• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200RT. disconnecting battery question:

rick601

I just got a First Gear heated jacket. Instructions say to connect to battery...(ie can't use outlet or charging pigtail). Is it OK to just disconnect the battery and connect jacket cable, or is there a procedure I need to follow so as to not confuse the electronics on the bike? Oh- as long as I'm asking....where's the battery? (yeah, I could find it, but as long as I'm here...asking...)

Thanks in advance guys!

I just got a First Gear heated jacket. Instructions say to connect to battery...(ie can't use outlet or charging pigtail). Is it OK to just disconnect the battery and connect jacket cable, or is there a procedure I need to follow so as to not confuse the electronics on the bike? Oh- as long as I'm asking....where's the battery? (yeah, I could find it, but as long as I'm here...asking...)

Thanks in advance guys!
Yes it can be connected to the battery which is accessed on the right hand side of the bike behind a triangular piece of body work just below the front seat. I installed a BMW outlet on the left side of my bike for use as a charging port as well as for my heated gear.

Attachments

• accassory socket.jpg
    accassory socket.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 243
I can understand why they suggest not using the OEM factory outlet but not understanding why the pigtail would not work? My dealer puts a heated gear / batter tender cable on all bikes they sell.

Yes it can be connected to the battery which is accessed on the right hand side of the bike behind a triangular piece of body work just below the front seat. I installed a BMW outlet on the left side of my bike for use as a charging port as well as for my heated gear.

I did the exact thing on my bike, only opposite right side, on my buddies bike I installed it on upper fairing next to factory plug on right, just order the longer pigtails on powerlet plug, great for heated gear, air compressor and charging

not understanding why the pigtail would not work? .

Same here.
On my 2016 I use a pigtail connected to the battery for charging and heated gear.
There's a remote positive post with a red cap on the right side of my bike making it easier to add a pigtail.

Thanks in advance guys!

As others have written, the battery is on the right hand side, bellow the seat.
There should be no problem with the electronics, as long as you do it in proper order. First, disconnect the ground (negative) from the battery, to prevent shorts to ground.
There is a positive connector next to the battery that you can use instead of the positive pole.
Reconnect everything in the reverse order.

You may get an error code on the display. Reset the bike's clock to clear it. If you have the bike set to sync using the GPS, it will reset automatically.

Someone posted this pic in the past, it's one of the best I've seen.

74137d1424037884-2014-2015-r1200rt-crappy-horns-positive-horn-connection.jpg

As others have written, the battery is on the right hand side, bellow the seat.
There should be no problem with the electronics, as long as you do it in proper order. First, disconnect the ground (negative) from the battery, to prevent shorts to ground.
There is a positive connector next to the battery that you can use instead of the positive pole.
Reconnect everything in the reverse order.

You may get an error code on the display. Reset the bike's clock to clear it. If you have the bike set to sync using the GPS, it will reset automatically.

Someone posted this pic in the past, it's one of the best I've seen.

74137d1424037884-2014-2015-r1200rt-crappy-horns-positive-horn-connection.jpg

Thanks, perfect!

I did the exact thing on my bike, only opposite right side, on my buddies bike I installed it on upper fairing next to factory plug on right, just order the longer pigtails on powerlet plug, great for heated gear, air compressor and charging

I have Gerbing's heated gear and the plug-in is on the left side of the jacket so the left side was the logical place to locate the power outlet.

I can understand why they suggest not using the OEM factory outlet but not understanding why the pigtail would not work? My dealer puts a heated gear / batter tender cable on all bikes they sell.

Ed
Nothing wrong with using pigtail, my dealer also does that
I just find it easier to use powerlet plug as all the gear I plug into it has the male Bmw/din connector

Ed
Nothing wrong with using pigtail, my dealer also does that
I just find it easier to use power let plug as all the gear I plug into it has the male Bmw/din connector

My question was based on the OP comment that ...instructions say to connect to battery...(i.e. can't use outlet or charging pigtail)

I understand using the BMW plug was just unsure why the instructions say no pigtail?

My question was based on the OP comment that ...instructions say to connect to battery...(i.e. can't use outlet or charging pigtail)

I understand using the BMW plug was just unsure why the instructions say no pigtail?

That's what it said! Though my dealer DID give me a connector for from charging pigtail (SAE?) to heated clothing stuff. Perhaps too many fuses? in a row?charger, and clothing . I did do a seperate connection with the first gear cable to battery , the plug tucks unobtrusively along seat, and controller velcroix to between tank bag straps.

I am willing to bet that the clothing came with wiring with ring connectors on one end and a coaxial connector on the other end, with a fuse in the middle on the +12v wire. And that the instructions said, or intended to say, connect this directly to the battery. I do know that this is what happens with Gerbing and Warm and Safe.

I am willing to bet that the clothing came with wiring with ring connectors on one end and a coaxial connector on the other end, with a fuse in the middle on the +12v wire. And that the instructions said, or intended to say, connect this directly to the battery. I do know that this is what happens with Gerbing and Warm and Safe.

+1 :thumb

Indeed the "First Gear clothing's heat is actually warm and safe hardware!" If by "ring" connector you mean red and black wires for direct battery connection- that too. The dealer did provide an sae to heater controller "jack" so I could plug to the tender cable, but I opted to follow the warm and safe/first gear instructions...if anyone is interested in the SAE tender connection to heat controller jack, part number I can look for it and post it.

Back