• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 K1200GT tail light bulbs

cdavis

My new-to-me (3 months) 2007 K1200GT seems to have an appetite for tail light bulbs. I've already replaced them twice after the warning light came on each time. Upon removing the bulbs I found the bottom center contact is flat, not pointed as on a new bulb. It looks like there is arcing or something similar going on and eating away at the contact.

Anyone else have this issue, or know what the cause/remedy might be?

The bulbs are P21W / 1057's.

TiA

Scuff the socket contacts with 220 sandpaper. Don't try to grind them down, just scuff enough to remove possible oxidation.

Are the bulbs really dead or only the contacts are messed up?

That sounds more like a socket problem - typically, there is a little spring inside of that, to maintain contact between the socket's center and the bulb's tip, but it's Not supposed to wear down the bulb that quickly (even though the contact on the bulb is soft).
Vibration (or lots of rough roads) may cause the contacts to "make and break"; this causes the arcing, and the sudden loss of, and then application of, the 12 volts causes extreme temperature cycling of the filament, causing its early demise.
Inspect the socket and its mounting, including the surrounding tail section, and all relevant wiring. Sometimes the problem is actually on the Ground side - but it shows at the +12 (bulb tip) side because the bulb's ground is much larger and less likely to lose contact.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

The bulb filaments appear to be fine -- just the contact at the base is a problem.

I am going to try to increase the spring pressure of the socket on the bulb, and remove mild surface corrosion on the socket contact.

Increasing the spring pressure (I presume by pulling it a tad) will flatten the bulb's center contact more.
It may improve the contact (for a while), but I'd look for the "Root Cause" of the make-and-break.

Back