Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Waterproof cold weather gloves

I've had the Alpinestars Goretex Thinsulate gloves for 9 years now. I have rode over 100,000 miles with these gloves in all kinds of weather from 20 to 60 degrees F & in 20 hour rides in heavy rain & have never got wet once. Any temp below the mid 30's and your hands will eventually get cold. They don't make the exact model glove anymore but Alpinestars still has several good Goretex winter gloves.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    I've had the Alpinestars Goretex Thinsulate gloves for 9 years now. I have rode over 100,000 miles with these gloves in all kinds of weather from 20 to 60 degrees F & in 20 hour rides in heavy rain & have never got wet once. Any temp below the mid 30's and your hands will eventually get cold. They don't make the exact model glove anymore but Alpinestars still has several good Goretex winter gloves.
    After reading everyone's replies, and doing some research on some other forums, and elsewhere I went with the Alpinestars Drystar gloves. It ticked all the boxes I needed, and a great price point. I tested them out on Sunday... in my area it was low 40's, ("feels like 37 with the wind chill according to weather bug.), and rainy. I put in a three hour ride, and never needed to turn on the heated grips, and my hands never felt close to being cold, and my hands were nice, and dry. Time will tell how these hold up, but I'll be sure to put a review up sometime in the spring in case anyone else is interested in these gloves!

Which drystar model did you get ?. I see the new drystar gloves are now touch screen compatible.
    Dave Selvig
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT

Quote Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
    Which drystar model did you get ?. I see the new drystar gloves are now touch screen compatible.
    I got the new version with the touch screen finger. That was my biggest complaint of my last waterproof gloves.

Merlin

Going to try out a pair of Merlin Halo gloves with "Outlast Temperature Control" and a HiPro water proof liner. I have Raynauds Sydrome to a degree and wet and cold are not good combinations for me. The Outlast is like the PCi (if not the same) in the LeeParks DeerSports gloves. Nothing is more comfortable than the Lee Parks, it's just they are way to expensive at $200 not to be waterproof (or close.) The Merlins are about $120.

Supposedly the outlast tech is heat reflective and with heated grips the material reflects heat. I find my palms are fine, toasty and toasty but the back of them are chilled with my rather good firstgear gloves. You know the idea being the gloves for heated grips should off less insulation in the palm and more on the back of the hand.

I ride down to 35 degrees in the fall. Seven miles or so to work is bearable with a good jacket and moderate gloves with heated grips.

So far these gloves are sized pretty close to fit I'd go to the Merlin Website to get the measurements. I got mine from Revzilla.

The BMW Two in Ones (Or Held) sounds like a good idea. I note people claim the chamber can be problematic and bunch up if wet.

The gauntlet could be a little longer but suffice. The glove does protect well enough on the back of the hand from that chill.

As an extra layer of wind protection I installed the Puig hand guard wind deflectors.

Name:  IMG_1724.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  36.1 KB
    Last edited by anglojaxon; 11-16-2017 at 06:08 PM.