• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

It Has Arrived - BMW what are you bringing to the table?

JT_R1200S

Boxer Fan
Honda has now joined the current decade after 17 years...

How about the new high tech Wishbone front suspension?
80 LBS lighter
20% better Fuel economy
New 7 Speed Automatic transmission option
All new 1833 cc flat 6 - 24 valve engine
4 selectable ride modes

Looks good, should ride better than any Goldwing yet. Still keeping my 2003, but maybe in a few years...

BMW I really like my WetHead R1200R, what are you bringing us in a new K1600?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWjB8Z7NDpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKaBu8aiaUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7d7ux_6yE

Attachments

• 2018 Goldwing.jpg
    2018 Goldwing.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
It's beautiful, been toying with the idea that I need a K1600 or Goldwing but I wish they would all wake up and start lowering the engine displacements some, BMW included, with 20% fuel mileage increase does that mean it will finally reach 40 mpg? My Passat get's better mileage.

...I wish they would all wake up and start lowering the engine displacements some, BMW included, with 20% fuel mileage increase does that mean it will finally reach 40 mpg? My Passat get's better mileage.

Exactly. I'll refrain from saying what my Prius Prime gets - touchy subject around here!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWjB8Z7NDpc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Interesting.
I'll pack it away in the memory banks and give it another look in two years when used ones will be coming on the market.

yep...

... behind you and next in line... under that $$$ scenario. Great looking machine!

"travel'n" john

I had a serial number 283 Gold Wing in 1975.

1975 easy rider.JPG

I traded it for a 1977 R100RS (that I still have) and have ridden BMW's mostly since then - other than a 1991 ST1100 that I really liked and more recently a 2012 NC700x that bored me stiff. My dad was a Gold Winger, in fact I got him into it, but when he used to ask me why I didn't get back into them I told him I wasn't yet old enough.

With this bike, maybe I am now old enough.

Exactly. I'll refrain from saying what my Prius Prime gets - touchy subject around here!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWjB8Z7NDpc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
My wife gets 68 mpg on hers...

Chris

Did you notice that Honda built-in the tip over wings for protection? Why doesn't BMW do that?

Chris

I think it'll be interesting to see how the bikes come out in comparisons. All the manufacturers have something new in the works. Yamaha with its Star. It sounds like they did a good job designing it, although I'd never get used to the two large scoops in the front. (Do they do anything???) Harley and Indian have their models, even though they seem like old technology or at least old design to me. BMW has the K1600B, and I really liked it when I sat on one in the dealership. And the new Honda Goldwing seems really nice.

Honda has been like the standard to meet for luxury touring bikes to me. I think they have a winner again. And as much as I found I liked the K1600B...I think I'd rather have the Honda instead.

But why do they have to cost as much as my wife's Prius?

Chris

I hate to say that I'd rather have the Honda also. I cannot warm up to a bike that I have to remove a radiator to adjust the valves, or remove the cams to change shims (been there done that).

Can you change the shims on a new Goldwing without removing the cams?

The literature says that it is a unicam engine. If it is typical of other Honda unicam engines, the intake valves are directly actuated by the camshaft and the exhaust valves (which normally need more frequent adjustment) are actuated by rockers with lash adjustment screws. Adjusting the intake valve clearances requires removing the camshaft, but I do not know whether they were clever enough to design it so that the cam timing chains do not need to be removed.

I think the new GW is really beautiful and agree it will sell well. But it's also insane overkill for size and displacement, most especially for 1 up riding! I would love to see them come out with a GW Lite as it were, taking the basic layout including electric screen, heated seats, must have TPM, lose the audio package, and lighten it w/ a 1000cc 4 cylinder engine w/ transverse crankshaft and 50K mile change interval belt drive for weight reduction w/ increased power transfer to the rear wheel, coming in at maybe 530lbs. It would take serious ingenuity to pull this off at this weight, but I think it can be done for certain. This design if done to the level of quality and perfection the new GW is would garner major appeal to the aging crowd who are always inclined to look for less weight but would still love to have most all of the bells and whistles you find on the upper end and always much heavier luxury ST's. Honda has the perfect empty spot in its lineup for this model.

Back