• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas tank for winter layup

jschara

This year for winter layup on my 1987 K75s I thought I would siphon the tank dry instead of filling it and adding Sta-bil. I find when I do this to my R/65 (tank removed and drained) it's much easier to work on and move around the garage. Less weight. Being fuel injected will all the gas be gone if I siphon and use compressed air to dry the inside (of tank) or will I have to do something to the injectors to be sure there isn't any gas left in the system? OR, is there a easier way to drain the tank?

Opinions always welcomed,

Jim

You may find a dry tank subject to "flash rust" if not in a climate controlled area. If you want to drain it you could pour in some Marvel Mystery Oil and roll it around and coat the steel. It won't hurt the bike when you start it.
OM

Flash rust in an aluminum tank? That's a new one on me:scratch
Steel or aluminum- same deal. Flash corrosion make you happy?
The ethanol on the aluminum creates moisture which creates the white “paste” that clogs the small parts in a fuel system.
:wave
OM

I just add Stabil and leave the tank with gas in it. But, if you do want to empty the tank for convenience then you need to do two things. First there will be residual fuel in the lines, the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors. The fuel in these components should have stabilizer in the fuel. There is also a sump beneath the fuel pump that is hard to drain. You may need to lift the fuel pump and suction this area to be sure you have all the fuel out.

My bike sits for 6 months in an unheated garage, every winter with fuel in, and no Stabil. No issues, ever. But our climate is very dry. The only issues I have had are with two stroke engines, which don't like stale fuel.

Add appropriate amount of Stabil and fill tank.

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ but add the Stabil, go for a nice looong ride, then fill the tank with non-ethanol gas. Stick something in the intake snorkel to keep out mice and drop a D-con feeder under the bike so there’s something besides seats and wiring for the little buggers to chew on.

Best,
DG

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ but add the Stabil, go for a nice looong ride, then fill the tank with non-ethanol gas. Stick something in the intake snorkel to keep out mice and drop a D-con feeder under the bike so there’s something besides seats and wiring for the little buggers to chew on.

Best,
DG
Non ethanol gas......wish I could get it at a reasonable price as it would be such a help......near the local race track, VP racing fuel is $10/gal.
FWIW, I use StaBil, Techron and some two-stroke mix really run through for storage. Just started a 14hp Kawasaki engine, last run a year ago and it was fine with this mixture.
Mice have been numerous this year. I use a combination of bait and traps.
OM

Attachments

• photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 157
Yeah, and empty tank makes the bike a bit lighter, but all that air in there is doing you no favors. Moist fall air chills down come winter and becomes cold dry air, with a puddle of water beneath it. Not what you want in your tank. Park it full.

Non ethanol gas......wish I could get it at a reasonable price as it would be such a help......near the local race track, VP racing fuel is $10/gal.
FWIW, I use StaBil, Techron and some two-stroke mix really run through for storage. Just started a 14hp Kawasaki engine, last run a year ago and it was fine with this mixture.
Mice have been numerous this year. I use a combination of bait and traps.
OM

This map has gas stations that carry non ethanol gas - may help you price compare.

[url]https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

[/URL]

Thanks for the try......it seems to be mainly the VP racing fuel in 5 gallon cans. The place I have been getting it is a racing fuel right off the pump. I’ll have to check RI and NH.
OM

I guess I'm confused to why you would need racing fuel? (unless you're racing). The non ethonol fuel (at least what I can get here) is of the right octane for our bikes... just trying to understand :)

I guess I'm confused to why you would need racing fuel? (unless you're racing). The non ethonol fuel (at least what I can get here) is of the right octane for our bikes... just trying to understand :)

It’s all I have access to here in mass. It happens to be 108 octane but it’s the non-ethanol that is the important part. The high octane does run well on the 2-stroke engines though.
OM

Thanks to all who responded. I would have moved the tank inside, but not worth the time to remove it just to save a few pounds while moving the bike around the garage. Will add stabil and top off.

Jim

Back