Thread: 1984 BMW R80RT Starter Removal Help

1984 BMW R80RT Starter Removal Help

I am going to pull the starter out of my bike and have it sent off for a little tune up this winter. I was looking at it this weekend and for the life of I cant figure out how I am going to remove the bolt on left rear side of starter toward the airbox??? I can get a socket (13MM it think) and a close end wrench on it but now way I can get socket handle or any type of adaptor in there or even turn the closed end wrench. The Clymers manual I have is pretty vague when it comes to removing that bold. The bolts on front of starter on crankcase over seem pretty straight forward.

What am I missing? Thanks for the help!!

Maybe a long extension and a universal adapter with the U-adapter on the socket end of the set-up. I have several variations of the tool including a metric socket set with the U-adapters on each socket. That is what I would use to go after those starter bolts.105_3436.jpg
    1973 R75/5

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your first post...this problem faces people from time to time.

I encountered the same thing and used something like what James suggests. I also believe I ended up using a 1/4" drive set which are slightly smaller and allowed more flexibility. I believe when reinstalling, you can reverse the bolt so it's easier to get to the nut next time.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Hmmm that may be an option, the socket I was using was for a 1/2 drive. I have a 1/4 handle with a U adaptor, I will get the right size socket and go after it. I thought removing the airbox may be an option but the metal casting from the transmission is blocking the access that I was hoping for.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by grosseile88 View Post
    Hmmm that may be an option, the socket I was using was for a 1/2 drive. I have a 1/4 handle with a U adaptor, I will get the right size socket and go after it. I thought removing the airbox may be an option but the metal casting from the transmission is blocking the access that I was hoping for.

Thanks!!
    Not knowing how much work you do on your motorcycle I did hesitate to post this but decided, Oh what the heck!

For working on BMW motorcycles I have found a 3/8 inch drive socket set with appropriate handles and extensions to be the optimal size. I do have 1/2' sockets and 1/4 inch sockets too. I use the 3/8' stuff 90% of the time, the 1/2" set one or two percent of the time, and the little 1/4" sets the rest of the time. I have never used my 3/4" drive tools on a BMW motorcycle but there were a couple of times I wanted to use the three foot long ratchet.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

If memory serves the nut is 13mm. I usually put the socket over the nut. There should be a hole at the rear end of the aluminum casting box. I then slip an socket extension through the hole and connect it to the socket on the nut. After that it's just a matter of using the ratchet and removing the nut. Installation is simply the reverse.