• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It Has Arrived - BMW what are you bringing to the table?

They did, K1200LT.

The K1200LT went out of production 10 years ago. Which of the current boxer models have built-in protection to keep from getting engine damage in even a "SAD" (stopped and dropped)? And the K1600GT...I've read if you get a scratch on the engine, the bike is totaled.

Honda had tip over protection for the ST1100, the ST1300, the NT700V, the NT650 and the Goldwings. Designed in. It protects the engine, even if the bike is moving when it falls. Replacement rubber covers cost about $12. Why doesn't BMW do the same? Just asking...

Chris

Honda had tip over protection for the ST1100, the ST1300, the NT700V, the NT650 and the Goldwings. Designed in. It protects the engine, even if the bike is moving when it falls. Replacement rubber covers cost about $12. Why doesn't BMW do the same? Just asking...

Chris

I guess the short answer is people are still buying them w/o tip over protection, so apparently it isn't high enough of a priority for anyone who ends up pulling the trigger on one of the models that can sustain engine damage w/o some kind of protection. I guess BMW figures it will cost more to add plus risk being a detriment to styling. Some people don't care for cage guards over their boxers either.

Fortunately, if it's a priority for someone they can add the various protection options, so in a small way it also keeps the cost down for those who think they can get away without it. I've thought a lot about getting one of the cage guards for the front but haven't and that in part is from an assumption on my part that static or very low speed tip overs are not going to take out a head. Maybe that's not correct I really don't know. I've seen just one story on a forum w/ photos of heads dragged across the pavement enough to get into moving parts, so clearly any sort of speed drop can end up possibly doing more serious damage w/o serious protection. I also figure that's why I have full insurance coverage if the engine is totaled, so all I installed (dealer threw in) for protection is BMW's valve cover guards and side case bumpers. Wish me continued luck!

All this being said, I'd love BMW to add effective protection...and while they're at it design in a motorized device that will jack the bike back up after I drop it!

Chris

I had a slow speed low side at an intersection on my 06 Honda ST1300. Oil / fuel spill at stop sign. Zero damage except for the plastic piece that covers the tip over bar. I think I gave about $7 for the replacement cover.

Honda has now joined the current decade after 17 years...

How about the new high tech Wishbone front suspension?
80 LBS lighter
20% better Fuel economy
New 7 Speed Automatic transmission option
All new 1833 cc flat 6 - 24 valve engine
4 selectable ride modes

Looks good, should ride better than any Goldwing yet. Still keeping my 2003, but maybe in a few years...

BMW I really like my WetHead R1200R, what are you bringing us in a new K1600?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjB8Z7NDpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaBu8aiaUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7d7ux_6yE

Looks almost exactly like the K1600 Bagger.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/k1600gtl-bagger-by-nicolas-petit-is-a-dream-bmw-100310.html#agal_2

What's Honda's new GW have that the Bagger doesn't have?
Reliability? :wave
(ha ha)

New Goldwing

How does that compare with the 1600GTL weight-wise? I'm sure that Honda did their homework on this one. The 7 speed dual-clutch trans is long overdue

Some quick checking on the Internet yields:
  • BMW K1600B - 741 lbs.
  • Honda Goldwing Manual Version - 787 lbs.
  • H-D Street Glide and Indian Chieftain Dark Horse weigh in at 830 and 831 lbs.
There's a heavier Goldwing version with an airbag and other goodies that is over 800lbs, but the manual version above is more closely comparable to the K1600B...both without a top box.

Chris

Looks good, too. That'll sell well.

Ahhh ...... we'll see. Not too many happy Wingers I've run into over this 're-birth?!'

True, they shaved 90 lbs. off the scale and made the engine more compact (still a flat six, and now actually 1833 cc vs. the 1832 cc of 2017), but some things are but sleight of hand.

For example, though mileage got boosted to 42.5 mpg vs. the old 35-36 mpg's, the redesigned gas tank is 1.1 gallons smaller - end result is still the same old 200 mile range until the idiot light sends you hunting for fuel.

Also, stripping all that weight came at a price - significantly less cargo volume. HONDA had the audacity to pass that little tweak off as "just learn to pack more efficiently." Not amused.

The 2012 model year was a style up-grade (I own one) that resulted in increased cargo space, which Wing affectionados had been longing for. The 'new' USTL ("Universal Sport Touring Look") does not impress me.

Got a few things right - ABS now standard, LED lighting and windshield is motorized-adjustable (old standard ones adjusted manually to 7 different positions - no moving parts to break).

The dash is a geek's dream come true. And you thought the BMW 'wheel' had a steep learning curve?!

DCT? If I wanted an automatic-transmission chaueffer, I'd have gotten a sub-compact from Toyota. I prefer to be operating the motorcycle - not the other way around.

If I had the dough, I'd buy a 2017 Wing and leave it in hibernation until my 2012 pukes. Having just rolled over 50,000 miles in five summers yesterday, enjoying a late-Fall ride of a 3-day trip to the St. Louis Zoo and back, I marveled at its reliability, comfort, performance and asthetics. Going to be a long time before it gets retired - critical components engineered for 300k.

