• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 RT now an oil leak! argh

rick601

First warranty issue was a bad cruise control switch, then a tech broke a tab on a side panel, now I noticed an oil leak from the left side head gasket...a few drops a day. I have an appointment for the panel this Thursday, but probably they won't have time to address the leak. As the closest dealer is over an hour away, and we are losing "season" this could be a pain to deal with. I'm hoping that maybe the bolts just aren't torqued correctly, but it's still a pain. My question?? I don't have any, just venting. I won't make any build quality complaints from my one anecdotal R1200RT, but I really expected better than this- from the techs and the marque. To be fair, the dealer has been good about fixing, but I had to point out the broken tab and I re-routed the wires from the aftermarket brake lights they installed- they had them in such a way that when the 2 faced tape fails (yes it did twice) the light would fall between the wheel and the case- fortunately, I noticed it before damage done the first time- re routed- and saved the light the second time- as it would have been ripped out if I hadn't re-routed. now the light is tied with some parachute cord. OH another panel has a bad grommet, which I noticed, and they had to order it! (no grommets in stock?)

I'm holding off mentioning the dealer for now, I'm not even sure if my bottom line is positive or negative!! I guess so far it's a wash- they deal with issues when pointed out, the purchase was pleasant enough, but they seem oblivious to poor workmanship. I do my own work on my other bikes, but the 3 year warranty on the BMW makes having them do maintenance seem advisable- especially with this leak and the ease with which tabs seem to break (I can break them as well as the next guy, that's why I haven't TOUCHED the panels!)

First warranty issue was a bad cruise control switch, then a tech broke a tab on a side panel, now I noticed an oil leak from the left side head gasket...a few drops a day. I have an appointment for the panel this Thursday, but probably they won't have time to address the leak. As the closest dealer is over an hour away, and we are losing "season" this could be a pain to deal with. I'm hoping that maybe the bolts just aren't torqued correctly, but it's still a pain. My question?? I don't have any, just venting. I won't make any build quality complaints from my one anecdotal R1200RT, but I really expected better than this- from the techs and the marque. To be fair, the dealer has been good about fixing, but I had to point out the broken tab and I re-routed the wires from the aftermarket brake lights they installed- they had them in such a way that when the 2 faced tape fails (yes it did twice) the light would fall between the wheel and the case- fortunately, I noticed it before damage done the first time- re routed- and saved the light the second time- as it would have been ripped out if I hadn't re-routed. now the light is tied with some parachute cord. OH another panel has a bad grommet, which I noticed, and they had to order it! (no grommets in stock?)

I'm holding off mentioning the dealer for now, I'm not even sure if my bottom line is positive or negative!! I guess so far it's a wash- they deal with issues when pointed out, the purchase was pleasant enough, but they seem oblivious to poor workmanship. I do my own work on my other bikes, but the 3 year warranty on the BMW makes having them do maintenance seem advisable- especially with this leak and the ease with which tabs seem to break (I can break them as well as the next guy, that's why I haven't TOUCHED the panels!)
Wow...that sucks...I hope these are the only problems you'll have.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I noticed an oil leak from the left side head gasket...a few drops a day. I have an appointment for the panel this Thursday, but probably they won't have time to address the leak.

If you're talking about the valve cover gasket, it only takes a few minutes to remove the cover, wipe off the gasket and reinstall.

guys...thanks. I only have around 7K on it so they didn't do the 12K yet. AND make no mistake, I love the bike, it's been a dream to ride. The other issue with the dealer is...........................I can't stop buying "stuff" everytime I go LOL

The bolts are torqued to 10 Nm. So you can have at that and see if it helps.

If they did a 12K service they usually nail you for new gaskets at 140 bucks. Check your invoice and see if they did.
Thanks, will do. as mentioned above, only recently did the 6K. Got the '16 at the beginning of this season.

Rick
Be very glad you don’t have a radial engine airplane, everything leaks
I feel your pain though, i’ve Had to quit visiting my dealer, always something new I can’t live without!!
Whatever you do don’t go to one of the motorcycle shows, it is always costly😎
Back to your leak, not uncommon, check torque on valve cover,look carefully at oil filter as that gasket has been known to leak. worst case remove the plug wire and valve cover, clean and reinstall with a little grease on gasket.

Could well be that the gasket is not seated properly. Happened to me. Easy to remove the cover, and re-seat it.

Rick's first sentence says HEAD gasket, not "valve cover" gasket... two very different items with very different fixes.

Perhaps a little clarification from Rick would be in order.

Rick's first sentence says HEAD gasket, not "valve cover" gasket... two very different items with very different fixes.

Perhaps a little clarification from Rick would be in order.

I was also wondering if it's a head gasket of valve cover gasket that's leaking.

Hopefully, it is just a valve-cover gasket leak.

