• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW GS articles

Yesterday over in Memphis on Getwell Av. A small GS style jap bike passed me. As the bike passed me the rider stood up on the tank then the handlebars as he was accelerating pass me then out of site. I was looking to see him crashed out on the side of road, but he was gone. Oh well. Getwell Av. was named Shotwell Av. until the beginning of WW2 when a VA Hospital was built to take care of wounded military personnel from the battlefields and oceans. The name of the Avenue was then changed from Shotwell to Getwell. :)

I ride a Hex GSA as my touring and errand bike as it does everything well and makes me smile everytime I head out.
I have toured on a K12S and still was drawn back to the GSA,though it is a slower pace...kinda.

I rode an RT a few years and decided it was too gentlemanly for me:D

We have pre- 80's boxers, S's, R's, GS's, K's and some Austrian Roadsters as it's what we do. I have learned my solo limits on the bigger GSA for the most part, but understand the draw to test machine and man...I just read about it and shake my head at times. Looking at the cover just made me chuckle as to how tired I would be after a long day of that particular style of riding. I have taken some serious backroads and have had to pick that big boy up on occasion. It's not what I live for.

My last get off was entering our shop a few weeks ago...I laid on floor and laughed for a few minutes after a day of riding.
IMG_0638.JPG

The GS market is strong and so what some never see a non paved surface, others are making up for that.I'm somewhere in the middle.

Actually I think the OP is dead on right about all the non sense hype concerning the GS. However, all the hype is bringing in $$ and that is what it is all about. Anyone who knows anything about motorcycles won't deny the GS is too big to do any serious "off road", unless you are 20 years old and a professional. I personally love the look of the GS and if I was a big girl I would probably ride one of the larger GS's, but I'm not so I'll stick to my F700GS. I also think that they are given way too much coverage, but again it is about what will sell. It doesn't matter if it makes good sense or not. Also the OP has every right to his opinion :thumb.

So, I received my issue of ON today, and I see what caused all the fuss.

I too am a bit angry with the image. I’m sizzled red that I didn’t find all this a long time ago. Breaching 60, it becomes exponentially more difficult to play with heavy objects in the mud. But boy do I wish I could.

My growth requires, sometimes, a step outside my comfort zone. This image implies the potential for both, and though I may be past this, (assuming no massive Steroid injections), it sure is interesting to break down the walls of my perception regarding what is normal or comfortable, involving a motorcycle. Watching some teen do a back flip, with a snarling dirt bike, and at the apogee taking a selfie, well that boggles my mind. Or when I watched for the first time the Tourist Trophy Racers, doing wheelies, in corners, at over 100 miles an hour, it caused my heart to stop as I held my breath in disbelief. To take a GS pig into the woods? I, would not (yet) even think of it, well maybe not too much. But thanks for the potential, the possibility. It gives me something to shoot for. It gives me hope. I make plans, set goals, and wake up early to try and achieve them.

It makes me want to try.

I still think that my glass is at least half full. Something to do with an insufferable romantic, as my wife says.

However, the economics of the top selling bike aside, it must be difficult to please all the people all the time.
Good luck on that.

For me, and my locked/fixed income, the thoughts of one of these behemoths is something I don't think about to much. The OP, MJTRUEL, is right, for me to think of these huge things that take 2 extra partners along with one to get one out of the problems that one is tempted to take on while out on an "ADVENTURE". it's funny really when you think of the heritage that brought many of us on board back when there was a BMW actually WINNING the 6 Day Trials, and we dreamed of following this. In our youth we rode these things as if we could and we did. NOW, just like the weight, the cost of owning, maintaining, and outfitting one of these things has risen to the ridiculous. At least for me. If there is one of these things, a BMW, that will do all of the GS riding that mostly is done by them is this new Bagger. Now that is a motorcycle. lol.....Perhaps if I am alive for another 10 years I can afford one; but not the maintenance. It's like my Mercedes 320SLK. FAST....Faster than I would ride any motorcycle and just as much of an adrenaline rush. But wait for the "rush" one gets when taking it to the shop......Rush to the bank for a loan!
What I see wrong with the current and forever rising level of coverage by our current editor of the BMWMOA News with so much dirt bike stuff, is what is the interest? Is this what BMWMOA has become? IAN thinks and hopes so. For his hopes and dreams I truly appreciate his work. I salute what the OP is saying, I hope though that some thought is put into a more balanced coverage for the CLUB. Is this what our current "News" and club has become? The 21st Century "Dirt Biker"???
As for me, and Kevin brings up the subject of MULES, that is what carries me on my adventures. Surely NOT the cost of maintenance as my Mercedes or wanna be Bagger thoughts. Takes me to the high country that is just outside my door in a manner that brings adrenaline in a higher level than I ever got without a crash on my bikes. The best part. The exhaust and by-products grow fantastic veggies..........God bless this CLUB.......

Attachments

• 20170624_131359.jpg
    20170624_131359.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 199
The team event in Greer, SC was done to simulate what the three USA GS Trophy winners could possibly face in Mongolia in 2018. It is a team event with individual riders. This year's three winners are ages 29, 49 and 55. Don't hate, just enjoy the ride. The GS is the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles in my humble but correct opinion. There are even several sizes to choose from.

We - Voni and I - are seriously going to lay out the bucks to buy in to the GS frenzy. We have committed to buy two - yes two - brand new GS bikes ASAP.

G310GS bikes.

Then you can all laugh or cry with our success or failures as the case may be.

