• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

stick coil loose

dpmonk

P Monk
On my new to me 2011 RT, I the spark plug/coil cover pulled a Harley on a ride the other day. I did notice a couple of times where there was a slight miss while accelerating. I find the stick coil backing off the spark plug when the bike warms up. When cool it seems to be nice and tight. The coil backed out so far I am not sure it was even firing the plug. Anyway a new cover has arrived but it doesn't seem right that the coil would back off the plug.

question about loose coil

So let's make this a question. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is it normal and the cover supposed to keep the coil in place? Or should the coil click on to the sparkplug?

Should feel it click in place. Have not had one come loose if properly seated and don't think the upper cover would keep it in place
Have found the lower ones loose on occasion and made assumption laying on ground by previous persons visit didn't fully seat before screwing the guard in place.
I put a bit of moisture on the boots opening and always feel the click

On my new to me 2011 RT, I the spark plug/coil cover pulled a Harley on a ride the other day. I did notice a couple of times where there was a slight miss while accelerating. I find the stick coil backing off the spark plug when the bike warms up. When cool it seems to be nice and tight. The coil backed out so far I am not sure it was even firing the plug. Anyway a new cover has arrived but it doesn't seem right that the coil would back off the plug.

My 2012 rt did the same thing after i lost the cover in high wind . The cover holds it in place..

My 2012 rt did the same thing after i lost the cover in high wind . The cover holds it in place..

Perhaps you lost the cover because the coil was not properly seated and prevented proper installation of the cover?

It should take a pretty strong pull to remove the coil from the spark plug - much more force than needed to remove the decorative cover. The coil is held by a spring metal clip to the spark plug terminal and the rubber boot gripping the porcelain insulator. The cover only has some small plastic tabs.

Think about it another way - what would be the source of the considerable force that is popping off these covers and coils? Even a loose spark plug will not do it, as the plug and coil area does not have an airtight seal to build pressure.

My vote is for a coil that was not properly seated.

Can one of our electrical engineers explain to me the advantages of using stick coils on motorcycles. It seems to me the frequent complaints about loose, broken, or failed stick coils are far more numerous that we ever heard about conventional coils, certainly since the early Airhead days (was it the blue coils or brown coils??).

What are the technical advantages that subject us to all this stick coil grief?

They're small and light in weight; maybe they're easier to manufacture?
They also eliminate that "high tension" (high voltage) cable that can become intermittent or open.
("Hey Bubba, hold my beer while I check for a spark!")
I've read several times that the BMW cars have had issues with their sticks, too...

stick coils

mainly they are much much much more expensive.

And I agree that the coils should not be able to back off. I do not feel any spring clicking on the spark plug. Just got new plugs, either the coil will have to be replaced, or maybe someone removed the nut on top of the plug? Right now trying to get my house in a livable condition, but will pull the plug tomorrow to see.

So let's make this a question. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Is it normal and the cover supposed to keep the coil in place? Or should the coil click on to the sparkplug?

when i service my 13RT and change plugs both the upper and lower stick coils "click" firmly onto the top of the spark plug...the covers, in my view, are only there for aesthetics. mind you, i have changed plus 5 times in the 93,000 miles i have had the RT....i am currently running E3.38 plugs with great success and they also use the "top cap" BUT are 5/8" vs 14mm

just my 2 cents worth...

Back