• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New 1600GT - What did you add?

wkuwiz

Hello.
Just picked up a new 2016 K1600GT last weekend. Found a white model at a dealer not too far away and the price was right. Felt a little guilt that I didn't buy locally but it's done. And it matches my wife's White R1200RT.

Considering a few additions but thought I'd ask the board about what others have done first. Got to get a Shad Top Case. But other items?
Stebel Horn?
Illum Works protection?
More lights? Hyper Lights?
Let me hear from you.
CW

Hello.
Just picked up a new 2016 K1600GT last weekend. Found a white model at a dealer not too far away and the price was right. Felt a little guilt that I didn't buy locally but it's done. And it matches my wife's White R1200RT.

Considering a few additions but thought I'd ask the board about what others have done first. Got to get a Shad Top Case. But other items?
Stebel Horn?
Illum Works protection?
Let me hear from you.
CW

Waterproof USB outlet - easily added on the right panel above the 12v socket. Maybe also a PDM60 or similar so you can power a tyre pump, since CANBUS trips out the standard 12v outlets at pointlessly low currents. That will also be a good first move if you’re planning any other electric gizmos such as horns and lights.
Shame you won’t be able to fit a better radiator that doesn’t clog up!

PDM for sure.
Horn, definitely
Clearwater or similar front lights. Stock is not enough for visibility
Hyper, Skene flashing etc for rear.
Better seat will most likely be obvious soon as well.

You're off to a good start.
The first thing I did was getting a Sargent seat...the OEM just doesn't cut it for me.

Regarding your other items:
Stebel Horn...yes. But its a pain to install.
Illium Works protection...There are others out there that offer better protection. I have Wunderlich.
Also, IMHO, getting the fronts without the rear is a waste of money. In a tip-over, the rear bag will crush. Cheap insurance.
More lights...some have found adding lights beneficial. I do very little night riding so not a big deal for me. But if you add lights; consider the Clearwater (or equiv) mounted at the mirrors.
Hyper Lights...I installed the Vizi-tech unit.
RKA just introduced a very nice rear bag.

Other things I added were:

RCU Shelf...very handy.
Pigtail for winter charging/electric vest/tire pump....etc.
RKA inner bags...great for organizing.
Enlarged brake lever foot pad.
Footpeg lowering kit. I got long legs
OEM Tankbag.
Cee Baily windscreen.
K&N Air filter.

Have fun!

Joe

Waterproof USB outlet - easily added on the right panel above the 12v socket. Maybe also a PDM60 or similar so you can power a tyre pump, since CANBUS trips out the standard 12v outlets at pointlessly low currents. That will also be a good first move if you’re planning any other electric gizmos such as horns and lights.

What's a PDM60? Is it like a "can opener"?

Power Distribution Module - see pdm60.com for details. Probably easiest understood by looking under Installation for the quick start guide.

Short antenna, dump the dorky 1600 and RT antenna
Illum bars
Skene P3 lights
Kit to make front blinkers running lights
RL Lemke drain plug
Additional power let outlet direct wired to battery for heated gear/charging
Kathy’s bags for both bikes

Added Items so far

Okay. Got the bike and added:
1). Denali Sound Bomb
2). Wunderlich Front and Rear bars
3). Shad Top Case
4). Nav VI
5). Hyperlights for rear.
6). Installing 3M film protection as soon as it gets here...

Under consideration - Hex EZCAN and ADM Monster 44's on the bars, RKA 13L Tank Bag with pigtail installed. Any other bright ideas? Cold winter!
Love to see and learn from all you people.

Yes - to stand out....

Are we becoming just like Harley riders, adding accessories?

Yes - we are like many amongst the Western Civilization looking to make ourselves unique amongst the masses.
It's a failing quest to be unique but added horn volume and more, brighter lights are a choice I like.

Cheers Paul. I still don't have a doo-rag nor do I call my wife old lady; oh, she's not a pillion either. She's a rider like Voni!

IMG_3147.jpg

Okay. Got the bike and added:
1). Denali Sound Bomb
2). Wunderlich Front and Rear bars
3). Shad Top Case
4). Nav VI
5). Hyperlights for rear.
6). Installing 3M film protection as soon as it gets here...

Under consideration - Hex EZCAN and ADM Monster 44's on the bars, RKA 13L Tank Bag with pigtail installed. Any other bright ideas? Cold winter!
Love to see and learn from all you people.

Update! Started on the 3M Film - been too cold for anything not brought inside.
Added the HexEZCan (so wonderfully simple and programmed for conspicuity) and a pair of ADVMonster Model 30 spots. I'll take photos at dusk and post them in the lighting forum to demonstrate. Also love the RKA Tank bag. Hard-wired a dual USB up into the bag for rainproof charging on the go or when stopped for lunch.
Had my first bout of A fib which has set me back for a couple months but am eager to ride again.
Cheers!

Clearwater lights and CANopener
Sidestand foot enlarger.

Beyond that, just a larger windshield for when my wife is riding pillion. Oh, and a top box for the same reason.

Hello.

Stebel Horn?
Illum Works protection?
Let me hear from you.
CW

Windshield from 7jurock,Sargent seat,Alt engine guards w road pegs....Most important is EXTENDED warranty because the 6 cyl engine has a piston cracking problem and has had this problem since 2012 ...BMW as usual has ignored this problem just like most major problems they have had in the past... its so bad they can't provide replacement pistons for the repair...My 2013 is in the shop at Orlando and has been there for two weeks and there are no parts anywhere to fix it....BMW has been no help according to the service Mgr. on this problem and they have had 4-5 of these ...so I have spent most of my savings to buy a turd...No loaner,no bike to ride,no parts to fix it....Bashing BMW you bet I am....sorry but I'm telling you guys to prepare for this problem!!!!!

Added Items

Greetings all! I'm new on here but have had BMW's for 22+ years. I just picked up a 2018 K1600 GTL Ebony on Thursday. LOVE the ride compared to my 2003 LT, but . . . . WHY did BMW make the darn cases smaller! I'm also puzzled why they sell a bike in the USA with a GERMAN USB port that we have to buy an adapter for . . . And the phone compartment doesn't hold my Android phone at all! It will be in my jacket pocket or in the top case on a charger as soon as I add the outlet.

I've added a MoDoor garage door opener after reading about them on here - pic attached. On the MoDoor, it is fastened to the black plastic box near the battery area and I put a piece of black Gorilla tape over the logo so it blends in with the bike. The buttons are very easy to reach and inconspicuous.

I also installed the Brake Buddy air compressor that I had under the top case on my LT. it is VERY neatly mounted and the hose is readily accessible. All I have to do is open the seat and hit the switch, which I may mount permanently some say when I am in the mood to cut plastic . . .

I added HyperWhites on the shelf under the headlight and they work wonderfully! I have the high brake light but want to get a modulator on it soon so I'm still reading on those. I also added outlets for Gerbings plugged in directly for rider and pillion and of course, the dealer puts pigtails on all of their sold bikes. Gee, just had to buy a new charger because the pigtail has SAE connector and my existing good charger just had clamps. Oh well. I've got the Ilium bars and footpegs. Would love some pics of back bars on a GTL is someone has any.

I have the extended warranty and still need to look for a good seat with backrest. Suggestions? I've heard that Sargent makes a good seat but they are known to be quite firm. The choices will be between Sargent, RDL or Bill Mayer - Rick did my last seat.

I'll be on here reading as well as our riding!!!

Dave Norton
Sedona, AZBrake Buddy Compressor.jpgMo Door Opener.jpg

Welcome to the forum and K1600 ownership.
Lots of good info here as well as the K1600forum.com

Joe

USB Outlets & Seat

WHY add USB outlets that have to be waterproof and out in the elements??? I added 2 in the trunk for keeping power on the phone while using it in BT mode for the helmet communications (Schuberth R1 and Sena SC1). Just get a Battery Tender pigtail, wire it to the battery and poke a wire through the grommet on the lower right side of the top case and then attach one or two SAE connectors and then just plug on a Battery Tender (or other brand) USB port. Total cost is less than $20 and you never have to worry about the elements. I already have a battery charger pigtail supplied by the dealer on all bikes they sell so when I have the bike connected to it, I lay the helmet in the open top case and connect it to the USB and charge it at the same time. I leave the helmet USB cord connected to the bike in the top case and use the other USB outlet for my phone charger cord but if I only had one port there, I'd just disconnect the helmet when I'm ready to ride and plug in the phone.

Still looking for a good seat and high brake light modulator. I've read up on both and think I'm going to buy a VizTech modulator but still looking for that comfy seat with backrest . . . . Dave

+1 on the Vizi-Tec. Easy to install...plug and play.
I've always had good luck with Sargent seats on all my BMW's.
There is an adjustment on the bike to raise it a bit.

Joe

My choice of an outlet on the fairing means that I have power conveniently placed for gadgets in the tank bag, mounted on the bars, or elsewhere in the cockpit. The outlet is also usable when the trunk/top-box has been removed, or isn't fitted at all (they are an option in some countries).Waterproof USB outlets are pretty cheap these days.

Power in the trunk (or top-box), such as you have done, is another good option.

Having both gives the ultimate flexibility!

So, I just got a used K1600 GT and am also looking at accessories. Here's what I have on my list, reinforced after a couple hundred miles today.
Replace OE screen with a sport screen.
My current favorite tank bag won't work due to Givi not seeming to have a tank ring that works with the tank lock tank bags (if someone knows better, then I'd like to know?)
Having just ordered a Mosko Nomad tank bag for my GS I was interested to see how it might work on the GT. It's narrow enough to only touch the bars when they are almost on full lock, and that never really happens unless I'm walking the bike around, but the straps were a bit too fussy for my liking. I decided to cut them up a bit and putting holes in the straps then using the tank cover bolts to hold them in place with the plastic clips then doing the same at the front of the seat for the two lower straps. It still needs a little bit of finessing but essentially it's only four clips to completely remove it, and two clips to fill up the tank.
So far nothing else to report...

Additions

I bought a 2018 GT this past November and have so far added, VStream windshield. Wired headset 3.5MM audio jack. Touratech tank and rear seat bag as I like to ride locally without the panniers. Oil cooler cover screen and a rider Wunderlich Ergo heated seat. I think it's ready for the upcoming season.

Back