• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hunting Local Covered Bridges

ricochetrider

Out There Somewhere
I live in good ol Pennsyltuckey, and there are a great number of covered bridges to be found in this wonderful motorcycling state. Some counties have more than others, but nearby Perry County has 14, several of which are along the upper stretch of Shermans Creek. I recently spent some days looking for these bridges, and eventually made my way to all but one- which is located in Little Buffalo State Park, and cannot be. accessed except by walking to get to it.
Mostly I rode my R100RS, but did see some while out on my K1200RS.

p2544650979-2.jpg

p2552684969-2.jpg

Attachments

• p2508431223-2.jpg
    p2508431223-2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 143
A couple more pix:

p2552684915-2.jpg

p2552682266-2.jpg

p2544651728-2.jpg

The rest of the photos may be viewed by following the link below, if you so desire. One other note, some of these bridges are reproductions. Apparently, there has been some preservation money for these bridges over the years. One bridge, the Dellville Bridge, was badly burned some time ago by arsonists. It did not burn all the way to the ground. It is currently being worked on, tho I have yet to go past when a crew was on site.

http://ricochetridersmotomojo.zenfolio.com/p127140141

There's a few over in Indiana county along Tanoma Rd and over by 5 Points. Some are closed to traffic, but foot traffic allowed.

If you attend the 2018 Rally in Des Moines you will be able to go just a little bit south and find a number of covered bridges. Most are on gravel roads. You will, of course, by then, be in Madison County.

Covered bridges

Park county in Indiana has 27 covered bridges the covered bridge festival ended last weekend. East of Chester, Illinois on Illinois route 150 covered bridge over st Mary's river,west of Champaign, Illinois at lake of the woods park covered bridge over sangmon river ( take US 150 to get in the neighborhood )
Sorry about lack of pictures if it warms up may take a day trip or two and snap some pictures.

Nice pix! Nice bikes!

The Forksville Bridge, near Worlds End SP, is in daily use (only way to the main road from one end of Forksville). It has the plus of having the Forksville General Store with killer South Philly cheese steaks with real Amaroso rolls. Mike, the owner, is a South Philly guy who made the mistake of staying in Forksville a day too long. Saturday night, Mike and a band play a show in the dining room. Reservations are required. As of early October, he was booked into December(!).

Eastern Ohio

Took this photo on September 22 Northwest of Marietta, OH along Hwy 26, known as the covered bridge road. I was on my way to ride the Ohio Dragon, Hwy 536, near Hannibal, OH.

Look East

Come east over the Susquehanna into Lancaster County, we have 29 covered bridges. I lead a MOA covered bridge ride a bunch of years ago, but don't have the route any more.

john

Back