Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank for winter layup

Gas tank for winter layup

This year for winter layup on my 1987 K75s I thought I would siphon the tank dry instead of filling it and adding Sta-bil. I find when I do this to my R/65 (tank removed and drained) it's much easier to work on and move around the garage. Less weight. Being fuel injected will all the gas be gone if I siphon and use compressed air to dry the inside (of tank) or will I have to do something to the injectors to be sure there isn't any gas left in the system? OR, is there a easier way to drain the tank?

Opinions always welcomed,

Jim
    Buffalo, NY

1971 R75/5, 1982 R100/RS, 1978 Triumph Tiger (in bits)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You may find a dry tank subject to "flash rust" if not in a climate controlled area. If you want to drain it you could pour in some Marvel Mystery Oil and roll it around and coat the steel. It won't hurt the bike when you start it.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Flash rust in an aluminum tank? That's a new one on me
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '00 R1100RS

Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    Flash rust in an aluminum tank? That's a new one on me
    Steel or aluminum- same deal. Flash corrosion make you happy?
    The ethanol on the aluminum creates moisture which creates the white ďpasteĒ that clogs the small parts in a fuel system.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I just add Stabil and leave the tank with gas in it. But, if you do want to empty the tank for convenience then you need to do two things. First there will be residual fuel in the lines, the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors. The fuel in these components should have stabilizer in the fuel. There is also a sump beneath the fuel pump that is hard to drain. You may need to lift the fuel pump and suction this area to be sure you have all the fuel out.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Add appropriate amount of Stabil and fill tank.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

My bike sits for 6 months in an unheated garage, every winter with fuel in, and no Stabil. No issues, ever. But our climate is very dry. The only issues I have had are with two stroke engines, which don't like stale fuel.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    Add appropriate amount of Stabil and fill tank.
    ^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ but add the Stabil, go for a nice looong ride, then fill the tank with non-ethanol gas. Stick something in the intake snorkel to keep out mice and drop a D-con feeder under the bike so thereís something besides seats and wiring for the little buggers to chew on.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^ but add the Stabil, go for a nice looong ride, then fill the tank with non-ethanol gas. Stick something in the intake snorkel to keep out mice and drop a D-con feeder under the bike so thereís something besides seats and wiring for the little buggers to chew on.

Best,
    DG
    Non ethanol gas......wish I could get it at a reasonable price as it would be such a help......near the local race track, VP racing fuel is $10/gal.
    FWIW, I use StaBil, Techron and some two-stroke mix really run through for storage. Just started a 14hp Kawasaki engine, last run a year ago and it was fine with this mixture.
    Mice have been numerous this year. I use a combination of bait and traps.
    OM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Yeah, and empty tank makes the bike a bit lighter, but all that air in there is doing you no favors. Moist fall air chills down come winter and becomes cold dry air, with a puddle of water beneath it. Not what you want in your tank. Park it full.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Non ethanol gas......wish I could get it at a reasonable price as it would be such a help......near the local race track, VP racing fuel is $10/gal.
    FWIW, I use StaBil, Techron and some two-stroke mix really run through for storage. Just started a 14hp Kawasaki engine, last run a year ago and it was fine with this mixture.
    Mice have been numerous this year. I use a combination of bait and traps.
    OM

This map has gas stations that carry non ethanol gas - may help you price compare.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    This map has gas stations that carry non ethanol gas - may help you price compare.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html
    Thanks for the try......it seems to be mainly the VP racing fuel in 5 gallon cans. The place I have been getting it is a racing fuel right off the pump. Iíll have to check RI and NH.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Thanks for the try......it seems to be mainly the VP racing fuel in 5 gallon cans. The place I have been getting it is a racing fuel right off the pump. Iíll have to check RI and NH.
    OM
    I guess I'm confused to why you would need racing fuel? (unless you're racing). The non ethonol fuel (at least what I can get here) is of the right octane for our bikes... just trying to understand
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Some guys around here us Avgas for winter storage. They claim it won't go bad over the winter and does not contain any ethanol.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    I guess I'm confused to why you would need racing fuel? (unless you're racing). The non ethonol fuel (at least what I can get here) is of the right octane for our bikes... just trying to understand
    Itís all I have access to here in mass. It happens to be 108 octane but itís the non-ethanol that is the important part. The high octane does run well on the 2-stroke engines though.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200