• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New 2018 F850GS and F750GS at the EICMA Show

505 lbs and 95 HP versus 537 lbs and 125 HP for the R1200GS. For an additional 32 lbs you can lose the chain, have a bike that probably has a lower center of gravity and gain over 30% in HP. In my opinion it is getting harder to see any advantages in going with the parallel twin.... although there is cost.

95hp is plenty for any road work, and the 850 looks like a good mount if there’s any single-track use in one’s future.
Best,
DG

At 493.8 pounds for the F750GS, I think I will stay with my well-liked F700GS

One of many reasons why I bought my current bike was its lighter weight, which my bad knee really appreciates.

A lot of great improvements to this bike and I am sure we will see comparison tests to other bikes in it's class. The 95 HP and 68 Ft-Lb (and other specs. including weight) puts it very close to the Africa Twin. And now Honda has announced the Africa Twin Adventure Sport (with a 6.4 gallon tank).

The color schemes of the BMW 850 and Africa Twin match down to the gold rims.

But a 3.9 gallon fuel tank on an adventure bike? Seems like the BMW rear gas tank design was a good way to offer the larger tank on the GSA version.

It will be interesting to hear people's reasons for buying (or not buying) the BMW 850 over other bikes in or near this class.
Have not heard if or when the GSA version of the 850 will be released.

Last edited:
Looking at promo picture, they have time to add side reflectors before the production run:whistle

Looking at promo picture, they have time to add side reflectors before the production run:whistle

As we have discovered, side reflectors at the rear seem to be a uniquely North American requirement. I suspect that unless the intern graduates and leaves, they might remember the recent kerfluffle long enough to equip US and Canada bound bikes with reflectors this time around.

While I have no plans to rush out and put an order in for one, I can see updating my F800GS at some time. The sales advantage I think will be price point not specs. However, there are a few new features that would reduce the number of upgrades needed for me like the tubeless wheels now offered. To me, chain drive is a bonus as I can change the ratio easily to suit my style. As they stand right now, the biggest concern I have is the reduction of the fuel capacity by 1L. I haven't seen any fuel consumption numbers yet for the new motor, but I would hope that it sips a bit less to make up for the capacity loss. Just the same, I'll be waiting for the adventure version with more capacity before I buy in.

At 493.8 pounds for the F750GS, I think I will stay with my well-liked F700GS

One of many reasons why I bought my current bike was its lighter weight, which my bad knee really appreciates.

Don't forget they changed the gas tank from under the seat to one much higher between the knees (higher center of gravity). That's a deal breaker for me!

I too will keep my F700GS......

Don't forget they changed the gas tank from under the seat to one much higher between the knees (higher center of gravity). That's a deal breaker for me!

I too will keep my F700GS......

Just thinking of all those years and miles on my R80G/S, R100GS, several classic K bikes and my R1150R, all with traditional fuel tanks ahead of the rider, how was I to know that made them too hard to ride?

+1 on that ...they moved the tank higher and to the front. Who wants a front heavy, high c of G off road bike??
and totally new Chinese engine.

Other than migrating all the electronic goodies ESA, etc etc what's better?

This design is more suitable for a road bike than a GS! Are they offering any road versions???

Just thinking of all those years and miles on my R80G/S, R100GS, several classic K bikes and my R1150R, all with traditional fuel tanks ahead of the rider, how was I to know that made them too hard to ride?

"Hard to ride" is a relative term. The old R/GS bike had the advantage of the boxer's low c of g which a twin does not have. Still having the 30,40 or 50 lbs of fuel lower is better. Going from a GS design where it is under the seat to the "old"way higher is not an improvement in any technical sense for an "off road bike". Same for moving a weight over the front wheel....good for road / race bikes....make no sense for a bike in dirt, gravel sand.

Having said that...most "GSs" are only ridden as road bike any how....most only buy the GS for the "tough look"...so most will never care!

My hat is off to anybody who can muscle a GSA in the dirt...that guy/gal is a highly skilled and likely very muscular rider.

+1 on that ...they moved the tank higher and to the front. Who wants a front heavy, high c of G off road bike??
and totally new Chinese engine.

Other than migrating all the electronic goodies ESA, etc etc what's better?

This design is more suitable for a road bike than a GS! Are they offering any road versions???

Maybe 2019 F850GT???:scratch:dance

Having said that...most "GSs" are only ridden as road bike any how....most only buy the GS for the "tough look"...so most will never care!

Touring bike, yes, but not for the "tough look," but rather for the better ergonomics and refreshing lack of Tupperware...a bit of Enduro mode for gravel roads is okay, too.

Touring bike, yes, but not for the "tough look," but rather for the better ergonomics and refreshing lack of Tupperware...a bit of Enduro mode for gravel roads is okay, too.

Yes I would agree that a tough look is not assured by riding GS. Maybe if scratched to hell muddy and gum shoed with duct tape, possibly but n not necessarily....

Having said that...most "GSs" are only ridden as road bike any how....most only buy the GS for the "tough look"

Mine is used as a road bike and I am sure some are purchased because of the look.

The reasons for my choice were different.

My wife and I had his an her's Victory Visions up to 2013.

In 2013, she wanted to look at other bikes and we eventually wound up at a BMW shop.

My first response to seeing an F700GS was "I would not ride a funny little thing like that".

Then I looked it over closely, sat on it, eventually we went to another dealer where we test rode them.

The F700GS out performed the Vision on acceleration, handling, braking and with the Vario's, could carry more, I was sold.

I bought mine for the more standard riding position and lighter weight and for the other attributes I previously mentioned.

Four riding season have confirmed that I made the right choice.

Back