• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Inspiration for you young whipper snappers!

First K1600B sold out of our local small dealership in Nor Cal to this fellow who I ran into in the parking lot as he was getting ready to depart after picking up his Bagger after its 600mi service. I only saw him w/ helmet on but could tell he was my senior. He said he loved the bike already--he traded in his K1600GT, the bike he took to last year's California Superbike School at Thunderhill Raceway on. I asked him if he minded telling me how old he is and his reply was 'I'll be 88 in a week...'

fullsizeoutput_2a2.jpg

Thanks. I ride every now and then with some octogenarians and you are right, they give one hope and inspiration.

Last edited:
First K1600B sold out of our local small dealership in Nor Cal to this fellow who I ran into in the parking lot as he was getting ready to depart after picking up his Bagger after its 600mi service. I only saw him w/ helmet on but could tell he was my senior. He said he loved the bike already--he traded in his K1600GT, the bike he took to last year's California Superbike School at Thunderhill Raceway on. I asked him if he minded telling me how old he is and his reply was 'I'll be 88 in a week...'

View attachment 64751

That is pretty cool. The young are too lazy to ride a m/c like some of us do. Good for this guy, and I hope he is still able to ride for years to come.

That bike is sooo cool. It's gonna bring back a lot of folks to BMW riding. It's not some praying mantis nor some wanna be get out and mess up the forest thing..........Anyway, the guy is just one of many that needs a salute; but just keeps on moving along.......God bless the OCTO's.........

"The young are too lazy to ride a m/c like some of us do."

Or perhaps they just choose not to ?

Perhaps because it is much harder to text, snapchat, facebook and drive one?

Some have apparently mastered it. Two summers back while NB on I75 (cant remember if it was in Ohio or Kentucky) I was passed by a future organ donor doing just that. Twenty something using a smartphone riding a crotch rocket wearing a ball hat backwards, tank top and sunglasses.

Awesome that he’s getting out and getting it done. I can only hope I’m still riding and looking forward to the next bike at that age! :thumb

Interesting that in a thread celebrating an 88yr-old rider that so many “get off my lawn” commenters have jumped in. :gerg Perhaps if we want to see millennials get into riding and hopefully become life-long riders we should...take one for a ride or two? :bikes

Best,
DG

If a person were to stop by Camp Gears for a little while at a National Rally his or her viewpoint about today's youth might be improved. Many of these young people are downright inspiring.

Several years ago I was riding in Spain with a guy who was 82. He out rode us all. (I'm 71 and still riding.)

Over in FJR world a highly regarded inmate died recently in a motorcyle accident. He was 78 at the time of his death and those that were with him believe he had some sort of medical event that caused the accident; no autopsy was conducted so we'll never know. Petey, as he was called, was known as a rider of great ability. I met him only once at a gathering in Red lodge a few years ago. Although he was a long time FJR rider and attended just about every gathering he had switched to a R1200RS. Petey was a German immigrant and was proud of his heritage. I had not seen much of the RS at that point and was eye-balling his bike. I noticed that not only were there no chicken strips on his rear tire, the rubber on the extreme edges of the tire was scuffed and rolled into balls like tires I've seen on road racing bikes. Petey stopped and spoke to me about his bike and he was as easy going and engaging as imaginable. I hope to live to a ripe old age and stay active until the end, but I can think of far worse ways to live out my final days and to die than the way Petey did.

An older brother died while riding his moto in Nicaragua. He came to a stop at an intersection and passed out from an intracranial hemorrhage so he and the bike dropped in tandem. He died right then and there or so the report stated as he was by himself. As good a way to go as any, better than most.

Back