• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW GS articles

I still like the ON. But diversity in what it contains never, ever hurts.

I believe I see quite a lot of diversity in the ON. Personally I am bored with the recounting of tours taken but I assume some members enjoy them. I mostly look for the technical and safety strategy articles.
The articles on product reviews are so predictable.
I am sure it is difficult to get properly edited articles to print from a group of motorcycle riders.

It's too early for those. Winter isn't here yet. I haven't even changed the summer air in my tires.

Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age. ;)

Last I knew, the GS(A) model had a lowered first gear. That would be a "must have" if I was to purchase a GS. I have been avoiding the dealers so I don't come home with a GSA.
No longer true. Gearing is identical. The GSA is 50 pounds heavier and 1 inch taller, and by far the more popular choice. I'm sure that was covered in a recent GS article. I still don't get it though. :dance

I am sure it is difficult to get properly edited articles to print from a group of motorcycle riders.

Actually, it is not that hard. All that's needed is a disciplined process to attract them and then process their work into final form. We don't have that, although I've outlined it to our leadership many times in the past.

I too have found the surplus of GS articles in the ON to be a bit disheartening, to say the least. But I have just let it go. Everyone seems to either own one, or want to own one, so I guess it keeps the company profitable, which is good. I don't see the need for one myself with several reasons being high cost, poor wind protection, very high seat, and poor passenger comfort. At this point I view riding a strictly road version BMW as a microcosm of riding BMWs in general: I am again in the minority. And I don't mind that. Maybe I'll get a K bike. Then I can be almost non-existent.

I too, will be interested in Paul and Voni's review of the G310 bike. I expect it to be a perfect machine for just about all uses. Small, lightweight, easy to handle, good gas mileage. Actually the opposite of a GSA. And it appears you can wear out three of them for the price of a GS.

Lastly, I was recently reading the article in a past issue of ON describing the guy who took his GS to Baja, hit some deep sand, and ended up with the GS on top of him, and a badly broken lower leg. I told my wife, " I wonder if that guy, as he lay there, and later in the hospital, was thinking, 'I wish I would have taken a little 250 Honda with soft bags on that trip'."

Small, lightweight, easy to handle, good gas mileage. Actually the opposite of a GSA.

My wethead GS is small, lightweight, and easy to handle for me, with my 36" inseam. It's nearly 100 lbs. lighter than my old RT. My indicated fuel economy from New York to Salt Lake City was an even 50.0 mpg (ack - Prius territory!)

Lastly, I was recently reading the article in a past issue of ON describing the guy who took his GS to Baja, hit some deep sand, and ended up with the GS on top of him, and a badly broken lower leg. I told my wife, " I wonder if that guy, as he lay there, and later in the hospital, was thinking, 'I wish I would have taken a little 250 Honda with soft bags on that trip'."

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90554-Baja-para-dos-Nine-day-adventure-in-Baja-Mexico

Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age. ;)

I'm a Luddite. I leave the bugs on the bike too, because they improve the aerodynamics on my GSA the same way dimples on a golf ball make it go further. That pig needs all the help it can get. :)

Nah, I recommend going straight to the F-bike. Then you won't be "almost" non-existent... you'll be totally non-existent.

Chris

You're right, Chris. Even I forgot that the lowly F bikes were the last sad downward rung on the BMW hierarchical order. Please, BMW Motorad, put them out of their misery!

Nah, I recommend going straight to the F-bike. Then you won't be "almost" non-existent... you'll be totally non-existent.

Chris

So does having an F bike and a K bike make me more or less existent :scratch Do the negatives cancel each other out, or do they multiply and become more negative. The F is a GS though, so that might be less non-existent than other non GS F bikes. But then My wife has an F bike, so does that affect me by association. :confused:

What the Owners News needs are people willing and able to write interesting articles about F bikes. Some F bike tech would be nice. A good F bike Riders Guide to New York City might be interesting. Maybe something about the Pacific Coast Highway by F800ST? The Owners News publishes from among the writings submitted. If they get lots of GS adventure stuff and little to no F bike stuff, guess what the publication looks like.

What the Owners News needs are people willing and able to write interesting articles about F bikes. Some F bike tech would be nice. A good F bike Riders Guide to New York City might be interesting. Maybe something about the Pacific Coast Highway by F800ST? The Owners News publishes from among the writings submitted. If they get lots of GS adventure stuff and little to no F bike stuff, guess what the publication looks like.

Are they looking for someone to go ride the new F850GS at a press launch. :dance I could certainly offer a good comparison having bought one of the first F800GS :thumb I'm not much of a writer though. I've considered a few tech articles but just can't seem to write something that is coherent and understandable. I'm more of a "show me" learner and teacher.

I don't want less GS, I just want more /2,5,6,7,S,RS,RT,ST, commuting, touring, customs, special projects, and any thing related, to BMW motorcycles and the good folks who own, ride or wrench on them. Did I leave anything or one out. If I did, just add it to the list. Thx. :wave

Well, I've had two "F"s, a GS and an ST. Both were nice bikes, and I didn't have any real complaints about either. The F650GS was a fabulous bike for a daily commuter. It was a blast to ride. The ST was a great bike for a single-person tourer. It was too short for two-up touring (I took up most of the seat space), and the panniers wouldn't come close to holding my stuff and my wife's stuff. Still, on solo trips, I went from Birmingham to: a: Iowa for the National Museum Swap meet & a nice loop through the great plains; b: numerous trips out to northern OK and back; and c: 1 trip out to Las Vegas (with a short trip over to CA, just to bag another state). After a numerous trips like these, I finally traded for a new RT-LC. Overcame all the minor shortcomings of the ST.

Nope, never thought about writing about any of my trips on the ST.

Back