• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

System Case Latch Repair

wkuwiz

Greetings.
I have an '01 R1100RT with a broken mounting latch. The latch is the fragile cast iron bit that goes o the inside of the case and keeps it held on to the bike. Bike fell over in garage and it broke.

Question: Can the part be repaired? I have searched the forum but can't find a similar thread. Will JB Led hold up for what I need? Please provide links, etc. I'd like to get this fixed before I sell the bike.
CW

The fix is to replace the multifunction box. It's in the fiche. It comes with the rivets you need to install it, but you need to move your lock cylinder over (which isn't hard as long as you have the key).

Good idea.

The fix is to replace the multifunction box. It's in the fiche. It comes with the rivets you need to install it, but you need to move your lock cylinder over (which isn't hard as long as you have the key).

Anton - Thx. Yes, I looked up the part in the fiche. IT's the full handle as a set. Problem is that it's going to be around $235. But i'll at least have it fixed and I can key it. Sometimes the best solution isn't the cheapest.

Looks like a lot of info in the similar threads section at the bottom of the page.
OM

... Problem is that it's going to be around $235.

Wow, they keep going up. Wasn't that long ago that they were around $125.

It is usually the latch tongue that breaks. Doug Raymond had one CNC machined many years ago. It might be time for someone to re-investigate that kind of a solution.

Check out the IBMWR, Adv riders flea market and eBay
You can salvage one out of a case in poor condition, they usually go for $100 to $150 sometimes less.

Remove the rivets and thread the holes 10-32unf in the MFB
Mount with 10-32 x 1/2" SS screws. You can seal with silicone RTV or #10 x 1/16" nylon washer.
(saves the high cost of the rivet kit)

Fixed lots that way.

Attachments

• IMGP3608.jpg
    IMGP3608.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 136
Wow, they keep going up. Wasn't that long ago that they were around $125.

It is usually the latch tongue that breaks. Doug Raymond had one CNC machined many years ago. It might be time for someone to re-investigate that kind of a solution.

Anton, you bring back memories.
Yes, I machined 2 "Latch Pawl" pieces on a Hurco CNC machine back in 2002, to repair my R1150RT system case.
This is the lower hook on the bag latch mechanism, that often breaks when the bike falls hard on the case.
It was a labor of love to draw it then machine it from aircraft-grade 7075 aluminum solid stock.
The photo shows the broken part (black), a trial piece I machined from plexiglas, and the preliminary drawing I made of the part.
It was also a challenge to tear apart the bag latch mechanism to install my new part, but it was a perfect fit and is still in service.
I have a more accurate drawing from which I did the CNC profile. But it would take a big effort to formalize it for use. I don't think it would be a solution for others.

Attachments

• DSCF0517.jpg
    DSCF0517.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 95
Love the hand drafting! Fond memories of a bygone trade!
I worked closely with the drafting department in my earlier days.
They would change my chicken scratches to art.
Then came CAD.

Forgot to mention, the broken part can be welded.
I have had success with having them repaired by a qualified aluminum welder.

Forgot to mention, the broken part can be welded.
I have had success with having them repaired by a qualified aluminum welder.

My first attempt was to have a pretty good welder try to weld the broken latch. It just made a mess, a very weak joint, broke in my fingers, and was way out of alignment. He declared it's made of "pot metal", a cheap alloy nothing like pure aluminum. The actual part requires some pretty tight tolerances, and would need some precise jigs to hold the pieces. You must have a great welding guy. i don't know much about welding.

Back