Thread: Intermittent Ignition Fault

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Intermittent Ignition Fault

2007 R1200R, 47K miles. The EWS ring antenna was replaced under warranty by the original owner in 2008. I've had the bike since 2009. The issue I describe below has never previously appeared.

When I insert the key and turn it, sometimes the dash doesn't light up and the diagnostics don't begin. Wiggling the key doesn't help. Turning the key to "Off" and then again to "On" (maybe twice) rectifies the problem. This happens perhaps one start in ten. The physical movement and feeling of the key is unchanged since I've had the bike.

There was a lot of agony on the MOA Forum in 2007-2010 about sudden antenna ring failure, but nothing since and no mention of a replacement ring failure or ring intermittency.

I just connected the GS-911, which returns no faults; the bike's switch positions (kill, starter, and the three BMS-K safeties) are correct.

Seems to me this is likely either a dirty or failing ignition switch (helpfully located underneath the ignition lock, and secured with special anti-theft bolts that must be drilled out) or the EWS antenna ring...even though I've never heard of an intermittent one.

What do you think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dbrick; 10-25-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Could it be the key itself that is somehow faulty and is not always recognized by the EWS?

Did you try with the second key?
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    R1200RT 2007 - IBA # 56396

Hi Daniel,

I didn't try the second hidden-in-the-ridiing-jacket key today, but the last time this happened (last week, I think) I was using the jacket key. Seems more likely that the problem would be in the EWS ring, or the ignition switch, rather than in both keys.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Hi Daniel,

I didn't try the second hidden-in-the-ridiing-jacket key today, but the last time this happened (last week, I think) I was using the jacket key. Seems more likely that the problem would be in the EWS ring, or the ignition switch, rather than in both keys.
    Sounds like you usually carry both keys? Working from a sometimes faulty memory here, but I think having two keys in close proximity to the EWS ring can confuse the system. You might try keeping the spare key further away.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Sounds like you usually carry both keys? Working from a sometimes faulty memory here, but I think having two keys in close proximity to the EWS ring can confuse the system. You might try keeping the spare key further away.
    Thanks, Larry. You're right about two keys in proximity. What I remember is that one shouldn't have a second key on the same keyring with the key that's in the ignition. My spare is in a chest pocket of my Darien jacket, and the bike's ignition has operated correctly up 'til now with the spare key in that pocket.

Still, I'll move the spare key further aft. If the ignition fails again, it won't be second key proximity that's causing it.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    FWIW - I have carried mine in the top zippered pocket of my tank bag without any issue yet.