Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Continental TKC80 Tires

  1. #1

    Continental TKC80 Tires

    It's tire time again. Anyone have any experience with the longevity of TKC80's. I commute during the week, and do off-road camping on the weekends. I was looking at the heidenau scouts because I've heard of people getting insane mileage out of them, but I got a line on a great deal on some TKC80's.

    My question is.... how do they hold up to street mileage with daily use? Any info about your experience with these tires is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Fastman Fastman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    82

    Continental TKC80 Tires

    Tire wear is dependent upon many factors (weight, speed, surface, etc.), but how hard you twist the throttle is often the biggest factor. One rider will claim getting only 1,500 out of a TKC80 rear while another will say 4,000. I keep TKC80s on my Ď16 R1200GSA at all times unless Iím going on a long road trip. Iím gentle on the throttle and get good wear (maybe around 3,500 miles). Iím on my 2nd TKC80 rear, but thatís because I put a nice hole in the 1st one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

  3. #3
    What bike?

    I rode an F650 from Kansas to Anchorage with TKC80s. The rear was gone. Front had some life left but I replaced it anyway. Then rode back to Kansas on the new set of TKC80s.

    You probably won't do this on a bigger GS.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-09-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  4. #4
    Registered User CABNFVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by medic_moto View Post
    It's tire time again. Anyone have any experience with the longevity of TKC80's. ...
    The Heidenau Scouts are reported very good but sizes weren't available for our 2014 GS at the time so we went with TKC80s for a mix of moderate Colorado passes and pavement. The TKC80s were remarkable when things got yucky and stuck amazingly well on pavement but were gone by 2500 miles. The Anakee Wild and Karoo 3s are out now and reportedly provide better mileage. If you are just on fire roads have you considered the TKC70s?
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastman View Post
    Tire wear is dependent upon many factors (weight, speed, surface, etc.), but how hard you twist the throttle is often the biggest factor. One rider will claim getting only 1,500 out of a TKC80 rear while another will say 4,000. I keep TKC80s on my Ď16 R1200GSA at all times unless Iím going on a long road trip. Iím gentle on the throttle and get good wear (maybe around 3,500 miles). Iím on my 2nd TKC80 rear, but thatís because I put a nice hole in the 1st one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm pretty easy on the throttle on the street, and I expect a 50/50 to wear more from road driving. I'm more of a minimalist camper offroad. I have side cases, and a top case, and usually a drybag across the back seat, but all of my gear is ultralight stuff from backpacking, so I don't tend to bring the kitchen sink. Getting a puncture in a newer tire is so depressing. HAHA.


    [QUOTE=PGlaves;1109300]What bike?

    I rode an F650 from Kansas to Anchorage with TKC80s. The rear was gone. Front had some life left but I replaced it anyway. Then rode back to Kansas on the new set of TKC80s.

    You probably won't do this on a bigger GS.[/QUOTE

    I have a G 650 GS. About how many miles do you think it was one way for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    The Heidenau Scouts are reported very good but sizes weren't available for our 2014 GS at the time so we went with TKC80s for a mix of moderate Colorado passes and pavement. The TKC80s were remarkable when things got yucky and stuck amazingly well on pavement but were gone by 2500 miles. The Anakee Wild and Karoo 3s are out now and reportedly provide better mileage. If you are just on fire roads have you considered the TKC70s?
    I have looked at the TKC70's, but those are similar to the battlewings that came on my bike when I first got it, and I wasnt pleased with the wear on those really. I just don't want to purchase the tkc80's and burn through them by mid summer. I'd like to have some decent tires for the national rally trip. Not too worried about Iowa, but after the rally I'm headed to Colorado to visit some friends, and do some off-roading/camping for a few days before I head back to Illinois, so I need a decent 50/50. Mayne the Scouts will be my best bet. I'm not familiar with the Karoo 3's, perhaps I should research those as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Continental RB2 / K112 tires
    By lmo1131 in forum Airheads
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-13-2015, 05:08 AM
  2. Continental Road Attack tires
    By dockeithdc in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 04:16 PM
  3. Continental road attack tires
    By dockeithdc in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 02:55 PM
  4. R27 Continental tires
    By kentpham in forum Vintage
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 01:01 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 12:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •