• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT trunk

If Givi V47 looks good for you then that's the way you should go. For me, BMW's 28L case was perfect for my '06, '13 and '16 RTs. Not too big, great quality and styling, especially if you paint the top shell to match.

If Givi V47 looks good for you then that's the way you should go. For me, BMW's 28L case was perfect for my '06, '13 and '16 RTs. Not too big, great quality and styling, especially if you paint the top shell to match.

+1 on the 28L, in my opinion it looks great on RT, roomy enough for one up riding

I recently installed a Shad 58. I like it's looks and also like the expandable feature. Seems good quality and mounting system is solid.

Here is the small BMW case. I prefer the looks of BMW's top cases.

17-and-15.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a few pics of my shad and Patricia's Givi also.
I like the paint job of the Shad. I need to get mine into the paint shop but he's busy fixing deer hits now that the rut is in full swing up here in Michigan. Not a good time to be out on a motorcycle! Those bucks only pay attention to one thing this time of year.

I went with the Givi case as the BMW cases are way overpriced. Out of principle I won’t buy one as 2 grand for a plastic box is just ridiculous...YYMV

BMW 28L case is $466 new on Amazon. Back pad is $79. Lock cylinder 51257688957 is $27 and easily matched to the bike's key. Total $572. Paint extra.

Thanks Jeff, I have seen these “older style boxes” but the Givi is still half the price of that and it works just as well. The new case with the led brake lights etc is just too much. Does the BMW case look better on the bike? , maybe, but to me it’s function over form in this case. I’d rather take the extra cash and go for an extended ride!:)

shad sh59x stability

I've been checking out the Shad SH59X but in all the video's of the top bag, it looks like it shakes quite a bit when the bike is being ridden. Does anyone have any experience with it on a RT?

Shake Rattle and Roll!

Hi,
I don't have the Shad but I do have the OEM 49L and 28L and they both shake. I think it has more to do with the rear rack basically being stuck out there in the air with just two side arms. MHO.
Later,
Norm

FWIW my 28L top case doesn't shake at any speed and my RT handles the same with or without it. The bigger 49L may be different.

The larger top box has sharked for years this isn't a Wethead exclusive. I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller ones do to but I don't see many of them and don't pay enough attention to that since shaking is normal on the larger box for sure.

Jay

Test

Hi,
Me again. While riding down a "smooth" road at a constant speed take your left hand and reach back to place it on the back rest. No need to take your eyes off the road. Whether the 28 or the 49 they both move around quite a bit under my hand much more than the bike and myself are moving. Granted, I am used to a GL1800 where the trunk was very solid.
Later,
Norm

Last edited:
Shad looks nice...but I believe it locks when you close it..
Don't get surprised... like so many of my ridin mates. Best!

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Back