Thread: Service question for those more knowledgeable than me

Service question for those more knowledgeable than me

I recently purchased a used 2004 1150RT with 53xxx.
    I do not have any service records.
    Iím having my dealer of choice pick it up for the following

Install:
    Motolightís and battery tender cables

Replace:
    Brake and clutch line with stainless
    Stick coils
    Rubber fuel pick up line inside tank

Should I have the valves checked and throttle bodies synced while they have it?
    It runs good but thinking since they are doing the rest.......

Is there anything else I am missing?

Thanks for your input

If that were at my shop, I'd suspect that the 48k inspection (major) wasn't done as a cost savings in anticipation of selling, so I would check the date on the alternator belt and fuel filter to see if they are appropriately dated. If they are dated more than a few years ago, I'd do everything that there is to do... fluids, valves, belt, filters, TB synch and maybe clean, depending on the appearance of the clutch fluid I might replace or at least clean out the slave cylinder. Pull up the fork dust seals to look for rust on the fork seals. Remove any crappy stainless steel fasteners that have been added in the past (if you still can). Remove the radio and speakers if you don't plan to use them.

This is almost entirely about the past maintenance, and if you have no records then there is some detective work that an experienced mechanic can do.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Also replace the plastic fuel line connectors on the fuel tank. I had one of these and the guy I sold it to just had to replace them 03 RT with 53k. Garage smelled like fuel.
    Current : '76 R90/6, '11 R12GSA, '15 RTW, '16 S1R.
    Gone: '07 K1200GT, '03 R1150RT, '85 K100RT.

Yeah, it's probably best to have these things done so you have a good "baseline" for maintenance to give you a little peace of mind. Off the top of my head, I believe these were the service intervals for the bike (I had an 04 1150RS):

- Valves, Throttle Bodies and Engine Oil: every 6,000 miles
    - Final Drive Fluid and Transmission Fluid: every 12,000 miles
    - Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Air Filter and Alternator Belt: every 24,000 miles

Your dealer will have the service schedule, and if you still have the booklets that came with the bike, they should have that info as well. I'm sure I'm missing a few of these basic items though. You might also consider having them check the date on the battery as well.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Yeah, it's probably best to have these things done so you have a good "baseline" for maintenance to give you a little peace of mind. Off the top of my head, I believe these were the service intervals for the bike (I had an 04 1150RS):

- Valves, Throttle Bodies and Engine Oil: every 6,000 miles
    - Final Drive Fluid and Transmission Fluid: every 12,000 miles
    - Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Air Filter and Alternator Belt: every 24,000 miles

Your dealer will have the service schedule, and if you still have the booklets that came with the bike, they should have that info as well. I'm sure I'm missing a few of these basic items though. You might also consider having them check the date on the battery as well.
    Yup. The dealer will be able to access any service work done by any US dealer using the VIN number. If there were any recalls they will also know if they were done or not. I don't recall any for the 1150 but there may be some. Whenever I get anything new to me with a motor in it I just go through everything for peace of mind and a known documented by me starting point.

All the work you are describing can be done by you by the way. If not, find the nearest BMW club to you, attend a meeting and see if they plan any tech days. I find maintaining your new to you bike and installing your own farkles etc is a great way to get to know your machine. BMW riders just love to help others get their machines in order (especially airheads!).
    Just go to a rally, take your seat off and pull out a tool. Any tool. An instant gathering will occur in a few moments.... and you'll find more help than you thought possible!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Yup. The dealer will be able to access any service work done by any US dealer using the VIN number.
    That's a myth. There is recall, campaign and warranty repair information available, but not a central record of maintenance and routine repairs.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    That's a myth. There is recall, campaign and warranty repair information available, but not a central record of maintenance and routine repairs.
    I bought a '00 1100RT some years ago now from Craigslist in Raliegh NC, flew out there and rode it home Nov 01 so I headed south right away. When I got to CA I stopped in to see the folks at Ozzie's and they ran the VIN for me. Recall info and warranty service were all there including service done while the bike lived in CA with the PO. Not everything, but I did get some good info so maybe it's worth a try. ?

I agree though that the PO maintenance records are the best source for all the other stuff. And yeah, I got none of that but with only 9K on the bike I was not that concerned.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I want to thank you all for your input.
    Iím also going to have the ABS module bled as well as everything mentioned above.
    Itís worth a little extra money to have it done right and some piece of mind.
    I know having the work done does not stop failure of a part at least I will have a baseline moving forward.
    Again, thanks
    2017 RnineT
    2004 1150RT

You might consider removing the starter and looking at the clutch ID/transmission spline condition.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

It's always a giggle to me how forums are all about DIY maintenance and dealers are too expensive or incompetent, but when it comes to buying a used bike everyone wants dealer service records!

Anyway, the original poster is approaching this well, especially in looking to service the braking system. Combining replacement of brake lines with bleeding the servo pump seems pretty much inevitable in any event.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S