• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Amber to red rear turn signals

motorrod

I have a 2004 R1150RT that has amber turn signals on the rear. I installed a Kisen SM5 that can be set to have the rear turn signal lights on at all times to help with rear illumination. Problem is, in my jurisdiction, its illegal to have any rear lighting that isnt red. Short of painting the amber lenses, does anyone know what I might do with bulb colour or filters to get a red glow through an amber lens?

I installed Red LEDs in the rear turn signals of my RS. They glow red through the orange lens and are quite bright. They switch off when I use the turn signals due to the way I grounded them. In any case what you need to know is that RED will filter through the orange lens.

Last edited:
I have never been pulled over in any jurisdiction for having my lights always on due to my Kisen install. This year I frequently saw quite a few bikes with two sets of auxiliary lights operating. I am going to assume that they were not experiencing pull overs. Possibly lighting on motorcycles has become a non-issue.

Calling Greenwald to give his professional take on your dilemma.

I had the same thing on my '04 R1150RT and never had a problem with them. Only had one comment from the tech who did my motor vehicle inspection letting me know that like your jurisdiction, they are illegal in NS.

I told him that they are settable through the Kisan by using a sequence of inputs to the turn-signal and that I must have inadvertently set the rears to illuminate and would fix that when I got home and dug out the manual. YMMV

Amber/red rear lighting

Thanks for the insights. I think I'll try the red LED bulbs for behind the amber lens and see how that works. I like that feature of the Kisen as it brightens both ends of the bike - and I don't need the local constabulary stopping me for some infraction that I can avoid. They tend toward charges and away from warnings lately.

I have never been pulled over in any jurisdiction for having my lights always on due to my Kisen install. This year I frequently saw quite a few bikes with two sets of auxiliary lights operating. I am going to assume that they were not experiencing pull overs. Possibly lighting on motorcycles has become a non-issue.

Calling Greenwald to give his professional take on your dilemma.

Thanks Paul,
I'm interested to hear what he has to say. They routinely ignore the loud pipe cruiser crowd so I don't know why a little lighting infraction would bother anyone

Back