Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BMW GS articles

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Is this what BMWMOA has become? IAN thinks and hopes so. For his hopes and dreams I truly appreciate his work.
    I think you missed the whole point. These people could be riding tricycles, for all I care. Whatever it takes to persuade new blood to become a part of our community works for me!

Pretty much the same thing (in terms of building a community) that happens at adventure riding events can happen with sport bikes... or customs... or sport touring... it's just a matter of making an effort to do so.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e || '07 Xchallenge || '14 Grom

No Bud.......Hardly missed the point, just thanking you for your work, outlook, and efforts of trying to point this Club in a direction that tries to keep us afloat. Your voice is one "Lantern In the Dark" that I wish was understood and actually acted upon. THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DO. Wouldn't it be grand if the editor of the CLUB, not the editor's Newsletter, had the vision for the CLUB that YOU and a few others do to try to keep this outfit growing........God bless this CLUB......Dennis

Articles about the other BMW motorcycles would be nice. There was one about a scooter ride a few issues ago that was enjoyable. I wrote an article that was published about riding 14,000 kms in a season and never getting more than 125 kms. from home. One doesn't need to do the big adventure thing to enjoy riding.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    We - Voni and I - are seriously going to lay out the bucks to buy in to the GS frenzy. We have committed to buy two - yes two - brand new GS bikes ASAP.

G310GS bikes.

Then you can all laugh or cry with our success or failures as the case may be.
    I am very interested in your results with the 310, because I know you will ride them a lot and honestly report your impressions and problems (if any)

I have one of the big GS and it is really too big and I just have not bonded with it like the old RS. Of course, that is partly because of the RS. There is just something about the RS.

Rod

As an R1200gs owner myself, I agree with the OP. Anyone who has spent much time riding “off road” understands that light weight, durability, and low repair costs are important considerations for a dirt bike, none of which describes the R1200gs very well. As a highway/smooth road bike the GS is fine. Off road, not so much.

True, some riders can make a big bike like the GS do amazing things for a while. Those riders could probably take a Goldwing down a dirt track and make it do amazing things as well. Talent and skill are important but not necessarily transferable. I'm pretty sure a week's worth of professional training wouldn't make me an R1200gs enduro rider any more than a week's training would prep me to be starting quarterback for an NFL team.

I'll stick to lighter bikes for off-road use and highly recommend the same for others.

Left Coast Rider
    We - Voni and I - are seriously going to lay out the bucks to buy in to the GS frenzy. We have committed to buy two - yes two - brand new GS bikes ASAP.

G310GS bikes.

Then you can all laugh or cry with our success or failures as the case may be.
    We look forward to seeing you both at the Nakusp Hot Springs Rally in August. Be prepared for tonnes (metric) of questions.

IMO there have been a wide variety of articles in the ON. I have read a multitude of touring and S1000 adventures. Lee Parks and the foundation have been very good for the ON.

I ride my GSA camhead throughout Colorado. I was just on a NF road today. The big plus of the GS is the ride getting to the National Forest in my opinion.
    With some basic skills the GS can comfortably do a lot of the Jeep passes in CO. But the basic off road skills need to be present because it is a beast. Luckily I have had some good teachers.

I equate the big 1200GS to those massive trucks used in Rally racing.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

What the ON needs is a decent balance over the months. Sure, some months it might not seem so. It needs good tech. I wrote for 20 years. Yes - 20 years. I am not seeing what I, and several others including Matt did for years and years. Now the new gurus who write on ADV, and this forum and every where else where it is not edited or peer reviewed, and other places need to step up to edited printed journalism. That is what I wrote in my swan song article. I am NOT seeing it. And we need more decent if not pro authors, and less ego from the editor, and a bunch more. I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 11-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

What the ON needs is a decent balance over the months. Sure, some months it might not seem so. It needs good tech. I wrote for 20 years. Yes - 20 years. I am not seeing what I, an several others including Matt did for years and years. Now the new gurus who write on ADV, and this forum and every else where it is not edited or peer reviewed, and other places need to step up to edited printed journalism. That is what I wrote in my swan song article. I am NOT seeing it. And we need more decent if not pro authors, and less ego from the editor, and a bunch more. I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.
    Amen brother Paul
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    The roads, hiways, interstates, back roads, city streets, all inclusive are all in bad shape. Between that and all the junk coming off cars, trucks, big rigs, that's laying in the road way, you really need a GS style just to ride the so-called 'improved' roads in this country. No, I don't own or ride a GS style bike. I need to get one though.
    Everyone's waiting on you to get one.

I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.
    I believe I see quite a lot of diversity in the ON. Personally I am bored with the recounting of tours taken but I assume some members enjoy them. I mostly look for the technical and safety strategy articles.
    The articles on product reviews are so predictable.
    I am sure it is difficult to get properly edited articles to print from a group of motorcycle riders.
    Seek Fun. "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain--and most fools do" BF
    2009 K1300GT,
    2011 R1200GSA
    2014 Kawasaki DTracker; 2016 Honda NC700 DCT

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Geez,there must be better things for you to get wrought up over. Say, oil/tires/battery threads.
    It's too early for those. Winter isn't here yet. I haven't even changed the summer air in my tires.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    It's too early for those. Winter isn't here yet. I haven't even changed the summer air in my tires.
    Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age.
    Even though 'air' is 78% nitrogen anyhow...
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    I have one of the big GS and it is really too big and I just have not bonded with it like the old RS. Of course, that is partly because of the RS. There is just something about the RS.

When given a choice, take both...

DSC05747-M.jpg
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS