• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW 2002 1200 LT battery change problems

pitchn

Hi I am Pitchn from Tennessee, I have a used 2002 BMW 1200
LT and I recently changed the battery and after that it will not start? The battery voltage is 13.56 volts lights are bright when I turn the key and I have brake failure light on, battery light on, and oil light on. Bike will not crank over, with side stand up? Any thoughts? I read the forums about Turing off the alarm with the key fob. I found the key fob, but it did not work. I replaced the fob battery with a new CR2032 battery that was in it. Did not work, put in a new battery and it still did not work? Confused!!!

Welcome to the forum! Your technical issues will get better exposure if the Flying Brick K-Bike forum area. Hang on while a moderator moves your post in a little bit.

Check Connections First

Hi I am Pitchn from Tennessee, I have a used 2002 BMW 1200
LT and I recently changed the battery and after that it will not start? The battery voltage is 13.56 volts lights are bright when I turn the key and I have brake failure light on, battery light on, and oil light on. Bike will not crank over, with side stand up? Any thoughts? I read the forums about Turing off the alarm with the key fob. I found the key fob, but it did not work. I replaced the fob battery with a new CR2032 battery that was in it. Did not work, put in a new battery and it still did not work? Confused!!!

Hi Pitchn,

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd suggest checking all connections at the battery first (always look where you just worked when troubleshooting). For example, there should be at least TWO wires connected to the negative battery terminal, maybe more if you've got some aftermarket accessories on your LT.

I've personally seen situations where even an experienced technician simply forgot to connect that second ground wire to the battery on a K1200(RS/GT/LT) and IIRC the symptoms were similar to what you've described. "rake failure light on, battery light on, and oil light on..." is a clue. What about the neutral light? Is the brake failure light flashing or is it on constantly? Battery and oil lights on steady wth flashing ABS light is normal when key is turned on before cranking. I prefer to start engine while in neutral, as indicated by the green "N" light, instead of trusting the clutch cut-out switch.

Some additional questions for clarification:
- Did your K1200LT run before you changed the battery?
- Did it even turn over before that?
- How long since it last ran?
- Were all lights (including instruments) working prior?
- Neutral indicator lamp?
- Clutch cutout switch?
- Side stand switch?
- Kill switch? Check position! (Obvious, but it happens.)
- Have you ever (or recently) used the alarm? Assuming not given your comment about finding the key fob.

I'm not sure about the alarm, but suspect that may be a red herring in this case. Check and double-check ALL connections, especially any ground wires that could have been disturbed when you changed the battery.

Also, what about the other lights? Headlight? Tailight? Brake light? Turn signals? The headlight should come on when you turn the ignition key, then turn off momentarily when the starter button is pressed. If not, suspect the load shed relay.

Hope this helps. Please keep us posted as you continue troubleshooting.

-MTS

Can you hear the fuel pump charge the lines when you first turn the key on? That should be the sign that the bike is ready to start.

Other than that, I've had the "oops, kill switch engaged" issue.

Back