• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

CA -> Baja -> La Paz Ferry -> Mazatlan -> Guadalajara -> Back to Cali

concept27

That's What She Said
Hello fellow Bavarian riders who don't salute other riders :):wave. Planning a motorcycle ride before it gets too cold, so within the next 30 days or so, from California to Guadalajara, actually about 70 miles north of it, visiting a buddy for couple of days and back to California. This is my first ride in Mexico and I'm soaking up all the do's and don'ts. As of today, the fear of riding in MX has subsided substantially and I am actually pretty stoked about the ride. Doing this on a 2007 K1200GT so if you think the route I've selected is not adequate for this bike, please share your thoughts. Ideally, I wanted to ride with at least one other person. Of course, the more the merrier. Hoping to be able to find riding buddies who will accompany me fully or partially on this ride.

I'd like to enter from Tijuana or Mexicali, ride down Baja California to La Paz. Take the ferry to Mazatlan, then ride to Guadalajara and final destination, Nochistlan de Mejia. Preferably the same routes back, just to avoid riding too long in mainland Mexico. Not sure if this concern is even valid so definitely open to suggestions.:scratch

Please post comments or PM me with any questions or suggestions. Thank you in advance.:):):)

Last edited:
What a cool plan! Do share your pictures when you get back.

Safe travels!

Voni
sMiling

My experience is limited to the portion of your route from Mexicali through San Felipe and then south to Guerrero Negro. There are some rough pot-holed sections of the Hwy 5 south of San Felipe:

Also be prepared for some dirt road sections of Hwy 5 south of Cocos Corner. My wife and I where there this last spring and had to ride about 10-15 miles of dirt road while construction was being done. We were on 650GSs with 50/50 tires:

Cocos is an experience that should not be missed. Don't have high expectations and just enjoy it for what it is.

I recommend Baja Cactus Hotel in El Rosario:

TerraSal Hotel was also a pleasant stay in Guerrero Negro:

Sounds like an epic trip. Enjoy Mexico!

Military check points - we went through about 5-6 of them throughout Baja Norte. With the exception of 1 we were just waved through - no questions. The one check-point where we were stopped the guard just wanted to know what our destination was. It helped to have a map holder on our tank bag to show him with our poor Spanish.

Federal Police or "Federales" (informal) also seemed to look our for us. There was one moment that is worth sharing... As we were approaching an intersection on our bikes there was one of the Federal Police trucks (navy blue truck with machine gunner in the bed) on the side of the road. They were motioning us to continue along through the intersection but I thought they wanted me to approach the vehicle. I could see by his body language that he didn't want me to stop so I tried to play it cool and asked "Gasolina, por favor?" He pointed to the Pemex station just 100 yards away and off we went with a "gracias." As we approached the pump the Federal Police vehicle followed us and then shadowed us while we filled our tanks. It was a bit intimidating but I honestly think they were looking out for us. We rode down the road to a restaurant and they stayed at the gas station. No problema.

Another idea: We did carry a "throw away" wallet with a tiny bit of cash, some old credit cards, and an outdated ID just in-case. Never needed it.

Mexico does have it's risks for sure but the rewards far outweigh them. Enjoy!

FYI, I just completed a ride report of mostly North Baja titled "Baja para dos - Nine-day adventure in Baja Mexico". Perhaps it might have some more info that you are looking for. The first post lists much of what we did to prepare for the trip.

Travisgil's advice was spot on

I went down to Mulege, Baja California Sur in late Oct. Went Via Mexico 1 from San Diego. Baja California Norte's roads were ****ty potholed and lots of traffic until you get south of the agricultural area (around Aqua Leon or so). After Aqua Leon the road is still ****ty and potholed but at least you don't have to deal with much in the way of traffic.

The Baja Cactus Hotel in Rosarito is a delightful oasis, don't miss it and @ $40 a night a real bargain. Once you get past Guerrero Negro the road surface gets better but not great. I highly recommend stopping in Laguna San Ignacio a palm oasis in the middle of the Baja peninsula. Mexico 1 is much better in Baja Cali Sur, maybe because of tourist dollars? Still last spring brought some torrential downpours and there are still a few places where the road got completely washed away.

Just south of Mulege are some great beaches to camp on the shores of the Bahia De Concepcion. Absolutely beautiful. Stop in a Juan Carlos's place on the Hwy near Playa El Coyote for the oysters, he raises them and they are incredible.

If you have a GS I highly recommend a side trip to Punta Chivato, amazing sea shells everywhere. about 15 clicks down a good sand road east of Hwy 1, 15 clicks north of Mulege.

The road from Mulege to Loreto was in good shape and has some nice passes with great views of the Bahia.

Ridgetopboy
2004 R1100S

Back