Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW GS articles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Club President

Smile BMW GS articles

well I am fed up with articles about people believing the hype about what they can do with their GS. If you need a TEAM to go ride, you are the wrong guy in the wrong place on the wrong bike. Stop these stupid articles! I am never going to ride my GS off a clift. If I am going into the back country it will be on a dirt bike not some 800 lb pig. Best bike I have ever owned but I am not going to do that stuff and am tired of reading about the misled. Grow up.

Go like hell, You'll get there quicker
    05-GS Rock Red 101k miles
    2013 TW200

And every Harley rider is a badass, rugged individualist and "lone wolf."

The GS isn't a motocross bike. It's an "off the beaten path" touring bike to me. Hence the name "GS" or "Gelande Strasse" which means "country road." You can't change people's beliefs about themselves or their bikes.

Those who can, do. Those of us who cannot (mostly) enjoy reading about it.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I ride a Hex GSA as my touring and errand bike as it does everything well and makes me smile everytime I head out.
    I have toured on a K12S and still was drawn back to the GSA,though it is a slower pace...kinda.

I rode an RT a few years and decided it was too gentlemanly for me

We have pre- 80's boxers, S's, R's, GS's, K's and some Austrian Roadsters as it's what we do. I have learned my solo limits on the bigger GSA for the most part, but understand the draw to test machine and man...I just read about it and shake my head at times. Looking at the cover just made me chuckle as to how tired I would be after a long day of that particular style of riding. I have taken some serious backroads and have had to pick that big boy up on occasion. It's not what I live for.

My last get off was entering our shop a few weeks ago...I laid on floor and laughed for a few minutes after a day of riding.
    IMG_0638.JPG

The GS market is strong and so what some never see a non paved surface, others are making up for that.I'm somewhere in the middle.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Actually I think the OP is dead on right about all the non sense hype concerning the GS. However, all the hype is bringing in $$ and that is what it is all about. Anyone who knows anything about motorcycles won't deny the GS is too big to do any serious "off road", unless you are 20 years old and a professional. I personally love the look of the GS and if I was a big girl I would probably ride one of the larger GS's, but I'm not so I'll stick to my F700GS. I also think that they are given way too much coverage, but again it is about what will sell. It doesn't matter if it makes good sense or not. Also the OP has every right to his opinion .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Actually I think the OP is dead on right about all the non sense hype concerning the GS. However, all the hype is bringing in $$ and that is what it is all about. Anyone who knows anything about motorcycles won't deny the GS is too big to do any serious "off road", unless you are 20 years old and a professional. I personally love the look of the GS and if I was a big girl I would probably ride one of the larger GS's, but I'm not so I'll stick to my F700GS. I also think that they are given way too much coverage, but again it is about what will sell. It doesn't matter if it makes good sense or not. Also the OP has every right to his opinion .
    Part of it is the status of owning the bike, the image and what people believe they see themselves doing with the bike, which often isn't reality. It's taken to some extremes. The GS challenge has teams pushing bikes over obstacles rather than riding over them. I don't consider that riding or practical and it's the wrong bike for serious obstacles. If they enjoy it, more power to them.

The image sells. The 700/800's are better bikes for those tasks and if you check out advrider.com most folks prefer them. I own a R1200GS and I'm not interested in anything other than off the beaten path touring. For more technical riding I'd prefer a lighter bike. For now I'll ask my wife if I can borrow her G650GS.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MJTRUEL View Post
    well I am fed up with articles about people believing the hype about what they can do with their GS. If you need a TEAM to go ride, you are the wrong guy in the wrong place on the wrong bike. Stop these stupid articles! I am never going to ride my GS off a clift. If I am going into the back country it will be on a dirt bike not some 800 lb pig. Best bike I have ever owned but I am not going to do that stuff and am tired of reading about the misled. Grow up.
    Geez,there must be better things for you to get wrought up over. Say, oil/tires/battery threads.
    Last edited by BC1100S; 11-01-2017 at 01:18 AM.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    IMO, Hard core dirt riders really know that if you are really "in the dirt", lighter is better. The GS series are certainly better in any dirt than a K1300 It's all relative it would seem. I like the GS's as they can take the punishment of the the crappy asphalt, pot holes in stride.
    I actually think BMW has it right with the car ads-

The BMW X3 launched the mid-size Sports Activity Vehicle segment when it arrived on the scene in 2003. More than 1.5 million units of the X3 have since rolled off the assembly line and now the third-generation model is ready to take over the baton.
    "Sports Activity Vehicle". Sure, a Pinto could do it........but it's would still be a Pinto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWP8tx_6pM

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    IMO, Hard core dirt riders really know that if you are really "in the dirt", lighter is better. The GS series are certainly better in any dirt than a K1300 It's all relative it would seem. ...
    We traded a K1200S for a 2014 GS, took the GS to Colorado and did what a GS does, came home and traded back for a K1300S. I'm a hp junkie, but I get the GS thing. I don't get the GSA thing, but I get the GS thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CABNFVR View Post
    We traded a K1200S for a 2014 GS, took the GS to Colorado and did what a GS does, came home and traded back for a K1300S. I'm a hp junkie, but I get the GS thing. I don't get the GSA thing, but I get the GS thing.
    Last I knew, the GS(A) model had a lowered first gear. That would be a "must have" if I was to purchase a GS. I have been avoiding the dealers so I don't come home with a GSA.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Last I knew, the GS(A) model had a lowered first gear. That would be a "must have" if I was to purchase a GS. I have been avoiding the dealers so I don't come home with a GSA.
    No longer true. Gearing is identical. The GSA is 50 pounds heavier and 1 inch taller, and by far the more popular choice. I'm sure that was covered in a recent GS article. I still don't get it though.
    "Have BMW. Will Travel"

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Geez,there must be better things for you to get wrought up over. Say, oil/tires/battery threads.
    It's too early for those. Winter isn't here yet. I haven't even changed the summer air in my tires.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    It's too early for those. Winter isn't here yet. I haven't even changed the summer air in my tires.
    Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    Don't you mean summer nitrogen? Surely you are not so uninformed and foolish as to still be using plain old air in you tire in this modern age.
    Even though 'air' is 78% nitrogen anyhow...
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo