• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Filter Access Cover O-Ring

Changed Engine oil and Filter on the 08 LT because Winter is Knocking on the door once again, so the next day I have a small oil leak near the cover in the pan.
Does anyone suggest replacing the o-ring at certain intervals? Thought maybe I had some debris of some sort making it leak, try to be very careful about that.

Thanks for any Suggestions, Donn

O-rings are not a lifetime part. Heat and being compressed cause them to loose their sealing capability. Not a bad idea to change every few oil changes.

$3.45 from BMW.

5 for $10 from beemerboneyard.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
O-rings are not a lifetime part. Heat and being compressed cause them to loose their sealing capability. Not a bad idea to change every few oil changes.

$3.45 from BMW.

5 for $10 from beemerboneyard.

I agree. I change them every 50K or so.

Last edited:
Just remember, 50k on Paul's bike happens WAY sooner than on most peoples bikes and doesn't allow the o-ring to harden as quickly (timewise).

The three factors that should be considered are mileage, heat, and time. An o-ring that might last 50k over two years might be junk after only 20k after 10 years.

The easiest way to tell if it needs replacing is to see how far it sticks up from the groove in the filter cover. If it's not pliable or it looks noticeably flattened, replace it. The biggest problem is that many people don't inspect them during a filter change, they just tighten it back up (until it leaks).

Don't try to strengthen the saying that "the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider". Be smart how you spend your money. $2-3 every few oil changes vs the possibility of a leak should be an easy choice.

I change mine with each oil change. Possibly too proactive but for a few dollars, I eliminate the headache of an oil leak.

Don't know if they still do, but BMW used to sell an "oil change kit." It included the oil filter, along with washers for the tranny and rear drive fill and drain plugs, plus the oil cover o-ring.
Forgot the price, but it was within a few bucks of the filter alone.

Don't know if they still do, but BMW used to sell an "oil change kit." It included the oil filter, along with washers for the tranny and rear drive fill and drain plugs, plus the oil cover o-ring.
Forgot the price, but it was within a few bucks of the filter alone.

They still sell the kit.
$19.45 for the filter.
$25.27 for the kit.

Thanks everyone. Got the tune up kit yesterday.....Appreciate the input, I should have known better. The 08 LT now has 26K, so will do all the filters as well.

Back