Yeah, Yeah ........... the 'future' is coming: DCT, electric propulsion, riding modes, etc. I'll just change lanes to get out of it's way and ride a traditional, internal combustion motorcycle, manually shifting along my path into the sunset. :lurk

Last edited:
A 5 year old FJR smokes it.
?new suspension?
Didn't K bikes have that 12 years ago?
I love ALL things Honda. (especially a street legal XR 400)
Pious Prius owners get back over to the anti Prius thread to continue your pro slow clutter!
IMG_2924.jpg
You can not legislate common sense.
Slower traffic keep right! (or left if in some locals)
BTW it's a Preas! [sic]

Last edited:
Ahhh ...... we'll see. Not too many happy Wingers I've run into over this 're-birth?!'

Some of them wanted bigger seats since ma and pa have put on some weight, 2000cc’s, 150 hp, 200 liters storage, more weight than the new Venture, and an upholstered seat for the stuffed teddy bear. These are not motorcyclists. They are RV’ers.

With my minimalist mind, I probably shouldn't try to analyze what might happen in the luxo tourer market. :D

Hardly a 'minimalist mind" sir.

And you might even be right, but I'm leaving the door open for some doubt. This is a market harder to predict because it's based on personal passions, rather then staples such as housing, municipal bonds, citrus crops, etc.

While some features intriqued me, such as standardized ABS and a 6th gear (though I'd need a test drive to see if HONDA got that right and lowered the gearing starting out from a stop?!), it's now just a USTL, and compromised much of what makes a long-distance two-up touring machine.

Obviously catering to a younger demographic, I fear the legendary Wing may be fading into the sunset. :violin

Glad I lived and rode in a time when that 904 lb. "RV," as another poster so in-graciously tagged it, existed, immune from the onslaught of the 'millennials.'

Having found myself boxed in at a busy gas station on the south side of I-64, across from the St. Louis Zoo that I was visiting last week, I simply executed a hairpin 180 degree turn, threaded my way thru a serpentine of patrons still fueling and made a seamless escape. My SO verbally marveled at the maneuver while I just smiled inside my lid - to me, the weight of any motorcycle is irrelevant to it's 'fun factor' - the skill and confidence of the rider is what breathes life into any machine. :bikes

Some of them wanted bigger seats since ma and pa have put on some weight, 2000cc’s, 150 hp, 200 liters storage, more weight than the new Venture, and an upholstered seat for the stuffed teddy bear. These are not motorcyclists. They are RV’ers.

You may be right - having passed triked-out Wings pulling camping trailers with twin kayaks mounted on top, I wonder what thrill they are getting from their open-air experience?!

For the record, I strap our little stuffed Panda to the rear trunk handle, eliminating my need for the upholstered third seat. :dance

Some quick checking on the Internet yields:
  • BMW K1600B - 741 lbs.
  • Honda Goldwing Manual Version - 787 lbs.
  • H-D Street Glide and Indian Chieftain Dark Horse weigh in at 830 and 831 lbs.
There's a heavier Goldwing version with an airbag and other goodies that is over 800lbs, but the manual version above is more closely comparable to the K1600B...both without a top box.

Chris

The Honda press release that was being spread alll over recently claimed 916 lbs for the new wing. That may have been with all fluids, ready to ride. Still, FOR ME, that kind of weight equals a big NOPE. :sick My farkled GS is as heavy as I ever want to go.

But, Gold WIngs sell, and this one will be no exception, because there is a strong heavyweight luxo-barge market. I am sure it is a nice bike for those whose tastes are a match.

Someone else commented on the storage. The saddlebags on the new one are (I forget) either 30L or 32L each. That is crazy. I have a pair of Hepco & BEcker 30L saddlebags that I used to run on a sport bike some years back. Fine for the junk you need around town, but IMHO woefully inadequate for touring.

...The saddlebags on the new one are (I forget) either 30L or 32L each. That is crazy. I have a pair of Hepco & BEcker 30L saddlebags that I used to run on a sport bike some years back. Fine for the junk you need around town, but IMHO woefully inadequate for touring.

Stock BMW bags for the 2005-2013 RT are 32L each, Wethead bags are 33L.

One side is sufficient for my clothing, toiletries, bath towel, netbook, electronic accessories. I mix camping and hotel nights, so the other side carries food, water and cooking gear - usually has some unused space. Shad 50L topbox carries tent, sleeping bag and pad, tarp, shoes, rain suit and bike half-cover. Bag liner with clothing goes into the hotel while the rest remains secure on the bike.

This has proved adequate for many solo multi-week trips. Trips with my wife are hotel-only, so camping gear stays home with the kitchen sink.

Still, I'd expect a bike as large as the GW to have more capacity, both for luggage and fuel. That fuel tank is 1.5-2.5 gallons too small for long distance travel.

Last edited:
Back