to their credit. I will make sure they find out I learnt they were correct.

In my situation the oil was coming out rapidly. I can still follow my trail of oil out of the dealer's parking lot. The service manager says he will never forget because he sees the evidence everyday.

The bike absolutely did stop running immediately after the first red light illuminated in the dash. Maybe it was before zero pressure.

The person I talked with yesterday had no stake in the situation and I trust his knowledge of these bikes.I should have called him earlier but I was not using his shop. It is too far.

Always learning....maybe somebody wants to test it!!! Haha

Last edited:
You can probably simulate loss of pressure by unplugging the oil pressure switch and shorting it (if two wire) or grounding it (if one wire). I'm not expecting one of these in my shop any time soon, but I can try to remember to check next time one comes in.

You can probably simulate loss of pressure by unplugging the oil pressure switch and shorting it (if two wire) or grounding it (if one wire). I'm not expecting one of these in my shop any time soon, but I can try to remember to check next time one comes in.

I had thought about doing that on my K13GT next time it was on the lift, but was concerned about damaging the switch or computer. Sounds like that would not be a concern...but I have a couple other bikes to clear off the lift first.

Best,
DG

That may work unless it also needs to sense low quantity to protect against a false cutoff. I obviously had both. But I have no idea.
Going to CA tomorrow for the Rawhyde Next Step class. Have a great weekend!

I don't know whether there is a switch personally but this isn't something that we should need to guess about.

Back