• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Red Start/Emergency Stop Button - sticking

BostonG

Went to go for a ride yesterday and the red start button is stuck and can not push it into the start position. It goes into the stop position but when I pushed it hard into the start position it moved a fraction but not all the way. Sp, could not start my bike.

My thought is something is causing it to jam and need to remove the assembly and see. But could not figure out how to unscrew it. Looked at a parts guide and the screw is listed as a FLANGED CAP SCREW - 2,5X15. Could not find the proper screwdriver. Anyone know what type of head the screw has (so I can buy the needed screwdriver).

Also, anyone take it off and is this the right step to see why it appears jammed. Thought to either take off the assembly or just pop the red button, but not sure what is correct.

thanks

Had something like that happen once, hit it with a shot of WD-40 then when it was loosened up, a shot of Tri-Flow.
Worth a try.
OM

I have an RT but I recall BMW had a problem with the Kill Switch on the early GS wethead, I'd check to see it you are covered with a warranty claim.

Jay

My GSW start button got very hard to press after three days of riding in very dusty conditions. I was afraid I’d break it as hard as I was having to push it to start the bike. I flushed it with tons of water while working the switch back and forth and then lubricated with wd40. Pretty much back to normal now but seems like a poor design for a bike that’s going to experience those conditions.

In 1985 I went to the National Rally in Florida. I had an R90 but that is not the point. In a few days in that humid salt air both my kill switch and my high-low beam headlight switch became very stiff and almost impossible to change. I went to a hardware store and got both WD40 and Electric Motor Cleaner. A few shots of each and several back and forth activations and the switches were fine.

I recommend this in the instant case. It works best if the switch casing is removed from the handlebars and cleaners and lubricants are injected from the backside.

Back