• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Noise

mandarin

2000 r1150gs. 70k

Engine knocks. Understatement.

Set the rocker shafts. Minimum clearance.

Put in 1200 pushrods. Could tell a difference in head noise after but changed this knock not one bit.

Chain tensioners replaced. No change.

Noise changes slightly with clutch depressed. Worst at steady 16-1800 then release the throttle. Can actually feel the knocking in pegs.

Can only think bearings have play. Possibly rear main bearing? Can I check for rear bearing play without pulling engine?

Engine runs amazing with no hesitation. No surging. Doesn’t burn oil. Just sounds so bad once warm people actually ask if engine is failing.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil Discussion Alert!

What are you using for oil?

My '04RT at purchase with 104,000 miles had a disconcerting knock when It was hot with the clutch lever pulled in that was all but eliminated when I started using Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 oil.

My first oil change when chasing the racket was to Amzoil 20-50 and that didn't seem to help much; then I tried the Mobil 1 V-twin oil and have used it exclusively ever since.

I know there's an underlying cause for the knock and/but I'm still waiting for the stupid thing to roll over and die at 123,000 miles. Because of the mc's previous use I suspect the thrust bearing, what or wherever that is, is worn.

Available at Wally World in the US most of the time and probably other places as well.

I also use the Mobil 1 MI-102 filter because it is readily available here at the Canadian Tire emporium and it seems to perform adequately.

YMMV & donning Nomex. :)

What are you using for oil?

My '04RT at purchase with 104,000 miles had a disconcerting knock when It was hot with the clutch lever pulled in that was all but eliminated when I started using Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 oil.

My first oil change when chasing the racket was to Amzoil 20-50 and that didn't seem to help much; then I tried the Mobil 1 V-twin oil and have used it exclusively ever since.

I know there's an underlying cause for the knock and/but I'm still waiting for the stupid thing to roll over and die at 123,000 miles. Because of the mc's previous use I suspect the thrust bearing, what or wherever that is, is worn.

Available at Wally World in the US most of the time and probably other places as well.

I also use the Mobil 1 MI-102 filter because it is readily available here at the Canadian Tire emporium and it seems to perform adequately.

YMMV & donning Nomex. :)

Will do that this week. Anything opposed to teardown.

Am going to pull trans this winter for splines. Guess we will see if there are any leftover beer caps rattling around in there.

Thanks much

I will most surely. Lots of good reads here and helpful folks. Bike is getting some age but I like it enough to do what I need to get it right.

Back