There have been a few R1200 LC heads that have warped very early in their service life and have been warranty repairs. I know f one R1200RS and have heard of a couple more. Doesn't appear to be a significant incidence (in terms of overall #'s - definitely significant for anyone it happens to), but thought you should know. If it is the head gasket, then call the dealership and ask them if it is okay to ride it there or if BMW will have it picked up. You can never be too careful when dealing with a potential warranty claim, make sure you keep the dealership informed of everything in advance and follow their directions - that removes you from responsibility as much as possible.

clarification! VC gasket

Hopefully, it is just a valve-cover gasket leak.

There have been a few R1200 LC heads that have warped very early in their service life and have been warranty repairs. I know f one R1200RS and have heard of a couple more. Doesn't appear to be a significant incidence (in terms of overall #'s - definitely significant for anyone it happens to), but thought you should know. If it is the head gasket, then call the dealership and ask them if it is okay to ride it there or if BMW will have it picked up. You can never be too careful when dealing with a potential warranty claim, make sure you keep the dealership informed of everything in advance and follow their directions - that removes you from responsibility as much as possible.

close look...bottom of valve cover appears to be from the gasket. I would LOVE to do it myself, really, but as I'm going to the dealer Thursday anyway and the leak is slow enough AND (most importantly) dealer said OK to ride it in, and they know I'm an hour plus away. My only reason not to get into it is that I want to keep the warrenty safe for anything down the road. Dealer has been good about claims, so I don't anticipate any issues. The oil level is good, and I'll stop several times to make sure (sight glass as well as monitor read out). After all the useful help herer, I really am sorry not to do it myself- I intend to have this bike a long time, so down the road I'm sure I'll get my wish...and then some!

close look...bottom of valve cover appears to be from the gasket. I would LOVE to do it myself, really, but as I'm going to the dealer Thursday anyway and the leak is slow enough AND (most importantly) dealer said OK to ride it in, and they know I'm an hour plus away. My only reason not to get into it is that I want to keep the warrenty safe for anything down the road. Dealer has been good about claims, so I don't anticipate any issues. The oil level is good, and I'll stop several times to make sure (sight glass as well as monitor read out). After all the useful help herer, I really am sorry not to do it myself- I intend to have this bike a long time, so down the road I'm sure I'll get my wish...and then some!

No need to apologize for not doing it yourself; I do almost no maintenance on mine. Just wanted to point out that, if it's simply a mis-aligned valve cover gasket, it's a very quick -- and easy -- fix (especially for a dealer).

Good to hear it's just the valve cover gasket and it should be a quick fix at the dealer.

+1

Valve cover gasket is the "best" thing that it could be, although the other possibility is very rare, glad to hear it is the gasket.

If you're like me the RTW is as others have said, the best and most versatile pavement bike I've ridden. It just does most everything I want in the manner that I like. Some don't like the engine sounds/vibrations or the gearbox sounds/feel, etc., but to me those are actually endearing qualities. I've owned and ridden quite a few bikes and a Boxer RTW (or it's offspring) will likely be with me as long as I'm riding.

Good luck with the dealer, nice to hear you've got a good relationship. Happy and safe riding.

Rick
Be very glad you don’t have a radial engine airplane, everything leaks
I feel your pain though, i’ve Had to quit visiting my dealer, always something new I can’t live without!!
Whatever you do don’t go to one of the motorcycle shows, it is always costly😎
Back to your leak, not uncommon, check torque on valve cover,look carefully at oil filter as that gasket has been known to leak. worst case remove the plug wire and valve cover, clean and reinstall with a little grease on gasket.

If it's not leaking, it's not running!

fixed- they replaced the Valve cover gasket. Don't tell the dealer, but as suggested I checked the torque- it was good. Re=- side cover, they somehow ordered the wrong side so I get to go back and buy MORE stuff! Today I got a heated jacket- first gear, BTW, Just cause in my OP I stated that the tech broke the tab on the side panel, service manager said they weren't so sure he did, but rather that he noticed it was broken...(probably assumed I broke it, when I said I didn't they warranted it) Anyway, 165 miles on November 2 upstate NY ain't bad, rain there, sunny ride home!!

165 miles on November 2 upstate NY ain't bad, rain there, sunny ride home!!

I had a 360 mile round trip to the Kansas City dealer today with my wife's R1200RS. 40s, fog, and drizzle headed to the shop. Leaving the shop was dry and mid 50s. Arrived home dry in the upper 40s.
Plan to do the same tomorrow with my RS.

Sunny and 20C (68F) here on the 2nd., so the bike was out and the riding was great. Nova Scotia is having an absolutely great fall so far with plenty of bikes still out.

Temperature has fallen to 50F yesterday, today and tomorrow, but they're predicting 65F for Monday, so who knows. Ride 'em while the riding is good.

guys...thanks. I only have around 7K on it so they didn't do the 12K yet. AND make no mistake, I love the bike, it's been a dream to ride. The other issue with the dealer is...........................I can't stop buying "stuff" everytime I go LOL

If your bike has only 7,000 miles on it that makes it a warranty issue and it's up to the dealer to make it right , don't be shy about asking it to be fixed.

Back