Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration for you young whipper snappers!

Inspiration for you young whipper snappers!

First K1600B sold out of our local small dealership in Nor Cal to this fellow who I ran into in the parking lot as he was getting ready to depart after picking up his Bagger after its 600mi service. I only saw him w/ helmet on but could tell he was my senior. He said he loved the bike already--he traded in his K1600GT, the bike he took to last year's California Superbike School at Thunderhill Raceway on. I asked him if he minded telling me how old he is and his reply was 'I'll be 88 in a week...'

fullsizeoutput_2a2.jpg

Thanks. I ride every now and then with some octogenarians and you are right, they give one hope and inspiration.
    Last edited by akbeemer; 10-29-2017 at 02:16 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    First K1600B sold out of our local small dealership in Nor Cal to this fellow who I ran into in the parking lot as he was getting ready to depart after picking up his Bagger after its 600mi service. I only saw him w/ helmet on but could tell he was my senior. He said he loved the bike already--he traded in his K1600GT, the bike he took to last year's California Superbike School at Thunderhill Raceway on. I asked him if he minded telling me how old he is and his reply was 'I'll be 88 in a week...'

fullsizeoutput_2a2.jpg
    That is pretty cool. The young are too lazy to ride a m/c like some of us do. Good for this guy, and I hope he is still able to ride for years to come.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

That bike is sooo cool. It's gonna bring back a lot of folks to BMW riding. It's not some praying mantis nor some wanna be get out and mess up the forest thing..........Anyway, the guy is just one of many that needs a salute; but just keeps on moving along.......God bless the OCTO's.........

Smile

Good for him!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

"The young are too lazy to ride a m/c like some of us do."

Or perhaps they just choose not to ?
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    Or perhaps they just choose not to ?
    Perhaps because it is much harder to text, snapchat, facebook and drive one?

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post

That's a possibility.......
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Unfortunately, people seem to be able to do all of these things at the same time.... almost.
    Kevin Huddy

Fortes fortuna iuvat
    Some have apparently mastered it. Two summers back while NB on I75 (cant remember if it was in Ohio or Kentucky) I was passed by a future organ donor doing just that. Twenty something using a smartphone riding a crotch rocket wearing a ball hat backwards, tank top and sunglasses.

Awesome that he’s getting out and getting it done. I can only hope I’m still riding and looking forward to the next bike at that age!

Interesting that in a thread celebrating an 88yr-old rider that so many “get off my lawn” commenters have jumped in. Perhaps if we want to see millennials get into riding and hopefully become life-long riders we should...take one for a ride or two?

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

If a person were to stop by Camp Gears for a little while at a National Rally his or her viewpoint about today's youth might be improved. Many of these young people are downright inspiring.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Several years ago I was riding in Spain with a guy who was 82. He out rode us all. (I'm 71 and still riding.)
    2015 R nineT

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    It's not some praying mantis nor some wanna be get out and mess up the forest thing.........
    Which ones are those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over in FJR world a highly regarded inmate died recently in a motorcyle accident. He was 78 at the time of his death and those that were with him believe he had some sort of medical event that caused the accident; no autopsy was conducted so we'll never know. Petey, as he was called, was known as a rider of great ability. I met him only once at a gathering in Red lodge a few years ago. Although he was a long time FJR rider and attended just about every gathering he had switched to a R1200RS. Petey was a German immigrant and was proud of his heritage. I had not seen much of the RS at that point and was eye-balling his bike. I noticed that not only were there no chicken strips on his rear tire, the rubber on the extreme edges of the tire was scuffed and rolled into balls like tires I've seen on road racing bikes. Petey stopped and spoke to me about his bike and he was as easy going and engaging as imaginable. I hope to live to a ripe old age and stay active until the end, but I can think of far worse ways to live out my final days and to die than the way Petey did.
    Kevin Huddy