Thread: Why Outlaw Biker Gangs Ride Harley-Davidsons

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool Why Outlaw Biker Gangs Ride Harley-Davidsons

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Harley bashing thread-

I was directed to Rideapart and in an interesting article by Tim Huber, he wrote a rather interesting article on the HD popularity- and how it came to be.

For your motorcycle reading enjoyment-

https://rideapart.com/articles/outla...rley-davidsons

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Lee Marvin............"Wild Ones" rode one

And yet, in the last article and photo series I saw on Sonny Barger, long-term president of the Hells Angels, his ride of choice was a BMW RT. Perhaps aging brings an appreciation of function over form even in the OMG.

It is interesting that we’ve never seen in the R1200C community the level of brand commitment that would induce something like the acquisition of a full-neck tattoo of the roundel, in flames.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Not all outlaws ride the HD brand. While working Gang Intelligence before retiring, we were quite surprised to find that many of the top HA leaders mounted up, on you guessed it, on BMW's. Smart guys in a limited way.........

I'm guessing it's the image more than anything else. It would be hard to look very tough on a Honda scooter.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    It would be hard to look very tough on a Honda scooter.
    2F289FB500000578-0-image-a-9_1449581395662.jpg
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Indian just might make a dent in Harley’s dominance of the biker gang “market” (do gang members normally buy their bikes?). Indian completely dominated the flat track series their first year back in racing (winning 14 of 18 races) and Harley performed very poorly with their new racing engine (the factory team had only one podium finish all season). And you know the time honored adage; Win on Sunday, get stolen on Monday.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    It is interesting that we’ve never seen in the R1200C community the level of brand commitment that would induce something like the acquisition of a full-neck tattoo of the roundel, in flames.
    Yeah well, now that BMW came out with the Bar Hoppin Bagger, look out buddy, all hell is going to break loose.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yeah well, now that BMW came out with the Bar Hoppin Bagger, look out buddy, all hell is going to break loose.
    People - this is a serious threat!

Next thing you know, the 'Quad-B's' ("Bad Boy Beemer Baggers") will be trying to barge in on Gold Wingers at Dairy Queen, and there will be a nasty turf war!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    People - this is a serious threat!

Next thing you know, the 'Quad-B's' ("Bad Boy Beemer Baggers") will be trying to barge in on Gold Wingers at Dairy Queen, and there will be a nasty turf war!
    Is this anything like the simmering rivalry between "The Chain Gang" and "Airheads" in days of yore?
    1973 R75/5

I tried joining the Chain Gang years ago with my KLR 650. They told to get lost.

Then they found out I had an Airhead. I had to run for my life. I lived to tell the tale.

I saw a scooter rider in town a while back with a German style helmet: badass.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Then they found out I had an Airhead. I had to run for my life. I lived to tell the tale.
    Voni and I rode our K75s to a Jail Break in the Clouds (Talimina St. Park) one year. We did have F650s at the time but were on the road when we decided to jog over to the event. Nobody seemed to care that the K bikes were there.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Yes in the beautiful desolate area of the western Ouchita Mountains I'm sure anything with a BMW Roundel was welcome. I attended a couple of the Jailbreak in the Clouds back in the day. If I remember correctly the Naturally Beemers had a Fall camp out close by and we rode over to see our chain drive breathern. I guess it's been about 20 years ago. Time flies by. I think I've got a stack of Naturally Beemer Newsletters from that era. May pull them out and read the reports and correctly refresh my fading memory. Yep, good memories from the early years of the Naturally Beemers. We were a pretty close knit bunch back in the day. I was recently over at the Rams Rally at Parkers Crossroads, Tn.. I didn't see one NBer there. Usually I see a group of 3 or 4. I havn't been active for several years. I need to make contact and find out the status of the club.