Thread: 2005 R1200gs engine output seal failure

2005 R1200gs engine output seal failure

I have a 2005 r1200gs with 35,000 miles on it and am on my forth engine output seal and third transmission input seal. I now have another seal failure, not sure which one, transmission or engine.

So far all have been covered under the 3/36 warranty or the 2 year parts warranty once the seals were replaced. The seals were replaced with the following miles. The first seal at 8,000, 12,000, 21,000, 22,000, 28,000, 30,000 and the last one at 33,000. The miles are approximate. I might have missed one or two replacements.

Any suggestions?

Has anybody gotten their engine replace because of this many seal failure?

Any suggestions on who I should contact to get this problem fixed once and for all?

The last time I had this problem (2500 miles ago) I contacted BMW USA and spoke with a customer service rep. He was nice and even contacted the local dealer about looking at my bike.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Randy

That's tough. Did the same tech do the work? I'd ask them to check shaft run out to see if they are in spec. Also check sealing surface for damage or roughness. I would think that BMW or the dealership would give up after awhile, those repairs must be getting expensive for them.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

A related question on this subject. What would be the normal life expectancy of these seals?

Quote Originally Posted by roburnmc View Post
    A related question on this subject. What would be the normal life expectancy of these seals?
    There a lot of bikes running around with more than 100,000 miles with original seals. It is usually prudent to replace them when the clutch needs to be replaced.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks for the info.
    I have a 2006 r1200gs which I bought new. It has 40,300 miles. I have not replace any of these seals or the clutch to date. Dealer says it's about a 2k job parts and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    ...I would think that BMW or the dealership would give up after awhile, those repairs must be getting expensive for them.
    Wait till it is out of warranty. The repairs will now be on the OP's nickel.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    Wait till it is out of warranty. The repairs will now be on the OP's nickel.

Chris
    Two year warranty, parts and labor, on genuine BMW parts installed by a dealer.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

OP was from 2010 and recall another very long thread and lots of opinions
    Was a very strange repeat issue

We have a 130K,109K and a 30K mileage Hexheads...not worried until it presents an issue or am there for other reasons.
    I wouldn't worry about it unless bike sits for years in the Sahara
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Was it possible the shaft was damaged at a seal replacement at some time. Or the wrong seal or seal installed backwards. A tech will put things back as they find it most times, so when an error is made, it often gets repeated. How does the removed seal look, worn out or good. I am of the opinion seal should be lubricated when installed.

Rod

Just a FWIW - the last time the OP was on the forum was 07-01-2014 - so chances of getting an answer or his seeing the comments are slim unless he subscribed to the thread.

Just looked - the reason he stopped visiting in 2014 was the bike was in an accident and he bought a Suzuki as a replacement: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...ht=#post898164
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!