• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Man's best friend- dog rider methodology

1973r75

Goede Morgen!
Anyone have photos of how to address bringing Fido along? Tank bag or rear box.
I have a 96 R1100RT with side bags and only a rear mount. Petey hops on the bike when I let him in the garage, wants to ride!

Attachments

• petey krypto.jpg
    petey krypto.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 314
When I had my '73 R75/5, I used several C-clamps to hold a milk crate on to the luggage rack. I put a thin piece of wood with dense foam padding in the bottom, to close off the holes and give him some grip. Bear loved it, until he got too big for it (mom was half German Shepard and half Huskie, dad was a Dobie who jumped the fence).

Addendum - We used to have a guy show up at the Rock Store with his Huskie perched on the gas tank. He put a layer of carpet on the tank so the dog would have a grip. Beautiful dog and very smart. The local cops gave him a couple of tickets for "unsafe operation" or "endangering an animal", but my understanding is that he beat them every time.

Last edited:
Modified tank bag with Heat as well.
This is our little guy who has be navigating for 4 years.
Our last little girl rode with us for 13 years.

A buddy of mine carried his Jack Russel in a milk crate behind the rear seat.

Attachments

• DSC02043.jpg
    DSC02043.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC01985.jpg
    DSC01985.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 239
thanks!

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think a sturdy crate attached to the mount will do nicely. Petey is a little too big to go fore, so aft it is!

Dogs ride too

I bought a bike with a Bagster tank cover, while looking for a tank bag to attach to it, came across a pet carrier that fits like a tang bag. Works better than a modified tank bag because it has vented mesh holes that can be covered so your dog can breathe, plus a little hole where they can poke their head out and navigate. You have to buy the Bagster tank cover then the pet carrier, so it’s a bit of an investment. But I much prefer it to the pet carriers I saw that mount on the rear, I can’t keep an eye on my Girl while riding, and when she’s in front of me I can pet her and talk to her.

https://www.motolegends.com/bagster/bagster-tank-covers

I just tried this one out but the tank attachment didnt’ work without taking apart the whole front of my R1200RT. But if your dog is small enough, I’d say up to 12 lbs, they’ll fit in it. I like this one better, it doesn’t interfere in the least with serious slow turns, which my Bagster one certainly does, it’s pretty big.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OYIBZU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thanks!

Petey weighed in at 37, but I agree that up front would be ideal for petting and keeping an eye on him.

Back