Thread: bike goes black

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

bike goes black

Need some advice- 2011 R1200Rt - had a great ride, parked the bike - all was good. Came out the next morning to start the bike and the following happened: turned the key and everything lit up and self tested. As soon as I hit the start button, heard what sounded like 2 solenoid clicks and the entire bike went black. Let it sit a while - turned on the key, hit the start button....same thing...back to black. Put the bike on the charger in case the 6 mo old battery had somehow gone bad. 24 hours later tried it again...everything lit up. Hit the starter - went black......

any ideas? thanks
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

You have a sealed battery and you just broke one of the connectors between the cells. With minimal load the battery shows OK voltage but as soon as you impose the starter load you have nothing.

As soon as you replace the useless battery with a new one everything will be just fine.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Could also be a loose battery connection but thatís easy enough to spot.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You have a sealed battery and you just broke one of the connectors between the cells. With minimal load the battery shows OK voltage but as soon as you impose the starter load you have nothing.

As soon as you replace the useless battery with a new one everything will be just fine.
    I had the same thing happen on my Ď11 GSA. Pushed the starter and heard a pop then black! 1 year old name brand...it happens!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA
    2009 BMW G650 GS