• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

concensus on R1100 spark plugs choice

Sufferin_Boothead

Sufferin Boothead
After all that is written on what spark plug the R1100's should have to perform best, it seems to have come down to Autolite 3923, Autolite 3923 platinum or Bosch 4417.
I'm favouring the platinum but what do you recommend?

The 3923 Platinum work great. Last about 12k. Better choice is the 3923 IR (XP3923). They last about 60k.

But there are discussions about whether iridium is any better than platinum... another oil thread...

I used to buy 3923 copper for $.99 each on special at Autozone or OReilly and just replace them at every 12k service. Platinums are around $3 each and don’t seem to go on sale often, Iridiums around $5-6 each and have never seen them on sale. Personally, I’d never run a plug to 30k miles (platinum) or 100k miles (iridium) when for a buck or two apiece I can have new plugs at every 12k service...
:dunno

Best,
DG

Wow, if you live in the states, count your blessings on the price of plugs. In Canada a double platinum is $9 each and iridium is $12. So what gap would you recommend for a 1995 1100gs?

Wow, if you live in the states, count your blessings on the price of plugs. In Canada a double platinum is $9 each and iridium is $12. So what gap would you recommend for a 1995 1100gs?

Indeed, but in the US the OEM FR6DDC plugs from a dealership have a list price of $15.50 each.

Back