• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Road 5 Tire - for Sport-Tourers

exgman

I heard about this, saw it on FaceBook and found a PDF describing the tire:

MICHELIN-CP+Road5+GB.jpg

Wow! They look kind of aggressive I'm trying the Dunlop R III s. I have 5k miles on them with very little wear and handle rain great. Less expensive than the PR4GTs they replaced.

One of the reasons I loved the PR 4's so much is because of the small tread and a tread depth hole across the middle of the rear tire. The 5 has eliminated them.
Arggghhh!
Why don't they put a tread depth hole in the middle of the tire?!

That's why we were always getting caught out thinking we had more miles on the tire and then wham! Cord showing!

All the brands are doing that and it really frustrates me. :banghead

One of the reasons I loved the PR 4's so much is because of the small tread and a tread depth hole across the middle of the rear tire. The 5 has eliminated them.
Arggghhh!
Why don't they put a tread depth hole in the middle of the tire?!

I agree. I found out the hard way on a trip, the center most tread wear indicators do not tell you how much rubber is left at the center of a tire.

IMG_0056.jpg

I'll use Pilot Road 4 again next year. Not sure what I'll use when the 4s are no longer available.

110/80ZR18 Pilot ANYTHING please . Pilot Road 3s in that size out of PRODUCTION

Hi,
Both of my old K bikes have wide rear rims and modified centerstands to run Pilot road 3s , 110/80ZR18 Front and 160/60ZR18 Rear.

The Pilot Road 3 in my front size is out of PRODUCTION according to 800 346 4098 8-5 EST Michelin USA.

The Michelin USA phone guy would not say if PR4 is going to come out in my front size. He didn't even mention PR5 but the press release link above says fronts in just two sizes to start.
The phone guy said if I find a PR2 in my size, they haven't made them recently (consequently the date code will be really old).

Any good news will be welcome, make my Thanksgiving Happier.

177inthe70s
Phila PA
1985K100RS w 196K miles
1990K75S w 52K miles

UPDATE DEC 2017: Bought and rec'd two fronts from EBAY Suzuki store in the UK. Pricey but I mount my own and this time didn't save anything. Glad to see molding date code was this year.

Last edited:
Anything against Dunlops? They come in those sizes. Or you go back to bias ply tires. Michelin has a Pilot Activ is those sizes. And then there's the tried and true ME880's.

Bridgestone has those sizes but I don't like Bridgestones and rarely recommend them.

Good luck.

Back