Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New 2018 F850GS and F750GS at the EICMA Show

New 2018 F850GS and F750GS at the EICMA Show

BMW just introduced the radically new F850 and F750 GS bikes at the EICMA show in Milan.

Read it all here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...nd-f750gs.html
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

505 lbs and 95 HP versus 537 lbs and 125 HP for the R1200GS. For an additional 32 lbs you can lose the chain, have a bike that probably has a lower center of gravity and gain over 30% in HP. In my opinion it is getting harder to see any advantages in going with the parallel twin.... although there is cost.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

95hp is plenty for any road work, and the 850 looks like a good mount if there’s any single-track use in one’s future.
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

At 493.8 pounds for the F750GS, I think I will stay with my well-liked F700GS

One of many reasons why I bought my current bike was its lighter weight, which my bad knee really appreciates.
    Niagara BMW Riders #298

2013 F700GS (his), 2015 R1200RT (her's)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    From the Yankee Beemers forum-

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

A lot of great improvements to this bike and I am sure we will see comparison tests to other bikes in it's class. The 95 HP and 68 Ft-Lb (and other specs. including weight) puts it very close to the Africa Twin. And now Honda has announced the Africa Twin Adventure Sport (with a 6.4 gallon tank).

The color schemes of the BMW 850 and Africa Twin match down to the gold rims.

But a 3.9 gallon fuel tank on an adventure bike? Seems like the BMW rear gas tank design was a good way to offer the larger tank on the GSA version.

It will be interesting to hear people's reasons for buying (or not buying) the BMW 850 over other bikes in or near this class.
    Have not heard if or when the GSA version of the 850 will be released.
    Last edited by k75s; 11-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    2014 R1200 GSA (Property taxes & registration: $309), 1992 K75s (Property taxes & registration: $37)

Looking at promo picture, they have time to add side reflectors before the production run
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Looking at promo picture, they have time to add side reflectors before the production run
    As we have discovered, side reflectors at the rear seem to be a uniquely North American requirement. I suspect that unless the intern graduates and leaves, they might remember the recent kerfluffle long enough to equip US and Canada bound bikes with reflectors this time around.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

While I have no plans to rush out and put an order in for one, I can see updating my F800GS at some time. The sales advantage I think will be price point not specs. However, there are a few new features that would reduce the number of upgrades needed for me like the tubeless wheels now offered. To me, chain drive is a bonus as I can change the ratio easily to suit my style. As they stand right now, the biggest concern I have is the reduction of the fuel capacity by 1L. I haven't seen any fuel consumption numbers yet for the new motor, but I would hope that it sips a bit less to make up for the capacity loss. Just the same, I'll be waiting for the adventure version with more capacity before I buy in.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 101k miles
    2013 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by glenb View Post
    At 493.8 pounds for the F750GS, I think I will stay with my well-liked F700GS

One of many reasons why I bought my current bike was its lighter weight, which my bad knee really appreciates.
    Don't forget they changed the gas tank from under the seat to one much higher between the knees (higher center of gravity). That's a deal breaker for me!

I too will keep my F700GS......

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    Don't forget they changed the gas tank from under the seat to one much higher between the knees (higher center of gravity). That's a deal breaker for me!

I too will keep my F700GS......
    Just thinking of all those years and miles on my R80G/S, R100GS, several classic K bikes and my R1150R, all with traditional fuel tanks ahead of the rider, how was I to know that made them too hard to ride?

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post

+1 on that ...they moved the tank higher and to the front. Who wants a front heavy, high c of G off road bike??
    and totally new Chinese engine.

Other than migrating all the electronic goodies ESA, etc etc what's better?

This design is more suitable for a road bike than a GS! Are they offering any road versions???

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Just thinking of all those years and miles on my R80G/S, R100GS, several classic K bikes and my R1150R, all with traditional fuel tanks ahead of the rider, how was I to know that made them too hard to ride?
    "Hard to ride" is a relative term. The old R/GS bike had the advantage of the boxer's low c of g which a twin does not have. Still having the 30,40 or 50 lbs of fuel lower is better. Going from a GS design where it is under the seat to the "old"way higher is not an improvement in any technical sense for an "off road bike". Same for moving a weight over the front wheel....good for road / race bikes....make no sense for a bike in dirt, gravel sand.

Having said that...most "GSs" are only ridden as road bike any how....most only buy the GS for the "tough look"...so most will never care!

My hat is off to anybody who can muscle a GSA in the dirt...that guy/gal is a highly skilled and likely very muscular rider.

Quote Originally Posted by bobzeliff View Post
    +1 on that ...they moved the tank higher and to the front. Who wants a front heavy, high c of G off road bike??
    and totally new Chinese engine.

Other than migrating all the electronic goodies ESA, etc etc what's better?

This design is more suitable for a road bike than a GS! Are they offering any road versions???
    Maybe 2019 F850GT???