• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It Has Arrived - BMW what are you bringing to the table?

Still, I'd expect a bike as large as the GW to have more capacity, both for luggage and fuel. That fuel tank is 1.5-2.5 gallons too small for long distance travel.

There is usually a Dairy Queen within 180 miles or so. Thus a stop is planned anyway.

Found a pic of the GW bag:
7-18-honda-gold-wing-saddlebag.jpg

The interior is very oddly shaped, making it hard to use efficiently. (I thought the RT pannier was bad!) Looks like it has lots of wasted space under the bodywork.

2018 Gold Wing Dealer Video

Here's what the dealers were sent as info on the new Gold Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0JEGAPd5A

Honda appears to have set its sights on the K1600GTL/GT as the model for the redesign of the Wing.

For comparison:

2018 BMW K1600GTL luggage capacity = 115 liters; wet weight = 772 lbs
2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour luggage capacity = 110 liters; wet weight - 833 lbs

What I like about the Honda is that GPS is standard; there are NO factory options, only dealer options. And, Honda dealers are everywhere.

However, my 2018 R1200RT weighs 604 lbs, and has all the features of the new Honda and GTL. It's the perfect bike for me.

However, my 2018 R1200RT weighs 604 lbs, and has all the features of the new Honda and GTL. It's the perfect bike for me.

Hey Bob, how do you think you would react to a sport tourer design w/ a P:W ratio slightly greater than your RT, with ABS Pro, Dynamic ESA w/ ride modes, electric screen, ASC, TPM, heated grips/seat, side cases similar R1200RS style included, same ergonomics as your RT, coming in at a wet weight of 520lbs?

Found a pic of the GW bag:
View attachment 64787

The interior is very oddly shaped, making it hard to use efficiently. (I thought the RT pannier was bad!) Looks like it has lots of wasted space under the bodywork.

Still, better than the Victory Vision side cases which looked huge but were not much larger than a lunchbox. Sure, the Vision was a love it / hate it bike but I liked it - YMMV.

Whoa! Déjà vu, reminds me of another oddly shaped, not as big as it looked on the outside, interior.. ..

vetter bag.jpg

The only thing I am not liking is the apparent feet-forward layout. It will be interesting to see how the ergonomics play out. The current GL1800 for all its heft is cramped for tall folks. As far as luggage capacity - a wise old RTW rider told me once that you are not properly packed when nothing else can be added, but when nothing else can be left behind.

Honda stole the headlight design from Toyota. My car has four LED's on each side...the Honda-Potamus has five.

Back