• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

12000 mile Service

bobw

I'm new to BMW and my 2017 RT will be needing the 12,000 mile service in about 4,000 miles. I need to know where to buy the feeler gauges, sparkplugs and whatever else I will need to do the service. I'm planning on using a K&N air filter.I've been riding Goldwings for the last 40 years so this is all new to me. So far I'm not impressed with the tire mileage and its 100 miles to the nearest dealer and I have no plans to change my own. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

I'm new to BMW and my 2017 RT will be needing the 12,000 mile service in about 4,000 miles. I need to know where to buy the feeler gauges, sparkplugs and whatever else I will need to do the service. I'm planning on using a K&N air filter.I've been riding Goldwings for the last 40 years so this is all new to me. So far I'm not impressed with the tire mileage and its 100 miles to the nearest dealer and I have no plans to change my own. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob

I'm not sure about the 12K service. Get a repair/service CD if/as-soon-as available.

As for tires at the dealership 100 miles away. Make an appointment and go for a nice 100 mile ride. That is what motorcycles are for. Better yet, make it a 150 mile ride, taking the back roads.

Stick with the OEM air and oil filters. There is no benefit to using a K&N anything. If cost is motivating you to buy K&N, then consider that you’ll be saving only a few one thousandths of a percent of the value of the bike. I believe K&N is a scam.

I stuck with the OEM air filter on my Oilhead GSA and was grateful for the excellent filtration during my trip to Prudhoe and other dusty destinations. Since you're doing the service yourself, I'd stick with the OEM filter until at least after the warranty is up... K&N filters do let more air through but also more dust....

Bob

I suspect Beemer Boneyard will have all you need for the 12K service.

i just did my 12k service. and I got everything from Beemer bonyard.

the only thing I couldn't get there was a Final Drive boot for my wet head. Although, to be honest, they might have it. I just couldn't find it on their web site and i didn't take the time to call.

i just did my 12k service. and I got everything from Beemer bonyard.

the only thing I couldn't get there was a Final Drive boot for my wet head. Although, to be honest, they might have it. I just couldn't find it on their web site and i didn't take the time to call.

Does the 12K service really require a new driveshaft boot? If so - what a terrible step backwards. Voni's R1100RS at 410,000 miles and 23 years old still has its original perfectly fine driveshaft boot. Ditto my 14 year old R1150R at 190,000 miles.

The boot is not required, but while I was checking my fd, I saw that my boot was incorrectly installed which damaged the seal. Instead of trying to cobble it back on, I decided to get a new one.

Thanks for the information. I checked Beemer Boneyard and see the kit with oil and air filter, sparkplugs but don't see the wethead feeler gauges.

you can get the feeler gauges anywhere, like autozone or napa. Not a tool specific to wetheads.

Every True Value, or Ace Hardware, Sears (if they still exist near you) and O'Reilly, NAPA, or Auto Zone auto parts stores, and 100 other places sell feeler guages.

Last edited:
my oil filler tool was missing when i bought my bike so I bought a coil puller / filler plug tool combo.

Some people may not know the screwdriver under the seat is the oil filler tool. Just remove the shaft from the screwdriver handle.
I'm glad the salesman pointed this out to me.
I also purchased the little plastic tool from BMW and leave it on the garage bench.
Part # 71 11 7 691 446 $6.22

yea, i knew about the screwdriver handle. mine was missing.

I also saw the trick about using your key, but I figured I would just gouge up my filler plug.

so i went with the combo tool. I keep it in my travel tool kit.

I like the tool I used for 28 years on the K Bike Brick engine oil filler cap.
My index finger and thumb. Never left home without it :)

Back