Last edited:
Actually I think the OP is dead on right about all the non sense hype concerning the GS. However, all the hype is bringing in $$ and that is what it is all about. Anyone who knows anything about motorcycles won't deny the GS is too big to do any serious "off road", unless you are 20 years old and a professional. I personally love the look of the GS and if I was a big girl I would probably ride one of the larger GS's, but I'm not so I'll stick to my F700GS. I also think that they are given way too much coverage, but again it is about what will sell. It doesn't matter if it makes good sense or not. Also the OP has every right to his opinion :thumb.

Part of it is the status of owning the bike, the image and what people believe they see themselves doing with the bike, which often isn't reality. It's taken to some extremes. The GS challenge has teams pushing bikes over obstacles rather than riding over them. I don't consider that riding or practical and it's the wrong bike for serious obstacles. If they enjoy it, more power to them.

The image sells. The 700/800's are better bikes for those tasks and if you check out advrider.com most folks prefer them. I own a R1200GS and I'm not interested in anything other than off the beaten path touring. For more technical riding I'd prefer a lighter bike. For now I'll ask my wife if I can borrow her G650GS.

I too want to keep making Adventure bikes dirt bikes, with the big bikes though you have to be careful, you can't take them out solo in questionable terrain, you need help lifting or moving these beasts if you get in trouble in heavy sand or mud. I have a 690R it's big, 300lbs, but I can still lift it and get myself out of trouble, not so on the Adventure bikes. Got my 1190R stuck, I was just taking it out to check a stretch of off road, thought I could make it through this sand section, sunk the 1190R and there was no way I could get it out solo, I knew better but Oh well, help was not far away only a 1/2 hr. Lesson learned yet again. Ok course I have railed the 690R through this section no trouble many times.

Is this what BMWMOA has become? IAN thinks and hopes so. For his hopes and dreams I truly appreciate his work.

I think you missed the whole point. These people could be riding tricycles, for all I care. Whatever it takes to persuade new blood to become a part of our community works for me!

Pretty much the same thing (in terms of building a community) that happens at adventure riding events can happen with sport bikes... or customs... or sport touring... it's just a matter of making an effort to do so.

Ian

No Bud.......Hardly missed the point, just thanking you for your work, outlook, and efforts of trying to point this Club in a direction that tries to keep us afloat. Your voice is one "Lantern In the Dark" that I wish was understood and actually acted upon. THANKS FOR WHAT YOU DO. Wouldn't it be grand if the editor of the CLUB, not the editor's Newsletter, had the vision for the CLUB that YOU and a few others do to try to keep this outfit growing........God bless this CLUB......Dennis

Articles about the other BMW motorcycles would be nice. There was one about a scooter ride a few issues ago that was enjoyable. I wrote an article that was published about riding 14,000 kms in a season and never getting more than 125 kms. from home. One doesn't need to do the big adventure thing to enjoy riding.

We - Voni and I - are seriously going to lay out the bucks to buy in to the GS frenzy. We have committed to buy two - yes two - brand new GS bikes ASAP.

G310GS bikes.

I am very interested in your results with the 310, because I know you will ride them a lot and honestly report your impressions and problems (if any)

I have one of the big GS and it is really too big and I just have not bonded with it like the old RS. Of course, that is partly because of the RS. There is just something about the RS.

Rod

As an R1200gs owner myself, I agree with the OP. Anyone who has spent much time riding “off road” understands that light weight, durability, and low repair costs are important considerations for a dirt bike, none of which describes the R1200gs very well. As a highway/smooth road bike the GS is fine. Off road, not so much.

True, some riders can make a big bike like the GS do amazing things for a while. Those riders could probably take a Goldwing down a dirt track and make it do amazing things as well. Talent and skill are important but not necessarily transferable. I'm pretty sure a week's worth of professional training wouldn't make me an R1200gs enduro rider any more than a week's training would prep me to be starting quarterback for an NFL team.

I'll stick to lighter bikes for off-road use and highly recommend the same for others.

G310GS bikes.

We look forward to seeing you both at the Nakusp Hot Springs Rally in August. Be prepared for tonnes (metric) of questions. :thumb

IMO there have been a wide variety of articles in the ON. I have read a multitude of touring and S1000 adventures. Lee Parks and the foundation have been very good for the ON.

I ride my GSA camhead throughout Colorado. I was just on a NF road today. The big plus of the GS is the ride getting to the National Forest in my opinion.
With some basic skills the GS can comfortably do a lot of the Jeep passes in CO. But the basic off road skills need to be present because it is a beast. Luckily I have had some good teachers.

I equate the big 1200GS to those massive trucks used in Rally racing.

What the ON needs is a decent balance over the months. Sure, some months it might not seem so. It needs good tech. I wrote for 20 years. Yes - 20 years. I am not seeing what I, and several others including Matt did for years and years. Now the new gurus who write on ADV, and this forum and every where else where it is not edited or peer reviewed, and other places need to step up to edited printed journalism. That is what I wrote in my swan song article. I am NOT seeing it. And we need more decent if not pro authors, and less ego from the editor, and a bunch more. I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.

Last edited:
What the ON needs is a decent balance over the months. Sure, some months it might not seem so. It needs good tech. I wrote for 20 years. Yes - 20 years. I am not seeing what I, an several others including Matt did for years and years. Now the new gurus who write on ADV, and this forum and every else where it is not edited or peer reviewed, and other places need to step up to edited printed journalism. That is what I wrote in my swan song article. I am NOT seeing it. And we need more decent if not pro authors, and less ego from the editor, and a bunch more. I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.

:thumb Amen brother Paul :)

The roads, hiways, interstates, back roads, city streets, all inclusive are all in bad shape. Between that and all the junk coming off cars, trucks, big rigs, that's laying in the road way, you really need a GS style just to ride the so-called 'improved' roads in this country. No, I don't own or ride a GS style bike. I need to get one though. :wow

Everyone's waiting on you to get one. :)

Back